• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperChargedRodney37
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2024
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    OT has become dominant in TPB, thanks to a couple hardy enthusiasts. Let’s say OT is A priority … the next question is the most assumed question of the off-season - what type of OT does JH want?

Does he want a nasty crushing tone setting roadgrader? A lot of folks have said this for a long time. If so, Fuaga and Latham bring that nasty streak, Alt does not … 5 is an overdraft for them as they do not possess the pure LT skill set that is worthy of 5.

Does he want foremost to protect Herbie and gain LT insurance? In that case, Alt is the best and he is worth a 5 as he brings LT starter capability that gives future flexibility when Slater becomes expensive. I think Alt will transition to RT ok. We have real coaches now after all.

Does JH value a pick that already is an experienced RT? That decrements Alt odds to probably off the board if he also wants that bone-crusher.

I have no idea. I have no idea how those who possess levels of certainty do. I get all the tea leaf readers and I see what they see - I just don’t translate that into certainty about any pick. I am sure they will draft OL - I do not know who or when. I don’t even know if it will be OT or interior. I don’t believe it’s Alt or Nothing but then again, it could be Alt.

Factor into all of that OT analysis - the team does have other needs. He obviously cares about OL as a foundation, but does he see that as the greatest weakness or maximum improvement opportunity? Again I’m ???

can’t wait to find out!
    Good thoughts Dmac.
    I think when the coaches watched this line on tape they saw things that would lead them to believe it's not as dire as the outside perception. The evidence of this is they watched McFaddon's traits, athleticism, techniques and thought we may be able to make this man a Center even though he never played it before. That tells me they know what they are looking for and are creative enough to think outside the box. The Patriots had one of the best Oline coaches ever in Dante Scannecchia who would watch college wrestlers for possible lineman.
    The other thing the McFaddon comments tell me is they are willing to take some trial and error but the cost of said trial and error matters. This is why I don't see a 1st round O-Lineman in this particular draft and strengthening the interior with guys that are more versatile later on in the draft makes more sense.

Whatever is decided, it's a much more exciting time to be a Chargers fan this year than it was at this time last year.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Running the ball is going to be used to set up the pass and wear out the defense..... Harbaugh has NEVER had a great passer at QB, like Herbert..... He will take advantage of it....

meaning we are not going to be throwing 30-40 times per game unless our defense cant stop anyone and we are behind.... our offense will run to set up play action and the deep passes against single coverage because a strong running game forces a heavy box to stop it.....

This team will have a winning record next year and maybe make the playoffs..... because they freaking earned it the hard way! =)

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2024
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Well it's also because its a QB league and you need OTs to protect the edge. And another good OL the idea is you are adding strength to the OL to help the whole team as Jim mentioned. They can go any direction at # 5, BPA or trade down. They could add anywhere on team but QB, P, PK. As Hortiz stated you are never one player away. BPA all day.
        I agree Critty. The only caveat to what you said is that at pick #5 for this season, there is no O-Lineman that is the best player available.

Remember, from the Chargers perspective, in order for them to pick an O-Lineman at #5, they are telling you that said player is actually their #1 player on their board. I find that extremely hard to believe based on the Elite talent afforded to them at #5 this year and the positional value it would costs them to do it.

They are sitting there at #5 and are absolutely guaranteed either the #1 or #2 player on their board. That's why them trading down will take a TREMENDOUS haul that will involve at least 1st round picks into 2025 and 2026.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

Agree to disagree with this take as the "Draft Value" is absolutely real and your whole premise of the Vikings desperation is somewhat overblown. The Vikings have already balked at Arizona's ask of an additional 2025 1st round pick. The Vikings also recent attended Michael Penix's pre-draft work out and flew the entire staff out to meet him and hold a private workout. So, you can say it's all a "Smoke Screen" but the Vikings most certainly don't have to give into the Chargers ask for either Maye or McCarthy and quite frankly, who says that either Maye or McCarthy are actually rated higher than Penix on their board. That is nothing but pundit draftnik assumptions regarding the QB Draft order.

I know you really like Bowers and the trade back is the only way to make a Bowers pick make sense from a "positional value" standpoint, but unfortunately that ship has sailed, and I actually like Bowers.
          The trade-up for a QB is real (you can look at any QB trade-up that has occurred the last few years).
          And every future pick traded away in an agreement... is devalued. Which is why the Vikings gave up next year's 2nd rounder and this year's 2nd rounder. Giving up next year's 1st rounder would have lost about 300 points (same they're giving up to Chargers by trading up this year). To move up 1 more spot to #4... it would cost another 2nd rounder (one they don't have).

The Math is perfect.

