• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If they can trade Bosa for a 3rd rounder... I'd do it. It saves around $14.4m on this year's cap... and clears him off of 2025's cap.
    We need TE and RB. You could pick up D'Andre Swift (Eke's replacement) and Hunter Henry. Combined, both would cost less than the #14.4m you save with a Bosa trade. Maybe use the 3rd rounder to replace Bosa... or use @another position and draft OLB @another round TBD.
    See - now thats almost a plan. Hunter is an average receiver but he’s better in-line than Everett so better fits JH/Roman vision. Who’s the third round edge player? Is he a Day 1 starter or are you keeping Khalil and betting on Tuli taking another step before day1? What if he’s gone, whats plan B? As I said - I’m not Joey’s step-dad, I don’t have any particular extra affection for him. I’ve seen all of the downside you’ve seen.

your next post - they could be talking up value, or could be honest, or both. You could be right. There is also the generalized coaches talk highly of their players in general too - players hate coaches that throw shade on players, even when sometimes deserved. It’s bad juju for the organization. But I think they value edge rushers as critical to modern football. And I do think they are serious about Derwin, so there’s that.

We’ll find out in a couple month. Entertain counter arguments in the the spirit intended in the meantime, it’s not personal on my side. I like to stress test all ideas and proposals, it’s part of my process. No idea is 100% positive/0% negative - it’s good to explore out the negatives and weigh the net effect.

And keep in mind as you propose ideas that JH’s intention is to win now. Not maximize possibilities for 2025. Strategies that hurt 2024 to benefit to 2025 and 2026 are probably not what he wants.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Both Harbaugh and Minter have been talking up certain players... a lot of those being players we've all talked about possibly trading. Are they truth telling... or escalating trade values...? We'll find out.
      That may work in a fantasy football league but not in the NFL

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yeah, other teams are unlikely to fall for bluffs.

It’s interesting this board thinks JB is utterly useless, selfish, undisciplined and surely will be wearing a boot and eating raisins in the sun all season but he’s worth a #3. Huh. I wouldn’t give a 3 for that.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Well, if I'm indeed serious about trading either... I'm sure not going to shit-talk them... LOL!
          I imagine Hortiz is going to consider all players trade candidates (except Herbie) and see what he can get.
          It's what he does...
          OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

See - now thats almost a plan. Hunter is an average receiver but he’s better in-line than Everett so better fits JH/Roman vision. Who’s the third round edge player? Is he a Day 1 starter or are you keeping Khalil and betting on Tuli taking another step before day1? What if he’s gone, whats plan B? As I said - I’m not Joey’s step-dad, I don’t have any particular extra affection for him. I’ve seen all of the downside you’ve seen.

your next post - they could be talking up value, or could be honest, or both. You could be right. There is also the generalized coaches talk highly of their players in general too - players hate coaches that throw shade on players, even when sometimes deserved. It’s bad juju for the organization. But I think they value edge rushers as critical to modern football. And I do think they are serious about Derwin, so there’s that.

We’ll find out in a couple month. Entertain counter arguments in the the spirit intended in the meantime, it’s not personal on my side. I like to stress test all ideas and proposals, it’s part of my process. No idea is 100% positive/0% negative - it’s good to explore out the negatives and weigh the net effect.

And keep in mind as you propose ideas that JH’s intention is to win now. Not maximize possibilities for 2025. Strategies that hurt 2024 to benefit to 2025 and 2026 are probably not what he wants.
            If there are trades... if they trade back in the 1st... if they create cap space with cuts/moves... it makes a lot of sense to fill holes cheaply (semi-cheaply). There are a million different ways to go. The RB/TE position looks favorable because we're so thin there... and free agents are relatively cheap at those positions. Football seems to be no different from any other business... look for good return-on-investment. It's something Hortiz seems to be good at... and TT was really bad at.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• SAY OW 55
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

I say the most important guy the Chargers should be trying to sign is Hunt. They need some guard help. Put him at Guard move Zion Johnson to Center and put Pimpkins at right Tackle.

Comment

• Kylars
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Brian Thomas
                LSU WR Brian Thomas Jr. 2023 Highlights 🐯 ᴴᴰ (youtube.com)

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Keep in mind this is the Chargers Number 5 pick. Other Chargers number 5 picks Junior Seau Ladanian Tomlinson.

so the Chargers have to hit this pick.

They have to get a great player.

