• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Depending on who we retain the defense can be vastly improved with getting some real CBs. The crutch of the team was fourth and fail Staley and his stupid defensive schemes.
    Better CBs would solve 60% of our defensive issues.

On the other hand the offense needs an over hall and at important positions such as O line, RB, TE, and even WR. I don't disagree that CB and edge are important cogs of the D.
    But you can find DTs in every round and the same goes for OGs. OTs, CBs and edge rushers are premium positions. But the the kind of players that Harrison and Bowers are can
    change the whole dynamics of the offense and make no mistake about it, this is an QB offensive league.

All you have to do is watch the 49ers. The D got burned for 29 points and lost because the 49ers put up 45.

I humbly disagree with you. If it's between Harrison, Bowers or the top rated CB I go with one of the two.
    I would take Harrison if he were available when we pick. I doubt he will be there. He looks like he could be better than his father, a first-ballot Hall of Famer, was. I'll be surprised if he's not selected third overall.

Bowers, to me, is not this generational talent so many are building him up to be. I could see him having a similar career to Jeremy Shockey, a first-rounder who was selected before Ed Reed (a true generational talent who was also a first-rounder) and Jason Witten (a third-rounder) in that same draft.

"Generational talent" is the most overused description of a very talented player at the start of his career. If they were coming out now I'm sure people would be calling Shockey, Kellen Winslow II, Vernon Davis,and Eric Ebron generational talents at the tight end position. Just two years ago Kyle Pitts was being called a generational talent. While he's good, I'm sure the Falcons would rather have Micah Parsons, Penei Sewell, Patrick Surtain, or Rashawn Slater right now. They could have taken Pat Freiermuth in the second round of that same draft. Freiermuth has 141 receptions for 1,472 yards and 11 touchdowns in 41 games (24 starts) so far in his career. Pitts has 143 receptions for 1,958 yards and five touchdowns in 41 games (37 starts) so far in his career. Pitts was selected fourth overall; Freiermuth went 55th.

And while what you said about how you can find offensive tackles, cornerbacks, and pass-rushers in every round is true, it's much more common for tight ends, which I have mentioned multiple times with Rob Gronkowski (second round), Sam LaPorta (second round), Travis Kelce (third round), Witten (third round), Mark Andrews (fourth round), Jake Ferguson (fourth round), George Kittle (fifth round), Darren Waller (sixth round), and Shannon Sharpe (seventh round).

I don't know what your point is regarding yesterday's win for the 49ers. That's like saying the 2000 Baltimore Ravens won with offense because they beat the Jacksonville Jaguars 39-36 in a regular-season game Tony Banks threw five touchdown passes. It's like saying the Chiefs won with defense last season because they beat the Bengals 23-20 in the AFC Championship Game.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Answer: they are both on Sports Illustrated all time 6th round draft selection team. Clary is their RT.
      We lost a playoff game at DEN because Clary was injured.
      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Completely agree with DerwinBosa.

MHJ
        Kool-Aid
        Latu
        Odunze
        Fashanu
        OLineCentric

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

The Chiefs struck gold with Tyreek Hill and Kelce awhile back, so they have not needed to spend a 1rst rounder on a receiver.
          Although Hill left last year, it came after that draft and they then won a Super Bowl without him.

Hill and Kelce fell because of 'behavioral' isssues .... Reid doesn't mind picking up those types.

Given their situation, look for them to spend a 1rst on a receiver next draft .... unless they are targeting a guy who beat up a girl friend and will be available later on.
          Reid has picked two wide receivers in the first round in his entire head-coaching career--Jeremy Maclin and Freddie Mitchell--and zero on tight ends. Two defensive linemen he drafted in the first round (Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham) are still starting in Philadelphia. He used eight first-round picks on offensive and defensive linemen in Philadelphia. His best tight ends in Philadelphia were Chad Lewis (undrafted free agent) and Brent Celek (fifth round). If that doesn't tell you what Reid prioritizes regarding positions I don't know what will.

I don't recall anyone raving about Travis Kelce's playing ability heading into his draft the way so many are of Brock Bowers now.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

The chargers look like a lock to pick in the top ten, and I think they will also need to trade some of their aging star players due to salary cap problems, this coming draft could be interesting one both from the early pick position but also from an overall draft capital POV...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Classic
              Hall Of Fame
              • Dec 2014
              • Send PM

Hopefully the 2023 Chargers are in a similar place to the 2000 Chargers and a bad season leads us to drafting two HOF players with our fist two picks. Two HOF players who would become the building blocks to imo the most succesful era in Chargers history.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Like the Lions did last year ?
                Gibbs and Laporta.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Irmo, SC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Reid has picked two wide receivers in the first round in his entire head-coaching career--Jeremy Maclin and Freddie Mitchell--and zero on tight ends. Two defensive linemen he drafted in the first round (Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham) are still starting in Philadelphia. He used eight first-round picks on offensive and defensive linemen in Philadelphia. His best tight ends in Philadelphia were Chad Lewis (undrafted free agent) and Brent Celek (fifth round). If that doesn't tell you what Reid prioritizes regarding positions I don't know what will.

I don't recall anyone raving about Travis Kelce's playing ability heading into his draft the way so many are of Brock Bowers now.
                  I'm not a draftnik so I can only comment on what I've seen and Bowers is the real deal. I was never that high on Pitts coming out. His game tape didn't translate to the projections they were making, IMO. If you are gunshy of Bowers in the Top 10 and I don't think there's a chance in Hell that he gets out of the Top 10, which TEs do you have right below him?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    JH3 and Me
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

In my unprofessional opinion Marvin Harrison, Jr. is the best player in the draft. He's the one skill player on offense I would to take in the top ten. I think we have no chance of getting him, though.
                    This. If MH2 fell to us, we absolutely have to take him. “Generational” doesn’t fully highlight how unique this young man is. He is gone in top 4 picks, perhaps top 2.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Nabers, Nabers, Nabers....Total Mike Williams replacement and looks good from the get go...They expect him to be drafted top ten as well and maybe going as high to Chicago at #5 pick.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This. If MH2 fell to us, we absolutely have to take him. “Generational” doesn’t fully highlight how unique this young man is. He is gone in top 4 picks, perhaps top 2.
                        Fell? I think if he's at #3-4 we move up a couple of spots and go after him.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Answer: they are both on Sports Illustrated all time 6th round draft selection team. Clary is their RT.
                          Wow...wonder if that was another SI AI generated article...

The magazine denied claims that some articles themselves were AI-assisted, but has cut ties with a vendor it hired to produce the articles.

Comment

Working...
                          X