Bears = QB1
          Wash = QB2
          NE = QB3
          MHJ @#4 to the Cardinals (an obvious match)
          Vikings to #5 (for #11 and #23) to take QB4 (probably JJ)
          Giants = Nabers @#6
          Titans = Alt @#7
          WR, DE @#8, #9 (probably Odunze and Turner)
          Jets = Fashanu @#10
          Chargers get their new RT @#11
          Faders and Donkeys overspend for Nix and Penix
          Nutty takes a nap @#14.
          OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
            Running the ball is going to be used to set up the pass and wear out the defense..... Harbaugh has NEVER had a great passer at QB, like Herbert..... He will take advantage of it....

meaning we are not going to be throwing 30-40 times per game unless our defense cant stop anyone and we are behind.... our offense will run to set up play action and the deep passes against single coverage because a strong running game forces a heavy box to stop it.....

This team will have a winning record next year and maybe make the playoffs..... because they freaking earned it the hard way! =)
            Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

It's all the coaches have been talking about... every... single... interview...

OLineCentric

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2024
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The trade-up for a QB is real (you can look at any QB trade-up that has occurred the last few years).
              And every future pick traded away in an agreement... is devalued. Which is why the Vikings gave up next year's 2nd rounder and this year's 2nd rounder. Giving up next year's 1st rounder would have lost about 300 points (same they're giving up to Chargers by trading up this year). To move up 1 more spot to #4... it would cost another 2nd rounder (one they don't have).

The Math is perfect.

Bears = QB1
              Wash = QB2
              NE = QB3
              MHJ @#4 to the Cardinals (an obvious match)
              Vikings to #5 (for #11 and #23) to take QB4 (probably JJ)
              Giants = Nabers @#6
              Titans = Alt @#7
              WR, DE @#8, #9 (probably Odunze and Turner)
              Jets = Fashanu @#10
              Chargers get their new RT @#11
              Faders and Donkeys overspend for Nix and Penix
              Nutty takes a nap @#14.
              Agree to Disagree with your perceived leverage. Let's just take Coach's word for it.

"pick in the draft. If four quarterbacks go in the first four picks, that's not like the fifth pick anymore, that's like the No. 1 pick in the draft for teams that have a great quarterback already. . . . It's such a great pick.

I'll ask you a rhetorical question. Does this sound like a team that is willing to give up the 5th pick for a measly package of #11 and #23 only and miss out on a Bona-fide Blue-chip Elite WR?
              I can take you one further. In your scenario they would get their new RT which you are obviously putting Pipkins on the bench as a swing tackle. So they would essentially pass on an Elite prospect for another starting right tackle which would cost them $29 million in positional value for this year not counting the fact that they would then have to resign Salyer @ Top-5 Left Tackle money next year which will be a financial overspend on one position on the team when you still have to build at more "Premium Positions" such as WR/CB and prepare to spend on EDGE in 2025 assuming either both or one of Mack/Bosa gets replaced.

Don't see the business sense of this transaction.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Agree to Disagree with your perceived leverage. Let's just take Coach's word for it.

"pick in the draft. If four quarterbacks go in the first four picks, that's not like the fifth pick anymore, that's like the No. 1 pick in the draft for teams that have a great quarterback already. . . . It's such a great pick.

I'll ask you a rhetorical question. Does this sound like a team that is willing to give up the 5th pick for a measly package of #11 and #23 only and miss out on a Bona-fide Blue-chip Elite WR?
                I can take you one further. In your scenario they would get their new RT which you are obviously putting Pipkins on the bench as a swing tackle. So they would essentially pass on an Elite prospect for another starting right tackle which would cost them $29 million in positional value for this year not counting the fact that they would then have to resign Salyer @ Top-5 Left Tackle money next year which will be a financial overspend on one position on the team when you still have to build at more "Premium Positions" such as WR/CB and prepare to spend on EDGE in 2025 assuming either both or one of Mack/Bosa gets replaced.

If 4 QB's are taken in the 1st 4 picks... that leaves MHJ there (who is widely considered the best non-QB in the draft) Many think MHJ is THE best player in the draft. And if he were there, then the Chargers would take him... and so would I (as I've mentioned many times now).

Which is EXACTLY why the Cardinals will take him @#4... and he won't be there @#5.
                If you don't like OUR wide receivers... you should see THEIRS.
                And unlike our HC... they plan on throwing it 40 times a game.

In any case... this little quote proves nothing in regards to how much teams will pay to trade up for a QB in the draft.

And that "measley package of #11 and #23" may get you the best run-blocking RT in college... and the best LB in college.
                Not bad for any team that plans on running the ball and/or playing championship type defense....
                Hey! That sounds a lot like us!

Did you guys scream... and stomp... and pray for Harbaugh, not knowing how he builds teams!?
                He brought his coaches with him. Minter and Roman are known quantities. I'm actually using these guys as my drafting model.
                Root and cheer for your favorite shiny toy all you like. But in the end, realize whose doing the player evaluations and drafting.

