• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Hold on now, two of those "overhyped" defensive players we spent millions on, were guys you wanted for us. SJD and Austin Johnson.
    pretty sure you were on board with JCJ too.

I won't deny that I was good with all three. We WILL draft defense. Need 1 or 2 LBs and a DT at least. 1 or 2 CBs. But we need a TE and OC and RB as well.

A couple of those will come as FAs.

Clever trades need to be made and MAYBE a move down to #8. Harbaugh is going to get his TE.
    Hold on now, those two proved to do exactly what Staley wanted them to do in his defense. It was the LB's, CB's, and safeties that didn't do their parts. I was not a JCJ promoter. Time and time again, Trent McDuffie was the guy I wanted. After Mack was signed, I said "No way we can afford another free agent signing". Everyone went bat-shit crazy for the JCJ signing (including you)... while my enthusiasm was tempered with the reality the cap-hell awaited us.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Austin Johnson was JAG. SJD had his moments but not very many of them.

If you want 1-2 LBs, a DT, 1-2 CBs, a TE, OC and RB in this draft, get on board with trading down a lot further than #8 to to stockpile picks in the value rounds, 2-4, which is where we will find this bounty. That means no Brock Bowers.
      There's other ways to get picks. I just can't predict that. But starting a move to 8 is a start.

Interesting that someones mock here (think La Costa Boy)had us trading our 5 and Joey for their 8, 43 and their 4th.

I'd think we could get one of their 3rds instead of the 4th, or maybe the 4th as well.
      That's also a start and another way to get picks.

And there's no way around it. We are going to have to sign a couple FAs. They just won't be big splash types.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I have faith in Jim to get it right. I dont forgive you...things WILL BE DIFFERENT.

The past is the past...what needs to happen will happen. If its defense, Im in...just my personal opinion we get Herbert off the ground first.

There are almost always top ten defenders...usually edge...just not this year. You have to see that...really...

You are right...we dont have to give up some of our defenders...we can bring them back, maybe cheap...and get alot more from them with coaching. Mike Davis comes to mind...

But...I said I trust in Jim. Trade back, go defense and RB...try running back the TE group with coaching...maybe.

Honestly, "What Lola wants...Lola gets..." Lola being Jim, and some will get the reference.. be very interesting to see what he does this year. I will be sold on whatever he decides year one...but its no secret Im a Harbaugh fanboy.
        You can get "Herbert off the ground" by running the ball better. His best year by far (2021) we ran the ball better... even with Storm Norton @RT. Our TE was Jared Fricking Cook....

The only thing I see at everyone's Top-10... are offensive players. But I see a CB (possibly 2 now) and 2 pass-rushers in the Top-12 (maybe 13).
        My CB shut down everybody's #7 pick WR. You have to see that... really.

BTW... you mis-understand me if you think I want to bring back some of our defensive FA's.
        K9... bye
        AJ... nope
        Vato and his up/down... nada

We won't be bringing back anybody. Defense or offense. If they're back on cheap deals... it's because we're cheap. It doesn't mean they're good. In fact, I'd cut Kendricks... age and price. Anybody who might be decent (Gilman) will probably be paid decently.

I want to draft defensive players that fit Harbaugh/Minter. 4-year contracts on ascending/developing players is how you get better.
        OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Hold on now, those two proved to do exactly what Staley wanted them to do in his defense. It was the LB's, CB's, and safeties that didn't do their parts. I was not a JCJ promoter. Time and time again, Trent McDuffie was the guy I wanted. After Mack was signed, I said "No way we can afford another free agent signing". Everyone went bat-shit crazy for the JCJ signing (including you)... while my enthusiasm was tempered with the reality the cap-hell awaited us.
          SJD and AJ weren't all that. Fact is you still promoted them heavy.
          I wanted the BJ HIll but he resigned with Cinci and was fine with SJD and AJ.
          I'm just saying now you are calling them over hyped and we spent millions like they wasted money and you were the cheerleader for them.
          You got to take the pats on the back as well as the kick in the nads on these.

And even after JCJ we still wanted to draft a CB. I liked McDuffie as well on top of others. We still needed a CB and got 2 late picks there.
          I thought JC would be a good player for us but I didn't know he was a head case.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

SJD and AJ weren't all that. Fact is you still promoted them heavy.
            I wanted the BJ HIll but he resigned with Cinci and was fine with SJD and AJ.
            I'm just saying now you are calling them over hyped and we spent millions like they wasted money and you were the cheerleader for them.
            You got to take the pats on the back as well as the kick in the nads on these.

And even after JCJ we still wanted to draft a CB. I liked McDuffie as well on top of others. We still needed a CB and got 2 late picks there.
            I thought JC would be a good player for us but I didn't know he was a head case.
            LOL! While not spectacular, SJD did exactly what he supposed to do in Staley's defense. The run defense improved dramatically once Tranquil left and Kendricks replaced him. Staley's IDL's are not run stuffers. They control gaps, push the ball carrier outside, and rely on LB's and safeties to read/react and tackle. Tranquil and K9 sucked at that. I'm sorry you didn't see that.

