• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Burton
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2023
    • Send PM

I’d love to get this guy too.. I don’t even know if he makes it out of the third..

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post
      I’d love to get this guy too.. I don’t even know if he makes it out of the third..

Yes! Definitely one of those 3rd round talents that probably gets pushed into the 4th round because the WR class is so deep.
      See all of those long catches for TDs...? A lot of them coming off of play-action. Perfect fit for the Greg Roman offense.
      OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

He’s my WR2 if we don’t get MHJ. Guy feels like a good blend of KA and MW. Plus he could be the Julio Jones prospect that Harbaugh wanted.
        My amateur take on pros and cons

Pros:
        - elite size/strength combined with skill for shielding smaller DBs away from the ball. Very MDub like in his almost power forward post-up ability to create a safe spot the QB can throw where he has the strength and hands to always get it. Herbert is a great QB to deliver these types of passes.
        - excellent hands - strong, sure, reliable point of attack receiver
        - pro-level long speed 4.4x - safeties cannot cheat up on him in the box, but he does need time to get into his route
        - beats press coverage - again, strength and power-forward like skills to fight thru DBs
        - HUGE red zone target, fades, back shoulders, etc become almost undefendable with an accurate QB like Herbie (side note, Penix ability to accurately place it where he has his big body/screen advantage set up is not fully appreciated by scouts imo - if Penix was not accurate, DBs are almost always nearby).

Cons
        - lacks elite burst/change of direction to separate. Almost all “highlights” have him fairly well covered, DBs just can’t stop him from catching it
        - … his few wide open highlights are almost always busted coverage/DB mistakes any receiver will be open on.
        - due to this - also only has nominal YAC. His big YAC plays are busted coverage or fooled defenses on reverses etc. Will have even less in NFL. I’m not the biggest YAC fanatic - if a guy is gaining 20 ypc, I don’t care if it’s a 5 yd pass and 15 YAC or 18 pass+2 YAC. It’s all the same. Mdub was the same.
        - i don’t see an elite kick returner at NFL level - again, lacks the change of direction burst.

He is going to be great, but he will not be effective underneath or from slot, he’s strictly an X WR1. I wonder about his 40 splits - does my impression show in his 40 (faster back end) or am I just a bad scout?

Zero objection taking him. He will be the best WR on the team. I still would like to see us draft a WR that actually creates separation for Herbie for a change. this is where I still might favor MH2, Nabers - or a McConkey/Pearsall. But Odunze’s pros are elite level success factors. he’s just not what he’s not.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          There are so many things wrong with this data graph that I can't even begin to address them all.
          OLineCentric

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yes! Definitely one of those 3rd round talents that probably gets pushed into the 4th round because the WR class is so deep.
            See all of those long catches for TDs...? A lot of them coming off of play-action. Perfect fit for the Greg Roman offense.
            He's a 4.54 40 guy.

NEGATIVES

— Below-average acceleration. Kind of lumbers out of stance, takes time to hit top speed.

— Needs to improve his hand-fighting and ability to work through contact. Bullied into the sideline too often.

— Struggles to stop and come back for the ball in the air. Often misjudges where the ball is and mistimes jump.

I hope you won't use him as your deep threat, to take the top off a defense when the safety moves down into the box to smother your running game Boltnut.
            I hope this is not what you have in mind when talking about waiting for all those studs to complement Josh Palmer that will be pushed down to day 3.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

There are so many things wrong with this data graph that I can't even begin to address them all.
              Just start with your top 3!

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

There are some hot rumors that Vikings #11 and Falcons #8 will be switching picks due to the Kirk Cousins tampering. This will make the draft more interesting if this is true.
                1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                3a- #66 Puni OT
                3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                4a- #105 Rice WR
                4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                5- #140 Green CB
                6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Are we sleeping on Brenden Rice?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
                    There are some hot rumors that Vikings #11 and Falcons #8 will be switching picks due to the Kirk Cousins tampering. This will make the draft more interesting if this is true.
                    #8 would be Odunze / Nabers territory .... they can keep Addison.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Are we sleeping on Brenden Rice?
                      I like him ..... he's certainly in the running day 3 if Boltnut takes over the draft room.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I like him ..... he's certainly in the running day 3 if Boltnut takes over the draft room.
                        image.png

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

For sure WR is a need but you don't take WR to fill a need if the talent doesn't match the draft position. That said, it seems by the consensus of national media draft punditry, the three WRs are better football players than any OL in the draft - picking 5. So in that case, Need + BPA = Perfect Match. If Joe Alt were considered Joe Thomas and the WRs more in the 8-12 range, the pick would be OT.

For the Chargers roster - its pretty easy
                          trade down or take the top 2 or 3 talent on your draft board at 5

Comment

Working...
                          X