• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    We need to run the ball better no doubt and that should be a combination of talent at RB, better OL play and better design. But if the idea is that we're going to be a running team then they have made an investment in the QB position that is unnecessary and negatively impacts the rest of the team. They'd be better off trading Herbert and getting a rookie Qb and then trading him before that first contract is up. Imagine the haul of picks for Herbert. You can have all the OL you want in that scenario and some key DL and FA players. Like SF.
    Better OL play and design will allow us to run the ball better... I agree. The Ravens did that with an undrafted RB (Gus Edwards). He actually out-played 2nd round pick JK Dobbins. So having talent @RB seems to be something we can find in the draft... but doesn't necessarily have to be a selection in the 1st three rounds. It also doesn't rule out getting cheap RB depth via free agency. I certainly don't see us spending a lot in free agency... it's not the Hortiz philosophy.

The coaches have said that a better run game will set up the passing game. There will be deep shots off of play action. That won't negatively impact the rest of the team at all. It will open up the offense. Harbaugh/Roman will be excited to have a QB that can make those throws. Harbaugh had that @Michigan. Hortiz did not have that @the Ravens. The threat of Herbert to QJ should keep the secondary back. That will make the run game better. The threat of Herbert to Keenan/JP will keep LB's back. Again that will help the run game. A efficient/productive run game will help the passing game (something we haven't had since Herbert has been here). That's why the coaches keep saying, "Can you imagine Justin Herbert with a run game...?"

This offense will be balanced. Because of that balance, the offense will be more efficient, sustain drives, create big plays, control time-of-possession, protect leads, and close-out games (with MaHommes on the bench in the last minutes of the game). Because of all of those things, your defense won't tire as much. They won't be asked to do the impossible (contain MaHommes/Kelcy in the last minutes of the game). By having a balanced offense you are taking undue pressure off of your defense. I don't see that as negative or unnecessary at all.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Did I mention CBS? I don't think so. Zierlein's mock from 4 days ago.

Lance Zierlein 2024 NFL mock draft 2.0: Broncos move up for J.J. McCarthy; Chiefs add Xavier Worthy
      Has us taking MH2.

Not my fault these guys change their minds daily.
      I don't think you mention anything that doesn't fit your narrative. Yet, other narratives do exist. En masse.
      Suggesting that I must "really, really, really, really, really, really like Joe Alt" can be interpretted a couple different ways:
      A) I'm crazy and suggesting no one else could possibly agree with... or
      B) My only consideration is Joe Alt @#5.

Neither is remotely accurate. I'm simply showing you this by doing a random google of mocks... most of which have us choosing Alt over a WR or TE. @#5. I've also mentioned numerous times that I prefer a trade-back.
      OLineCentric

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

So say we got Alt, switch Alt to RT or Slater to RT?
        I would put Alt at right tackle. If Slater were to get injured or for whatever reason not play well at any point down the road, it would be good to know that Alt could move over to left tackle.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don't think you mention anything that doesn't fit your narrative. Yet, other narratives do exist. En masse.
          Suggesting that I must "really, really, really, really, really, really like Joe Alt" can be interpretted a couple different ways:
          A) I'm crazy and suggesting no one else could possibly agree with... or
          B) My only consideration is Joe Alt @#5.

Neither is remotely accurate. I'm simply showing you this by doing a random google of mocks... most of which have us choosing Alt over a WR or TE. @#5. I've also mentioned numerous times that I prefer a trade-back.
          I think everyone has mentioned this. I'm not understanding how if one states he wants us to take Alt IF we stay at the fifth overall pick leads to some of these downright weird negative reactions by some.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            I keep thinking, would Pip be a starter on any other team? Would he have that contract?

Five years in with multiple off-seasons with extra coaching and he’s average? Isn’t that a guy any team would be looking to upgrade? At any position, that kinda play needs to be replaced. Will he be a starter for us this year? I hope not, but if it is it won’t be cuz Harbaugh is satisfied with him, just making do. And I hope the scheme hides his average play.