Salyer will be playing wherever they tell him to play... probably guard. He was recruited by Georgia to play guard. He was drafted by the Chargers to play guard. He has 2 more years on his contract... same as LT Slater. If you're worried about Slater breaking the bank... stay at #5 and draft Alt. At least he makes sense in a Hortiz/Harbaugh/Roman world.

Worry about Mack/Bosa next draft. If you're really anxious about edge... draft Harbaugh/Minter's edge players in the later rounds... they're both draft eligible. If you're really anxious about WR, both of Harbaugh's WR's are eligible, too. Take Roman Wilson in the 3rd round or Cornelius Johnson in the 6th round.
                OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

^ This...I'd rather have Herbie throwing the rock only 15-20 times a game, but not getting sacked repeatedly, because we have such a superior ground game...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If 4 QB's are taken in the 1st 4 picks... that leaves MHJ there (who is widely considered the best non-QB in the draft) Many think MHJ is THE best player in the draft. And if he were there, then the Chargers would take him... and so would I (as I've mentioned many times now).

Which is EXACTLY why the Cardinals will take him @#4... and he won't be there @#5.
                    If you don't like OUR wide receivers... you should see THEIRS.
                    And unlike our HC... they plan on throwing it 40 times a game.

In any case... this little quote proves nothing in regards to how much teams will pay to trade up for a QB in the draft.

And that "measley package of #11 and #23" may get you the best run-blocking RT in college... and the best LB in college.
                    Not bad for any team that plans on running the ball and/or playing championship type defense....
                    Hey! That sounds a lot like us!

Did you guys scream... and stomp... and pray for Harbaugh, not knowing how he builds teams!?
                    He brought his coaches with him. Minter and Roman are known quantities. I'm actually using these guys as my drafting model.
                    Root and cheer for your favorite shiny toy all you like. But in the end, realize whose doing the player evaluations and drafting.

Salyer will be playing wherever they tell him to play... probably guard. He was recruited by Georgia to play guard. He was drafted by the Chargers to play guard. He has 2 more years on his contract... same as LT Slater. If you're worried about Slater breaking the bank... stay at #5 and draft Alt. At least he makes sense in a Hortiz/Harbaugh/Roman world.

Worry about Mack/Bosa next draft. If you're really anxious about edge... draft Harbaugh/Minter's edge players in the later rounds... they're both draft eligible. If you're really anxious about WR, both of Harbaugh's WR's are eligible, too. Take Roman Wilson in the 3rd round or Cornelius Johnson in the 6th round.
                    ^ This is the type of move the Ravens did quite a bit...let the potential high-priced FA's leave and get a nice comp pick for them...then just keep drafting their replacements for a lot cheaper than that new FA deal would have cost...u can't give bank bucks to everyone...
                    (except maybe the QB...)

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

On the other hand, if we trade down to #11, there will still be great value there...now, if we do that 3-way deal with the Cards and the Vikes, if we can get #11, #23 and if the Cards can also cough up one of those THREE 3rd rounders to sweeten the pot, I think we may have a deal:

image.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Agree to disagree with this take as the "Draft Value" is absolutely real and your whole premise of the Vikings desperation is somewhat overblown. The Vikings have already balked at Arizona's ask of an additional 2025 1st round pick. The Vikings also recent attended Michael Penix's pre-draft work out and flew the entire staff out to meet him and hold a private workout. So, you can say it's all a "Smoke Screen" but the Vikings most certainly don't have to give into the Chargers ask for either Maye or McCarthy and quite frankly, who says that either Maye or McCarthy are actually rated higher than Penix on their board. That is nothing but pundit draftnik assumptions regarding the QB Draft order.

I know you really like Bowers and the trade back is the only way to make a Bowers pick make sense from a "positional value" standpoint, but unfortunately that ship has sailed, and I actually like Bowers.
                        Doesn't matter who id want. At 11 we may not get Bowers if the Jets take him.

Going from 5 to 11 I'm asking for their 23 as well at the very least and I'm not giving them a pick back. They don't like that, they can call the Giants. And if they call the Giants, they don't have a 2nd rounder to offer. They didn't acquire 23 to tell teams no in the top 5. I haven't heard about AZ asking form their 2025 first and them balking at it. But I'm don't NEED to have that either.
                        Just don't think that chart is going to matter much. I'd think 11 and 23 is what they would do at minimum in the top 5.

Penix would be last on my list of this group of QBs. I'd rather have Nix over him and both are 24. Penix has a strong arm but a big injury history.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Look who was at the chargers facility today…

Would love to have him on this team. If we get him at #23 after a trade with Minnesota I will be ecstatic.

Bosa, Mack, and Latu on the line in pass-rushing packages against Mahomes. How can you not get fired up about that?

Comment

Working...
                          X