Bowers

Nabers

Oudunzie

it has to be elite. They say Bowers is a unicorn just as a player alone. So just on that he would be drafted and be the player. They say he just has talent. You don’t say well 5 is too high for a tight end. If he’s great. He’s great. With all the running back talk stuff Bijan still went 8 cause he’s great.

from what I hear according to people like Steve Smith Malik Nabers is elite great talent. Does things as a receiver really runs clean routes is really close to Marvin Harrison Jr. in rankings.

So I’ll throw Alt in there

5 has to be a pro bowler Hall of famer.

We’re not going hey we’re going to fill this is in over here and now we got this player in this roster spot cause that’s how we draft.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                    Keep in mind this is the Chargers Number 5 pick. Other Chargers number 5 picks Junior Seau Ladanian Tomlinson.

Bowers

Nabers

Oudunzie

it has to be elite. They say Bowers is a unicorn just as a player alone. So just on that he would be drafted and be the player. They say he just has talent. You don’t say well 5 is too high for a tight end. If he’s great. He’s great. With all the running back talk stuff Bijan still went 8 cause he’s great.

from what I hear according to people like Steve Smith Malik Nabers is elite great talent. Does things as a receiver really runs clean routes is really close to Marvin Harrison Jr. in rankings.

We’re not going hey we’re going to fill this is in over here and now we got this player in this roster spot cause that’s how we draft.
                    Bowers is a freak. He can run the ball as well if we are creative. Pitts won't and didn't do that, he isn't much of a blocker and was not a good fit in Arthur Smiths offense....as he wouldn't be here.

Not another TE in this draft that can do that like Bowers.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post

Bowers

Nabers

Oudunzie

Taking him at #5 is stupid. I think he will be available all the way down to #11. So if we can trade down and target him I'd be OK with that. Just not crazy about taking him at #5. I don't see him as an insane game changer in the NFL like he was in college. I'm OK with taking Nabers at #5 if he PASSES the Psyche test.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Im expecting more of a Brady led Pats style offense with massive TE play and stout run games. I think those offenses made it easy for Brady. He always needed that run game and you could make the case that Playoff Lenny was really helpful in him winning a SB with Tampa. I really am on the Derrick Henry train lol Draft a complimentary RB.

I am definitely seeing Bowers(Gronk) in play. A stud RB. Allen our Edelman. I know its not the same offense but i think we could draft a little like the Pats did when Brady was there. Lots of Trench guys...DBs....RB...and they used high picks on a bunch of TEs if i recall. Graham. Watson. Gronk. Those TEs were so key in that offense. Stout D. Hybrid DB/LB. Minimize the need for rotations allowing opponents to take advantage via hurry up.

I dont think we are drafting for a spread offense. I get that Keenan is old and will retire soon...but i think we extend him a couple years. He retires a bolt. Has that Edelman role. McConkey would make a nice 3rd round Edelman type pick up also. I love Nabers and thats no secret...but the minute we signed Harbaugh and Roman the TE red flags went up. Bowers might be the best TE/Hybrid WR prospect to even come out. And we all know during Romas career every season his TE was either #1 or #2 target. Bowers just sort of scream fit here.

Just feel like some of the takes against Bowers are so chicken shit.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                          Im expecting more of a Brady led Pats style offense with massive TE play and stout run games. I think those offenses made it easy for Brady. He always needed that run game and you could make the case that Playoff Lenny was really helpful in him winning a SB with Tampa. I really am on the Derrick Henry train lol Draft a complimentary RB.

I am definitely seeing Bowers(Gronk) in play. A stud RB. Allen our Edelman. I know its not the same offense but i think we could draft a little like the Pats did when Brady was there. Lots of Trench guys...DBs....RB...and they used high picks on a bunch of TEs if i recall. Graham. Watson. Gronk. Those TEs were so key in that offense. Stout D. Hybrid DB/LB. Minimize the need for rotations allowing opponents to take advantage via hurry up.

I dont think we are drafting for a spread offense. I get that Keenan is old and will retire soon...but i think we extend him a couple years. He retires a bolt. Has that Edelman role. McConkey would make a nice 3rd round Edelman type pick up also. I love Nabers and thats no secret...but the minute we signed Harbaugh and Roman the TE red flags went up. Bowers might be the best TE/Hybrid WR prospect to even come out. And we all know during Romas career every season his TE was either #1 or #2 target. Bowers just sort of scream fit here.

Just feel like some of the takes against Bowers are so chicken shit.

Fabulous take me as a Bowers guy never looked at it that way.

Comment

Working...
                          X