The younger guys, not to worried about them, I guess I just haven’t seen enough of them starting. Trust in MFIC for their play improving at whatever position they end up in. RT is on an island too much, gotta have better, especially late in games.
            If you have a dripping leak in your faucet, but your toilet burst and is gushing shit into your house, which do you fix first? Pipkins is the drip. Nothing more, and most of us (other than OT) advocates are not huge giant Pip-fans. Its just not top priority. If Job 1 is protecting Herbert, that is IOL first.

If we are moving on from Joey or Mack, Edge is priority. LB is priority. RB is huge priority. CB priority? Lots of bigger needs, thats all,

Of course, they may just decide to go OL first. If thats their call, based on top talent on the board and decision to not add WR (or TE?) - ok by me. Trust in JH2 (JH1, really)
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

This guy is interesting - a Lions' fan but also a Michigan fan who is taking an interest in the Chargers because of Harbaugh. He opines that Michigan was so loaded in 2023, that they had guys who did get a chance to show their full potential and several of them are in this year's draft, and Harbaugh and Hortiz could clean up on with Day 3 picks from Michigan who will turn out to be steals. He opines that the biggest steal of the draft could be Cornelius Johnson, a WR who PFF projects will at the top of the 5th round, right where the Chargers pick with #139. He didn't compile a lot of stats because Michigan ran the ball so much. Johnson's Combine tests were off the charts, and he has 4.45 speed. Another player he mentions is AJ Barner, the self-proclaimed best blocking TE in the draft. PFF ranks Barner at the top of the 6th round, again, right where the Chargers pick at #180. But he doesn't just talk about these two, he talks about several much lesser known Michigan picks who Harbaugh might target on Day 3.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

If you have a dripping leak in your faucet, but your toilet burst and is gushing shit into your house, which do you fix first? Pipkins is the drip. Nothing more, and most of us (other than OT) advocates are not huge giant Pip-fans. Its just not top priority. If Job 1 is protecting Herbert, that is IOL first.

If we are moving on from Joey or Mack, Edge is priority. LB is priority. RB is huge priority. CB priority? Lots of bigger needs, thats all,

Of course, they may just decide to go OL first. If thats their call, based on top talent on the board and decision to not add WR (or TE?) - ok by me. Trust in JH2 (JH1, really)
                There is no way we are drafting a guard or center fifth overall. And Zion Johnson wasn't nearly as bad as you have made him out to be in his rookie season. He was named to the Pro Football Writers of America NFL All-Rookie Team, which isn't everything but shows that he played well enough to be recognized. With better coaching I definitely see more upside in Zion, Salyer, and even McFadden at guard than I do with Pipkins at right tackle.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  This guy is interesting - a Lions' fan but also a Michigan fan who is taking an interest in the Chargers because of Harbaugh. He opines that Michigan was so loaded in 2023, that they had guys who did get a chance to show their full potential and several of them are in this year's draft, and Harbaugh and Hortiz could clean up on with Day 3 picks from Michigan who will turn out to be steals. He opines that the biggest steal of the draft could be Cornelius Johnson, a WR who PFF projects will at the top of the 5th round, right where the Chargers pick with #139. He didn't compile a lot of stats because Michigan ran the ball so much. Johnson's Combine tests were off the charts, and he has 4.45 speed. Another player he mentions is AJ Barner, the self-proclaimed best blocking TE in the draft. PFF ranks Barner at the top of the 6th round, again, right where the Chargers pick at #180. But he doesn't just talk about these two, he talks about several much lesser known Michigan picks who Harbaugh might target on Day 3.

The benefit of bringing in a college coach from an elite team - lots and lots of insight into not only Michigan's players, but all the teams they played over the past few years.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

I have read a lot about Barner as the best blocking TE - would be a nice pick up. Like was said, Harbaugh and those from his staff like Minter, Clinkscales, will have insights into the players. Even Ben Herbert - he will know if the guy worked out or what his attitude in the weight room was.

