• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...I'll say it again: Trade down to somewhere between #8 - #12 or so, pick up C with first pick...not sexy, but huge PON...UNLESS Hortiz and Harbo can sign a decent FA C...THEN, I'll entertain looking at TE or WR @#5...
    I dont know I would take Powers Johnson as high as 8 with his injury concerns, he even got hurt at senior bowl practise...but...i agree with you...center is a bigger need than RT. Still like him bit a but later in first round for more picks or a center on day 2...or FA maybe

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Man it don't take much for some of you to run with the bait does it lol. A Chiefs fan posted that about Bowers and it's fake.

​​​
      Yep...AMAZING how some people fall for that kind of click bait...

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Good news! JJ McCarthy had a good day throwing the ball

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I dont know I would take Powers Johnson as high as 8 with his injury concerns, he even got hurt at senior bowl practise...but...i agree with you...center is a bigger need than RT. Still like him bit a but later in first round for more picks or a center on day 2...or FA maybe
          I think that would be the highest drafted OC ever. The highest drafted the last 35 years was at #14.

I don't think JPJ is the best OC prospect ever. I think he is getting over hyped.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I have no problem with moving Alt to the right side. Pipkins isn't my idea of "protect the QB and run better".
            Alt is a much better pass blocker than Pipkins... it's not even close.
            Alt is a very good run blocker... Notre Dame picked up "tough yards" behind Alt all the time.

Most mocks have Alt going before Nabers... sometimes as high as #2.
            Some don't like Bowers @5 because of the position he plays. Same would be said of Alt for us because he would be playing RT. Maybe a different
            discussion if we needed a LT. But Herbert is right handed and we can slide the protection if Pipkins is as bad as some here think. Or move Slayer there
            and draft some real OGs.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Good news! JJ McCarthy had a good day throwing the ball
              If the Bears draft Caleb Williams, as expected;
              If the Commanders draft Drake Maye, as expected;
              If the Patriots draft Jayden Daniels;
              If the Cardinals draft Marvin Harrison Jr., as expected;

Which team is going to motivated to jump ahead of the Giants to draft McCarthy? There's a slew of QB needy teams drafting from #6-#16.

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He looks healed up to me. Wouldn't bother me a bit to draft him round 2-3. Wright in round 3-4 would be great too.
                Benson and Wright are high on my list but I like other RBs as well. Doubt the rest of them are injury free.

Frank Gore Sr had ACL injuries in both knees coming into the NFL.

Many of the RBs only got weighed and measured today. Didn't run.
                I get your thought however I think Benson's knee injury was more than just his ACL?

During December of 2020, Benson suffered a catastrophic knee injury that tore his ACL, MCL, both his lateral and medial meniscus, and his gracilis tendon (hamstring). After the tough road to recovery, Benson transferred to Florida State in January of 2022.

Comment

• Javia
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Trade your 5th for a 8th and 2nd or 3rd.
                  Draft Bowers at 8, your C with your 2nd and your G with the Falcons pick.
                  Go defense after that.
                  Trade down to 15-18 and the Chargers can pick up both a 2nd and a 3rd rounder this year, and JPJ will likely still be available. Even if JPJ isn't available, a Fuaga or Mims type of RT, a Harbaugh type of RT, will be.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I agree it is hard to compare WR and OT.

I just think the top 3 WRs are special and more elite at their position than the top 3 tackles at their position, even though this is a very good and deep tackle draft. But Alt is not Ogden, Joe Thomas, or even Sewell. Whereas MHJ is one of the best WRs prospects in years. if it wasnt for him, Nabers would be WR1 in many drafts. Can't say that about Joe Alt at tackle I dont think. He is a solid technician, a finesse tackle who is good overall, but he lacks some strength and power...might not be the mauler who gets to the second level for the run game that Harbaugh likes.

Good tackle obviously but Jeremiah has him as his #9 overall player, behind Nabers, Odunze and Bowers.

And yes, with better coaching and better guard play beside him, Pipkins might be ok for another year at RT. Drafting at 5 is a rare opportunity for a blue chip player. I dont think you use it to convert Alt to right tackle. I am far more on board to trade down for powerful RT prospects like Latham or Fuaga and getting extra picks if they want to go tackle. otherwise if you cant trade down take the blue chip game breaker
                    Well, if we wait @OT until we find Ogden, Thomas, or Sewell... we'll be waiting a long time.
                    If we get a tackle that can do the things that Harbaugh wants... protect the franchise QB and allows us to run the ball well... then get him.
                    I've watched a lot of his games... I think he does a very good job moving his face-up defenders and getting to the 2nd level.
                    I think he's exactly what Harbaugh/Roman likes.

Pipkins may improve marginally with better coaching/scheme... but he's had 2 years with Duke Manyweather. He's hit his ceiling IMO. I would much rather have a better OT for 5 years than a year more of "maybe"...

If the Chargers can find a trade partner to move back... I'm all for it. Latham and Fuaga are not great pass protectors, though.

OLineCentric

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I have no problem with moving Alt to the right side. Pipkins isn't my idea of "protect the QB and run better".
                      Alt is a much better pass blocker than Pipkins... it's not even close.
                      Alt is a very good run blocker... Notre Dame picked up "tough yards" behind Alt all the time.

Most mocks have Alt going before Nabers... sometimes as high as #2.
                      First I have ever heard of that. Whose mocks? Fans or draft evaluators? Havent seen Alt higher than 5 anywhere. I wouldnt say most have Alt at 5 either. Seeing a split between Nabers, Alt and Bowers and i would say I have seen Alt the 3rd most.

As a fan who doesnt want Alt at 5, I am encouraged by Hortiz's comments and by what Nate Tice, former NFL coach and scout, said with his take on what kind of tackle Jim Harbaugh likes.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I get your thought however I think Benson's knee injury was more than just his ACL?

During December of 2020, Benson suffered a catastrophic knee injury that tore his ACL, MCL, both his lateral and medial meniscus, and his gracilis tendon (hamstring). After the tough road to recovery, Benson transferred to Florida State in January of 2022.
                        That is pretty bad. Only thing that worries me is the meniscus. How much did he get cut out? They don't fix those, they take them torn apart out as there is no blood supply to the meniscus.
                        ACLs don't worry me as much.

But he can develope arthritis early from a bad meniscus but the only one I've seen get it real early is Gurley and I'm not sure he had meniscus damage.

Derwin missed a season from a meniscus injury and hasn't had problems since.
                        So I'd say medical reports will hold some value there.

I also like Wright, R.Davis, Allen, Corum and Lloyd. Guerendo or whoever , I've never watched so I don't know about him. Going to take Estime down a notch with his slow time.

I'll add Brooks but only if we sign a guy and draft one and get him to sit most the year. I don't think he would have a blazing 40. Id guess 4.5 to 4.6

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

You know what, I am sure Joe Alt will be a fine tackle and would good on the Chargers just not at 5 with so many tackes available in this draft. Just cant justify the 5 pick ina great daft for a right tackle.

Trade down. There is no guarentee Alt is the best tackle from this draft in the NFL. I want to see what Fashanu does at the combine, tons of ablility. A guy like Guyton could mature into a stud. The big beast from Washington, Latham, Mims...so many options that would upgrade Pipkins

Comment

Working...
                          X