• Show
Clear All
  • SuperChargedRodney37
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2024
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Hi Super Charged,

nice posts so far .... although some here already hate you.

I don't understand the excessive zeal about winning through smash mouth football.
    With a few exceptions, that hasn't worked ever since Don Coryell came into the league.

Remember the 49er linebacker saying how he hated playing Dan Henning's Charger teams, because they would beat the shit out of you in losing?
    What’s going on PBB,

It’s cool I don’t take it personal. I just try to give a perspective that isn’t just about any particular player but there is a real financial side to these decisions. Too many people are trying to dig in on particular players and on this “Harbaugh/Hortiz philosophy”. They are using what we call aged and outdated data.
    Harbaugh and Hortiz have already begun to improve the run game and line play but people are so hung up on the trenches philosophy that they think the 1st pick just has to be an Olineman even if said line man has to switch the side of the field they are on.

They also think you can just force the Vikings to make this trade when theoretically the Vikings can sit right where they are and get a QB that may even be Maye/McCarthy or perhaps Penix. I believe one of Maye/McCarthy tumbles a bit. I know coach is talking up McCarthy but the film doesn’t add up.

I also find it fascinating that people who use the Baltimore example to speak against getting the Blue-Chip Receiver at pick #5 by using the “Draft philosophy” of Hortiz and Greg Roman as this extreme smash mouth team as a reason to draft a lineman first. If this was the case, then why has Baltimore/Hortiz drafted a WR in the first round 3 of the last 5 years including 2 of those years while Greg Roman was still the OC. Seems like they looked and said we need playmakers at receiver to keep the defense honest and get quick scores rather than 10-15 play drives all day. (Was this a Philosophy Change?)

Lastly, the whole Harbaugh trenches thing is being taken way out of context. Does he believe in it? You bet he does. However, it’s how he accomplishes this is what a lot of people are reading into wrong. (IMHO) I think he focuses on Coaching first over personnel, philosophy second, depth third and then personnel.

Did you know while at Michigan, Harbaugh has had all of ONE offensive lineman drafted in the first round. That was a Center Caesar Ruiz.
    In fact, he has had only FOUR Offensive Lineman Drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft.
    1 Third round tackle
    2- Third round centers

Pretty Amazing considering he’s a “Trenches GUY” which his is by the way.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

May I offer a Permutation Pleaser (based on your assorted prior comments)...?

#23 Cooper Dejean. He fits your safety/slot wants/needs.
      #37 Junior Colson. Knows the hightened Minter defensive needs.
      #69 McKinley Jackson. Fits your Justin Madubuike mold. Eye know Joe Hortiz saw the value as well.

Does not cut the mustard.
      Somebody get Nutty a Red Bull
      ​​​​​​
      Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Hi Super Charged,

nice posts so far .... although some here already hate you.

I don't understand the excessive zeal about winning through smash mouth football.
        With a few exceptions, that hasn't worked ever since Don Coryell came into the league.

Remember the 49er linebacker saying how he hated playing Dan Henning's Charger teams, because they would beat the shit out of you in losing?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

There are other CB's in the early 3rd round I like, too.
          CB/S Cooper DeJean @#23 is also a good target in a trade-back scenario.
          Has he learned how to catch a punt without signaling fair catch yet?

(that joke may still be too soon for Hawkeye fans lol).

He’s one of those guys that doesn’t fit cleanly in a position box - he’s Safety-Plus but is he a Rd1 shutdown CB1? Do you draft a slot DB in the first round? Beats me …
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

What’s going on PBB,

It’s cool I don’t take it personal. I just try to give a perspective that isn’t just about any particular player but there is a real financial side to these decisions. Too many people are trying to dig in on particular players and on this “Harbaugh/Hortiz philosophy”. They are using what we call aged and outdated data.
            Harbaugh and Hortiz have already begun to improve the run game and line play but people are so hung up on the trenches philosophy that they think the 1st pick just has to be an Olineman even if said line man has to switch the side of the field they are on.

They also think you can just force the Vikings to make this trade when theoretically the Vikings can sit right where they are and get a QB that may even be Maye/McCarthy or perhaps Penix. I believe one of Maye/McCarthy tumbles a bit. I know coach is talking up McCarthy but the film doesn’t add up.

I also find it fascinating that people who use the Baltimore example to speak against getting the Blue-Chip Receiver at pick #5 by using the “Draft philosophy” of Hortiz and Greg Roman as this extreme smash mouth team as a reason to draft a lineman first. If this was the case, then why has Baltimore/Hortiz drafted a WR in the first round 3 of the last 5 years including 2 of those years while Greg Roman was still the OC. Seems like they looked and said we need playmakers at receiver to keep the defense honest and get quick scores rather than 10-15 play drives all day. (Was this a Philosophy Change?)

Lastly, the whole Harbaugh trenches thing is being taken way out of context. Does he believe in it? You bet he does. However, it’s how he accomplishes this is what a lot of people are reading into wrong. (IMHO) I think he focuses on Coaching first over personnel, philosophy second, depth third and then personnel.