And while BJ Hill's PFF scores may be a few points higher... the Bengals run defense was one of worst in football.
            If you need to get into a myguy/yourguy battle, maybe we should talk about Marvin Mims vs Tank Dell.... I know, he's small.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• BigBad
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Interesting....

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Previously, I've covered the Falcons and Vikes as possible trading partners for our #5 pick...another team that needs a QB is the Jets. I might offer our #5 for their #10, plus #72 and #112. Due to the fact that they don't have any 2nd rounders, I would insist on next year's 1st rounder also. Not the best trading partner, because I want a 2nd rounder this year, plus at least a 3rd rounder this year also...but for next year's 1st rounder plus those other picks, it might work. If they throw in next year's 2nd rounder also, that would seal the deal...

image.png

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

You can get "Herbert off the ground" by running the ball better. His best year by far (2021) we ran the ball better... even with Storm Norton @RT. Our TE was Jared Fricking Cook....

The only thing I see at everyone's Top-10... are offensive players. But I see a CB (possibly 2 now) and 2 pass-rushers in the Top-12 (maybe 13).

BTW... you mis-understand me if you think I want to bring back some of our defensive FA's.
                  K9... bye
                  AJ... nope

We won't be bringing back anybody. Defense or offense. If they're back on cheap deals... it's because we're cheap. It doesn't mean they're good. In fact, I'd cut Kendricks... age and price. Anybody who might be decent (Gilman) will probably be paid decently.

I want to draft defensive players that fit Harbaugh/Minter. 4-year contracts on ascending/developing players is how you get better.
                  So we go all in on defense, and watch Herbert, our 50 plus mil a year QB, stagnate yet again...I dont see it at the expense of drafting Koolaid...just dont.

I believe the defense was undercoached...or actually, overcoached...changes there too...just not with first pick. Totally unimpressed with corners or edge...WR, OT, and Bowers? They move the needle. The talent pool is what it is. Trade back more than 8? We'll talk...otherwise, no brainer.

Again...our roster moves prior to the draft can change things a ton...but regardless...there is not one defender in this draft worth a top 5...or 8 pick. IMO.

Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

K9... bye
                    AJ... nope

Loads of 3rd and longs that year, when they were 'running the ball better'.

Herbert kept on bailing them out. Why? I couldn't say.
                    He had both Mike Williams and Keenan Allen available that year .... something he hasn't had the last 2 years.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Love this guy's size and speed.

7. Brevyn Spann-Ford*, TE, Minnesota
                      Height: 6-7. Weight: 270.
                      Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
                      Projected Round (2024): 3-5.

1/27/24: Spann-Ford is a Y tight end prospect who offers big size at the point of attack. In 2023, he recorded 25 receptions for 239 yards and two touchdowns. In 2022, he caught 42 passes for 497 yards and two touchdowns. Team sources said Spann-Ford impressed them in their film study.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I still like the Falcons as our #1 trading partner. In exchange for our #5 overall, we only move down to #8, where there should still be some of the more premium players. If Alt is there, that would be very cool. But even one of the top CBs would be nice. We also get #43 and #74. I might even play hardball and also ask for #79. If they push back and stay that's too steep, throw them a bone and let them have that 7th rounder we got for Tranq...

image.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

LOL! While not spectacular, SJD did exactly what he supposed to do in Staley's defense. The run defense improved dramatically once Tranquil left and Kendricks replaced him. Staley's IDL's are not run stuffers. They control gaps, push the ball carrier outside, and rely on LB's and safeties to read/react and tackle. Tranquil and K9 sucked at that. I'm sorry you didn't see that.

And while BJ Hill's PFF scores may be a few points higher... the Bengals run defense was one of worst in football.
                          If you need to get into a myguy/yourguy battle, maybe we should talk about Marvin Mims vs Tank Dell.... I know, he's small.
                          I am not getting into a my guy/ your guy battle. I've said twice I was fine with those two.

I'm not a pat myself in the back type. I'll admit when I'm wrong.

I am pointing out that you were the one that wanted them the most here and now you are calling them over hyped and wasted money. You are back peddling.

This isn't about me at all.

I'm not even criticizing them. Just pointing out that you were their cheerleader like you are now the cheerleader for Kool aid, and now calling them over hyped lol.

As for Tank Dell, my only problem with him is he is small. I don't prefer those guys because of injuries. And he has been good, but was injured 3 times this season. Same with Achane.

Mims didn't have a great rookie year....neither did his QB,.. but he has time still.

But this isn't about who is a scout and isnt. You can have that it you need it, I dont mean that much to me.

None of us are getting paid here.

Comment

Working...
                          X