• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yes...strong QB year this year...all the more urgency for some GM in the hot seat to move up and grab one of the top 4-5 QB's before they're gone...and before HE'S gone...
    They thought it was strong in 2021. Was it? No. Same this year I'd guess.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The hate part was a bit of a joke .... ruffled a few feathers perhaps.

Baltimore generally gets their Olineman after round 2 and allows them to sit and develop.
      Telesco would always draft these guys and have them start right away, while changing positions.

Pip was so far off that they just couldn't do it without getting Rivers killed.
      Well, Pip turned into a better NFL offensive lineman than all the guys drafted higher, save Slater.

If Chris Watt was drafted by Baltimore, he'd probably have had a successful career.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they wait until round 3 and beyond to start drafting Olinemen,
      and then traded for a vet right after the draft.

Put Salyer back at OT and have him compete with Pip.
      Let their draftees sit, learn and develop.

I don't know what to think of drafting Fuaga and moving him to guard temporarily: sounds like T.T. is back in charge.
      This!!! While I think Baltimore will draft more Oline this year. A lot of pundits are saying how bad they need Oline, while this past year they have been developing OTs Patrick Makari, Daniel Faalele and Gs Ben Cleveland and Andrew Vorhees. I think they will draft Oline, just not as early. This is just what they have done in the past and will continue.

This is what I expect the Chargers to do as well moving forward with Hortiz and Harbaugh. I expect them to draft a OT to compete and develop behind Pip, I just don’t see them doing it in the 1st round. They want to get a draft pick from Pip when he leaves or if they can trade him after this year. I do expect them to draft a OT and C/G this year to develop.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

The Athletic posted MJD's first mock. Drake Maye is available at 5 as JJ goes 3 to NE. Zona takes Harrison and the Vikes jump up via us to take Maye. It did not give any details beyond us getting 11 & 23 so I assume that's the trade. We nab OT Fuaga at 11 and then Brian Thomas Jr. WR at 23. I can't say that deal would piss me off at all. I would love a sweetener like a 5th rounder this year or maybe a 4 in 2025.......but one can't be too greedy can we?

A solid guy to push or replace Pip and then a 4.3 big WR for JH. Like I said, I would not be pissed at all.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
          The Athletic posted MJD's first mock. Drake Maye is available at 5 as JJ goes 3 to NE. Zona takes Harrison and the Vikes jump up via us to take Maye. It did not give any details beyond us getting 11 & 23 so I assume that's the trade. We nab OT Fuaga at 11 and then Brian Thomas Jr. WR at 23. I can't say that deal would piss me off at all. I would love a sweetener like a 5th rounder this year or maybe a 4 in 2025.......but one can't be too greedy can we?

A solid guy to push or replace Pip and then a 4.3 big WR for JH. Like I said, I would not be pissed at all.
          If I was a betting dude, I’d say this is how it’ll go down for us.

Comment

• ChargerTrader
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

The Vikings would have already had prelim conversations with the Cards, Chargers, and even the Giants about trading up.

It is going to be very interesting to see if the Vikings finalize a deal the night before the draft or wait till a team is on the clock.

There are risks associated with each approach.

Comment

• ChargerTrader
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Does anyone have any insight as to what takes place when a draft candidate does an in person visit with a team?

Like is it strictly a meet n greet of the staff and the facility, or do they interview the candidate about character and schemes (I know they do this at the combine)...

What goes on at these sessions? How detailed are they? Thanks!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                JH3 and Me
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

A lot of the same strengths and weaknesses as Ronnie Stanley.
                A lot of the same strengths and weaknesses as Joe Staley.

Solid left tackles adept at run blocking and pass blocking. Quick feet and long arms. Very active in the run game. Can get to the second level in the run game. Hard-working technicians that can have troubles with shorter, more powerful defensive linemen that can get leverage through lower center of gravity advantages. None of them were described as "generational". But functional strength was listed as characteristics of each. Both very good at using/resetting their hands.

Stanley had a higher production rate score (95/85)
                Alt had a higher athleticism score (85/67)
                Alt had a higher overall score (87/82)
                Stanley had a higher Pro Bowl projection score (7.00/6.49)
                Stanley compared to Layne Johnson. Alt compared to Eric Fischer.
                Stanley had a 3rd best overall OT ranking. Alt has a 1st overall OT ranking.
                Both projected to go in the Top-10.
                Stanley went #6. Alt is rumored to go between #5 and #7.
                Thanks BN - appreciate substantive discussion.