Did you know while at Michigan, Harbaugh has had all of ONE offensive lineman drafted in the first round. That was a Center Caesar Ruiz.
            In fact, he has had only FOUR Offensive Lineman Drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft.
            1 Third round tackle
            2- Third round centers

Oh it's very personal.
            Either drink the koolaid
            or go back to your vintage teardrop trailer in Reseda.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

What’s going on PBB,

1 Third round tackle
              2- Third round centers

Nobody knows what will happen but I can guarantee you that Maye won't fall to 11.
              Doubt he gets past Washington and why Minnesota is bringing in JJ. It's doesn't matter whether or not you think the QBs are deserving in being.top 5 or not.

I've thought that about many of them over the years but the fact is, they do anyways. It's the most over drafted possition in the NFL.

Nobody is trying to FORCE a Minnesota trade. They are the ones that want a QB. Everybody who talks draft on TV , on Twitter and forums has ideas.....and so do you.....but Maye isn't falling to 11. No way.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

I'm not disagreeing with anyone and in fact I'm reading a lot of truth in all these posts.. my thoughts on the matter of Baltimore is this.

Baltimore drafted WRs high because they felt strongly that it was necessary to support a then, under-achiving passer in Lamar Jackson.
                If Herbert was in Jackson's shoes, he would have 2 to 3 championships by now.
                Do not kid yourselfs, Jim was desperate enough to take the Denver and Minnesota job(s) the last few years. This year, he cashed in on his Michigan championship and had his pick of any job available. There is but 1 reason he is here and that's numbero fucking 10 because he knows his methods of building a football team works and coupled with a disciplined, smart, accurate and physically elite quarterback like Herbo, he had a chance at multiple championships.
                Joe and Jim will get Herb all the weapons and protection he needs with a solid redzone defense and be perineal contenders.

Roman is a low-key genius and got fired a year early.
                Had he have been Baltimore's OC last season, the Ravens easily win the superbowl.
                Easily with the Zay OBJ and the other WR and emergence of Likely and their stud RB.
                Their loss is truly our gain.
                2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Chargers8491
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nobody knows what will happen but I can guarantee you that Maye won't fall to 11.
                  Doubt he gets past Washington and why Minnesota is bringing in JJ. It's doesn't matter whether or not you think the QBs are deserving in being.top 5 or not.

I've thought that about many of them over the years but the fact is, they do anyways. It's the most over drafted possition in the NFL.

Nobody is trying to FORCE a Minnesota trade. They are the ones that want a QB. Everybody who talks draft on TV , on Twitter and forums has ideas.....and so do you.....but Maye isn't falling to 11. No way.
                  The other thing about the QB situation is there are other teams that need QBs. There is no way the Viks are going to wait for a QB to drop to them because there are teams behind them that will move up to get one.
                  1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                  2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                  2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                  3a- #66 Puni OT
                  3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                  4a- #105 Rice WR
                  4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                  5- #140 Green CB
                  6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Jack Burton
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah but after that his draft wasnt that great. His 2nd rounder Ojulari was meh, 3rd rounders WR Wilson had 38 receptions and CB Garrett Williams werent that productive and 4th round OG Gaines didnt play one game and is listed as 3rd string on their depth chart right now. And for some reason he drafted Clayton Tune in round 5. Horrible pick.

Im just saying he looks good in that video of him trading in round one but if you arent a good drafter, 15 picks wont help you much. If the Rams had 15 picks they would kill it. Telesco would draft 10 busts and none would get a 2nd contract lol.
                    I agree, But the point was Monte will move up and down in the 1st. He’s proven to be a guy willing to move all over the 1st Round and work with numerous teams.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      [/B]

How? (Honest question, curious how you see HE is a H/R/H type)
                      A lot of the same strengths and weaknesses as Ronnie Stanley.
                      A lot of the same strengths and weaknesses as Joe Staley.

Solid left tackles adept at run blocking and pass blocking. Quick feet and long arms. Very active in the run game. Can get to the second level in the run game. Hard-working technicians that can have troubles with shorter, more powerful defensive linemen that can get leverage through lower center of gravity advantages. None of them were described as "generational". But functional strength was listed as characteristics of each. Both very good at using/resetting their hands.

Stanley had a higher production rate score (95/85)
                      Alt had a higher athleticism score (85/67)
                      Alt had a higher overall score (87/82)
                      Stanley had a higher Pro Bowl projection score (7.00/6.49)
                      Stanley compared to Layne Johnson. Alt compared to Eric Fischer.
                      Stanley had a 3rd best overall OT ranking. Alt has a 1st overall OT ranking.
                      Both projected to go in the Top-10.
                      Stanley went #6. Alt is rumored to go between #5 and #7.
                      OLineCentric

Comment

• Jack Burton
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

To go from 11 back up to 9 would probably cost the Chargers picks 105 and 181 - but to get Odunze or Bowers at 9 - I would probably be okay with that

Chargers would basically drop back four spots for the 2nd and 3rd at the expense of 4 and 6
                        I’d think that 105 and a 2025 4th would work. They are getting that pick back basically..

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

We are talking about QB #4.
                          Vikes no doubt have one they like.
                          Monti will overplay his hand and end up on the clock, "compelled" to take MHJ.
                          Chargers get #11 & #23.
                          We will not be too greedy.
                          We will draft an impact player at #11.
                          And try to trade down at #23.
                          Best case scenario IMHO.
                          I mentioned in another post that Trader Joe and DeCosta DID do a similar trade down in late 1st round, moved down just a few slots, from #22 to #25, and got good value:

2019 ravens trade down w eagles for 3 picks.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X