• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electricgold
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

KC definitely does have great CB's. Trent McDuffie has a PFF score of 82.9 and L'Jarius Snead has a score of 71.1. McDuffie was my 1st round choice in 2022... before we blew millions on JCJ. I know no one puts merit in PFF (unless it fits their needs). But in this case, a neutral evaluation is needed. I see Trent McDuffie as a great CB. Some will make the case that Snead was only a 4th round pick. But he was only average before McDuffie was drafted (64.1 in 2021). And this is what I'm talking about... if you get a shut down CB, all of your other CB's will improve because they are now allowed to do other things and no longer asked to cover guys they just can't cover.

Improve the OL blocking... and we will be scoring 30 points per game. We were scoring 28 points per game 2 years ago with Jared Cook @TE. Of course, we were also running the ball @4.3 ypc instead of 3.8 ypc.
    KC does not have great CB's! They are solid! Did either make the pro bowl this year?! Also you can get a solid CB in the 4th round, Snead is proof that you can! That's the main point.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Yeah, if you want a TE that can catch and run block... Stover is a good choice. So is Ben Sinnott. You can probably get them in the 4th round. If you could get either one by early 5th... you've got a deal.

If you're looking for a TE that is more receiver... then Jaheim Bell. Late 3rd or early 4th...?
      Brevynn Spann-Ford is this year's big bodied TE (6-7, 275). Unlike last year's darling (Darnel Washington) he can actual run and catch... 5th/6th round value.

With KA (probable extention), Joshua Palmer, and QJ (you have to develop him sometime)... I'm just not desperate to draft a TE (certainly not 1st round). We have waaaay bigger needs.
      I think it's fair to start thinking of Bowers as a TE with true WR flexibility.
      if that helps justify a top 6 pick on him.
      Darius "4.36" Davis
      top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I agree... this TE class kinda weak.
        Kincaid was not on top of my list last year. CB was on my list... even with JCJ coming back off injury. I was in the minority last year.
        I think everybody believed that Kincaid would transform an offense. But the Bills offense is worse this year in nearly every offensive area.
        So, I'm not buying that narrative... especially considering our roster. KA is JH's focal point. He will get the targets. He's always open.
        On top of that, Joshua Palmer is a sneaky good WR... who IMO doesn't get enough looks (see comments about KA and JH).
        And then you have Quentin Johnston... IMO, he was a developmental pick with physical traits. I saw him as a 2nd round WR.
        Are we simply giving up on him...? Do we really believe that he is only a #5 target (behind KA, JP, 1st round TE, and probably a RB)...?

I'm still on the hunt for a shut-down CB. I think Kool-Aid is that. College coaches thought that... they rarely threw his way. Nick Saban thought that as well... as he left McKinstry on an island and thought he could lock-down the whole right side of the field. Do I thinkl he's as good as Surtain or Sauce Gardner...? Probably not. But is he good enough to allow a DC to use him 1v1 against most NFL receivers...? Yeah. And that is valuable to a defense. It allows others around him to play to their strengths... and not just the other CB's. LB's and safeties that had cover zones of the field that they no longer have to cover.

Stover and Sinnott I think can be had in the 4th round... that's where the value is @TE. The 1st thru 3rd rounds have value @positions we desperately need. IMO, more desperately than TE. CB, center, and EDGE (replace JB or KM). RB is a huge need, too. Luckily, I think this draft is pretty deep @RB. The IDL will need a starting-quality player, too. Both SDJ and Austin Johnson are/will be gone.

I highlighted the last sentence... It should read, "Unless we upgrade some positions on D... we will be in a lot of shootouts..."
        Turnovers. Allen hasn't been as consistent. He has 16 INTs and 5 fumbles. Gabe Davis hasn't been as involved while Kincaid took over at TE mid season.
        They are only about 150 rushing yards away from last year's total.

Can't speak for their OL.

As for TEs....you calling it value, i call it weak. The 4th rounders in this draft are 5th and 6th rounders if they are in last year's draft.
        Id love Stover if we didn't need a starter right away.....but we do and Bowers would of been my #1 TE last year as well.

I'm all for needing CBs but the class is pretty good this year. Need to get the offense going next season. That means TE and RBs and OC.
        Reciever in there as well.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-04-2024, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

KC does not have great CB's! They are solid! Did either make the pro bowl this year?! Also you can get a solid CB in the 4th round, Snead is proof that you can! That's the main point.
          For what it's worth...

Sauce Gardner: PFF 86.7
          Trent McDuffie: PFF 82.9
          Jalen Ramsey: PFF 72.6
          Pat Surtain: PFF 69.9
          Denzel Ward: PFF 69.6

L'Jarius Snead : 2021 (year before McDuffie) PFF 64.1
          L'Jarius Snead: 2022 (after McDuffie.. #2 duties) PFF 76.1

That's the main point.
          OLineCentric

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

How many Third Down stops are fails because of our DB tackling and lack of inside pressure ?

A shutdown CB can take away the #1 weapon, yes, and make the field smaller for others in coverage.

However, a lot of the damage is done by ancillary weapons, as QBs look for mismatches.

Every year, at an exponential rate, quality weapons are drafted.

What to do ?
            Win the line or scrimmage.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

For what it's worth...

That's the main point.
              PFF analytics does not make a player great unless you look at things like Brandon Staley does! All the DB's you listed above are better than KC's DB's! That's the total point!

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2023
                • Send PM

For what it's worth...

That's the main point.
                McDuffie is primarily a slot corner in K.C.: not a fair comparison with Gardner., Ramsey, Surtain.

You'd rather have McDuffie?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

I thought we were spending Pick #6 on a shutdown Corner !?!

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

PFF analytics does not make a player great unless you look at things like Brandon Staley does! All the DB's you listed above are better than KC's DB's! That's the total point!
                    Agree, maybe Snead just got better with another season under his belt. Isn't that what you hope for , is your players get better?

I mean isn't there another site that does something similar? PFF makes me cringe.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-04-2024, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

and ironically enough, 'tis prolly the best/No. 1 ranked team that he goes to.... they know.... they know enough to draft IDL, and early.... will wager that the Rams are a high likelihood destination for Jer'Zhan.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

very curious as to whom our new GM might be, and what his philosophy might be re: trading down ??

could see the Raiders wanting to move up for Jayden Daniels, and giving us their next year's No. 1, and....

could see the NY Giants trading back up into the first for a Daniel Jones hedge, and which could also cost them a next year's No. 1

would you do that ?? and who will be there w/two picks early in the second ??

Terrion Arnold/Kalen King @CB ?? and for myself, the other selection would be T'Vondre Sweat @NT.

if we traded down just the once, guessing that the either of McKinstry or several of the Dline pass rushers would still be on the board.... ??

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Ok, here I go with my first mock of 2024. The thought of having a weapon like Bowers, Nabers or Odunze is very appealing. I’m going in a different direction with this one. I’m doing a trade back with Atlanta to 9 and picking up an extra 3rd.

1st rd- CB Kool-Aid McKinstry
                          2nd rd- DT Kris Jenkins
                          3rd rd- RB Braelon Allen
                          3rd rd- WR Roman Wilson
                          4th rd- TE Cade Stover
                          5th rd- OL Jack Nelson
                          6th rd- LB Michael Barrett
                          7th rd- OL Andrew Raym
                          7th rd- RB Keilan Robinson (Possible Compensatory Pick)

I know, I’m missing an Edge in this one. Hopefully after cuts, extensions and restructures, they will have some money to sign a good rotational depth piece behind Mack and Tuli like AJ Epenesa.
                          Last edited by Boltinloudguy; 01-04-2024, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X