• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

If you're confident that you will have access to drafting Bowers AFTER trading down-- and you picked up some Day 2 draft capital in the process-- how do you *not* make this move?

If things fall in the draft as everyone is expecting them to, no way in hell is the BPA at #5 a defensive player. In fact, I'd say that there's a 98% chance that the BPA at #5 will be Harrison, Nabers, or Odunze.

If you'd take one of those wideouts at #5? You've proven that you aren't rigid about acquiring trench players, first and foremost.

So, yes, I think that drafting Bowers after trading down is a legit possibility. But it's just one of five or six legit possibilities.
    I do not think the Chargers can trade down with the expectation Odunze or Bowers will be there at 11. If they are trading down, and BoltJolt has the outline of a trade worth it to go from 5 to 11 -- you have to be open to not getting certain players

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I do not think the Chargers can trade down with the expectation Odunze or Bowers will be there at 11. If they are trading down, and BoltJolt has the outline of a trade worth it to go from 5 to 11 -- you have to be open to not getting certain players
      On the bright side, the following players have a pretty good chance to be there at #11:

Fashanu
      Verse
      Latu
      Newton
      Turner
      Latham
      Fuaga
      Arnold
      Mitchell
      Wiggins
      Chop
      Kool-Aid

A LOT of good talent will be there...and if we get #23, we get to double dip in round 1...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Right. You go from having the pick of the litter, at #5, but at #11, you get what's left over.

I completely expect there to be an elite talent on the board at #11. You can't have as much certainty, though, about which position that remaining elite talent plays. So I see Bowers as a reasonable possibility at #11, but if he's gone and the BPA is a trench player, I won't be bummed. That would be a positive outcome, too.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I think he was nursing a hamstring..
          It matches his Combine numbers so I don’t think it’s because of a hamstring injury. I’m fine with him dropping to us in the second though.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Right. You go from having the pick of the litter, at #5, but at #11, you get what's left over.

I completely expect there to be an elite talent on the board at #11. You can't have as much certainty, though, about which position that remaining elite talent plays. So I see Bowers as a reasonable possibility at #11, but if he's gone and the BPA is a trench player, I won't be bummed. That would be a positive outcome, too.
            Which helps the team more? A potential upgrade at RT or an elite WR over QJ? I vote MHJ or Nabers.

I'm OK with whatever Hortiz does, but the top WR is more likely to put my ass in a LAC seat game one.

I'm dying to see Herbert making crazy good throws again.

Any other will take time. Like we're posting a lot of W's that were projected L's with game strategy.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont think 4.5 is bad (combine time). Kool Aid ran a 4.47, which is about the same. I fingertip diffence i guess.
              It depends on the scheme. But in general, 40 time is important for a CB because they need to be fast enough to keep up with WR since they don’t have the advantage of knowing the route. Maybe Arnold’s other testing numbers will allow him to adjust accordingly to a WR’s sudden pivot or route change.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Here are my Chargers' clusters... these prospects might look different for other teams. I base these clusters off of the coach's philosophies... and consider Hortiz's tendencies.

The first cluster consists of QB's... Caleb, Drake, and Daniels. The first 3 teams need QB's desperately.

The second cluster consists of MHJ and Joe Alt. MHJ is the 2nd best prospect of the draft (behind Caleb). Joe Alt is the complete OT. The only time in the last 10 years that the Ravens chose in the Top-10... it was an OT. They know the value.

The third cluster consists of Olu Fashanu, Malik Nabers, Brock Bowers, and Rome Odunze (in that order).
                JJ McCarthey fits here, too (simply because of the QB value).

The fourth cluster consists of a variety of different players/positions. I have two edge rushers (Dallas Turner, Laiatu Latu)... two cornerbacks (Kool-Aid McKinstry, Quinyan Mithchell)... and two tackles (Taliese Fuaga, Amarius Mims)... and Brian Thomas Jr. Many people would substitute Terrion Arnold for Kool-Aid... but I like Kool-Aid.

To be honest, I don't see a big separation between clusters, either.
                OLineCentric

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

In the Pro Football Network's latest mock, they have us trading back with the Vikings for their 2 first round picks this year and picking:

11) Los Angeles Chargers (From MIN): Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

Part of the reason I think the Chargers are a prime trade-down candidate is that their needs line up well with the draft.

Here, the Chargers collect an extra first-round pick and still get one of the top receivers in the draft in Rome Odunze. He’s a big body who excels with the ball in the air, giving Herbert a young replacement for Mike Williams.

23) Los Angeles Chargers (From CLE via HOU via MIN): Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon

It’s no secret that Jim Harbaugh wants to be physical up front and run the ball, so while Los Angeles likely needs a second receiver in the draft, taking the physical Jackson Powers-Johnson is more its style. Powers-Johnson is much younger than the rest of this class and yet looks like a veteran.
                  ​

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

My wet, football dream:

11. Bowers
                    23. JPJ
                    Darius "4.36" Davis
                    top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

On ESPN right now Tannenbaum is doing a mock special with a couple other guys and with Kiper as a guest not in studio for commentary. I think Tannebuam was a terrible GM,. .and here he has MHJ falling to #9.
                      Kiper had him going to us and that happens because Tannebaum has the Cards trading Murray to Vikes and they drafted JJ. Lol. Minne staying at 11 & 23. Didn't catch what the trade was.

As I said Tannenbaum sux but maybe my thought on Murray isn't crazy. Kiper said we wouldn't pass on MHJ and when he fell to #9 , he in the nicest way told Tannenbaum he was crazy. Odunze going 14.
                      Penix to Rams.

Oh btw, he has us picking Alt. Kiper didn't like that with MHJ in the board.

JPJ to Miami @21 ....Bowers 22 to Philly. Kiper smirks lol....I'm not a Kiper fan either but I get the impression he is trying not to laugh at Tannenbaum.
                      But really who knows, I dont things will go as everyone thinks it's will either.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

I wouldn't waste a pick on Bowers, let some other team over draft him.

Didn't do combine. Didn't do pro day.

I posted my concerns with him were his style of play would not work so well at NFL level. That he would end up on IR.

And he already is having hamstring issues.

Here is some complete conjecture and speculation by me..... Bowers ate and drank his way up to 243lbs. Then he worked to lose the weight of all that extra food/water and ended up getting dehydrated and then pull his hamstring because he wants to be light so he can test under 4.5 40yd dash. And now will wait 3 more weeks to run. If I'm Hortiz, I put him on the don't draft list and let someone else deal with the over hype TE prospect.
                        ​​​​​
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                          I wouldn't waste a pick on Bowers, let some other team over draft him.

Didn't do combine. Didn't do pro day.

I posted my concerns with him were his style of play would not work so well at NFL level. That he would end up on IR.

And he already is having hamstring issues.

Here is some complete conjecture and speculation by me..... Bowers ate and drank his way up to 243lbs. Then he worked to lose the weight of all that extra food/water and ended up getting dehydrated and then pull his hamstring because he wants to be light so he can test under 4.5 40yd dash. And now will wait 3 more weeks to run. If I'm Hortiz, I put him on the don't draft list and let someone else deal with the over hype TE prospect.
                          ​​​​
                          That is some conjecture!

Comment

Working...
                          X