Eric Fisher sucked for a couple years before he finally became usable. He teetered on the edge of bust his first 2 years as I recall. Alt is the top LT for a team that needs pass pro, but he’s not the best rush blocker and hasn’t played right side. I think the right side argument is not a big worry, but the real question is what do JH2 want with their first OL pick - that will dictate if they value Alt’s high draft price. Do they want a second LT pass pro technician or do they want a mauling right side rush blocker?

Or do they think they can improve the OL without a top pick? Maybe they think the interior is the bigger weakness? Idunno - Beats me - can’t wait to find out, Trust in JH.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If I was a betting dude, I’d say this is how it’ll go down for us.
                  No doubt the conversations have been happening with the teams. And will intensify in a couple weeks. But not sure anybody would be surprised if the frame work of the deal was in place

I think the Cardinals would probably, besides moving from 27 to 23 - need a future 2025 pick from MN. Chargers getting 11 and 23 would be excellent value. Chargers getting 11 and 27 --would be very good value. Cardinals will need more than moving from 27 to 23 to move from 4 to 5

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

No doubt the conversations have been happening with the teams. And will intensify in a couple weeks. But not sure anybody would be surprised if the frame work of the deal was in place

I think the Cardinals would probably, besides moving from 27 to 23 - need a future 2025 pick from MN. Chargers getting 11 and 23 would be excellent value. Chargers getting 11 and 27 --would be very good value. Cardinals will need more than moving from 27 to 23 to move from 4 to 5
                    the deals I can see happening are, 11, 23 and a future pick to the cards for 4. Then the Cards turn around and send offer of 11, 35, 71 and 138 to the Chargers for 5. That still gives the Cardinals three 1st round picks. And the Chargers will have.

One 1st
                    two 2nds
                    two 3rds
                    two 4ths
                    two 5ths
                    One 6th
                    Two 7ths

I don’t even think they would done there either. With two 2nds, I could see them trading down a bit as well.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Thanks BN - appreciate substantive discussion.

Eric Fisher sucked for a couple years before he finally became usable. He teetered on the edge of bust his first 2 years as I recall. Alt is the top LT for a team that needs pass pro, but he’s not the best rush blocker and hasn’t played right side. I think the right side argument is not a big worry, but the real question is what do JH2 want with their first OL pick - that will dictate if they value Alt’s high draft price. Do they want a second LT pass pro technician or do they want a mauling right side rush blocker?

Or do they think they can improve the OL without a top pick? Maybe they think the interior is the bigger weakness? Idunno - Beats me - can’t wait to find out, Trust in JH.
                      In the end, I think Joe will trade back with the Vikings and I'm sure the Titans will be relieved to choose Joe Alt to anchor their OL for the next 12-15 years. The Titans have always valued OL in the past and will protect their young QB with the best available. They won't be worried about choosing the BPA... even with the 2nd and 3rd round OT's already on the team. They'll be back to the days of when they had Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin (former college left tackle) roughing people up.

Personally, I hope we take on the character/personality of the coaches we just hired. I hope we stop fooling around with the offensive line and get serious about building that foundation. Two good OT's is no longer seen as frivolous. I hope they draft Taliese Fuaga with the #11 pick. The interior of the OL has to be good as well. I have no qualms picking up another IOL in the mid rounds. I think everyone believes that the OL coach will magically fix every player along the OL. But I heard Harbaugh say in an interview that coaching is fine... but you have to begin with good players.

I have no idea if he believes we have the players to execute the blocking schemes that Roman and Devlin will run. If they decide to stay @#5 and choose a WR... then we'll know. If they trade back to #11 and choose a TE... then we'll know. And I will accept that. I believe in this HC and GM more than I've believed in any other Chargers' GM/HC combo we've ever had.

In the end, we're just discussing players and philosophies here. We may disagree on both... but there is no "hatred for others" here. I hold no ill-will if "my guy" isn't ultimately chosen. "My guy" is rarely chosen. It's a discussion board. Nobody but us is reading. Enjoy the ride! The end is near!
                      OLineCentric

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargerTrader View Post
                        Does anyone have any insight as to what takes place when a draft candidate does an in person visit with a team?

Like is it strictly a meet n greet of the staff and the facility, or do they interview the candidate about character and schemes (I know they do this at the combine)...

What goes on at these sessions? How detailed are they? Thanks!
                        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Thanks Wood-eye! That article was very insightful.

Comment

Working...
                          X