Hortiz just needs to load up on picks. Really would like 8 or 9 picks by the end of Round 5

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Better OL play and design will allow us to run the ball better... I agree. The Ravens did that with an undrafted RB (Gus Edwards). He actually out-played 2nd round pick JK Dobbins. So having talent @RB seems to be something we can find in the draft... but doesn't necessarily have to be a selection in the 1st three rounds. It also doesn't rule out getting cheap RB depth via free agency. I certainly don't see us spending a lot in free agency... it's not the Hortiz philosophy.

The coaches have said that a better run game will set up the passing game. There will be deep shots off of play action. That won't negatively impact the rest of the team at all. It will open up the offense. Harbaugh/Roman will be excited to have a QB that can make those throws. Harbaugh had that @Michigan. Hortiz did not have that @the Ravens. The threat of Herbert to QJ should keep the secondary back. That will make the run game better. The threat of Herbert to Keenan/JP will keep LB's back. Again that will help the run game. A efficient/productive run game will help the passing game (something we haven't had since Herbert has been here). That's why the coaches keep saying, "Can you imagine Justin Herbert with a run game...?"

This offense will be balanced. Because of that balance, the offense will be more efficient, sustain drives, create big plays, control time-of-possession, protect leads, and close-out games (with MaHommes on the bench in the last minutes of the game). Because of all of those things, your defense won't tire as much. They won't be asked to do the impossible (contain MaHommes/Kelcy in the last minutes of the game). By having a balanced offense you are taking undue pressure off of your defense. I don't see that as negative or unnecessary at all.
                      LOL, no he didnt,....you have to be kidding! Dobbins got hurt so Edwards got to play more. Edwards is no way shape or form out played Dobbins who unfortunately has suffered to big injuries the last two seasons.
                      Hec Keaton Michell was better than Edwards but Micthell is small and got hurt too.

Keep in mind those that want to sign Edwards...he has 30 receptions in 5 years. Not much or a reciever. Had 12 last season with 198 rushes.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

And I disagree. IMO, he is plug-and-play. He may indeed get stronger and better. The thought of that alone should cause people to be excited. Notre Dame isn't a finesse offense... and Joe Alt is not a finesse OT. You and I must be watching different players.

In the end, a well-rounded OT (pass and run block) is what will make this offense better. It will have a better effect on the overall team than a WR or TE will. You have to recognize what Harbaugh/Roman/Minter want to do. Protect the QB. Run the ball. Play strong defense.

The very best way to do all of those things is to trade back to #10-13. But if... if you can't find a trade partner, and have to pick someone @#5. Then I'm 95% sure that player will be OT Joe Alt. He fits. He's ready. He'll make the biggest impact.

Notice that my first choice is to trade back. If we move back to #10-13... Joe Alt is gone @#7. Are you willing to trade back and miss out on Nabers, Odunze, and Bowers in order to make the whole team better...?
                        10-13 range would be ideal and it would mean some great picks in day two, we could get one of or the top Corner, or get one of my guys Verse or Turner, I know, I know what your going to say next, they are all going to be gone by then LOL...not to mention that the best plug and play RT in this draft will probably be there in that range too...

I would not relegate a 7mil per guy to swing tackle and spend the #5 pick on a guy that doesn't play RT and doesn't want to play RT...how inconvenient for you guys that Slater is an All-pro LT and no one in their right mind in this FO would even contemplate replacing him right now...
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

I got no problem with Harbaugh picking multiple Michigan players...not only are there some good ones...but he knows who has what it takes to come to work, and be successful and reliable, at whatever level they play at, be it 3rd string special teams, or full on starter...there will be no bust or wasted pick, most likely, on any Michigan player he takes.

One of the biggest reasons I think we need to be sellers in this draft for more picks...a whole lot of depth issues on this team can be resolved with the lunchpail type players Harbaugh developed in Michigan...and there will be a hefty number of them throughout day 2 and 3.
                          Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X