AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Pundits are using new terminology.
    It's simpler, for TPB Knucklewalkers.

A "Thursday Guy" is a Round 1 prospect.
    "Friday" Round 2 or 3.

A "Saturday Guy" is for the rest of the scrubs.
    Unfortunately, we are all "Saturday Guys."
    Yep...these draftnik gurus have a whole lot of weird jargon, like "cow on ice" and "glass eater:"

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

"Well that's just like your opinion, man" - The Dude-

Also an opinion... Joe Alt is the best OT in the draft. Prove me wrong.
      Let's put it this way: Both Alt and Fuaga are excellent run blockers. Most draftniks have Alt rated higher in run blocking. However, Alt clearly is the better of the two in pass pro. Now, Fashanu is great in pass pro, but a bit weak in run blocking. Can he be coached up? Don't know...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If we don't get Alt, and if we trade down, Fuaga would be a very nice consolation prize...as long as we ALSO get JPJ in round 2...
        There is some logic to drafting a guy who has already demonstrated his competence playing RIGHT TACKLE.

Know whut I mean, Vern?

As highly rated as Alt is, I can't say with certainty that he'd actually be the best right tackle for the Bolts, when he's played LEFT tackle in college.

If you think there's not much of a difference? If you play guitar, you probably play right-handed. Try playing left-handed. It's no simple switch.

I play guitar, and badly mangled the left index finger of my left (fretboard) hand in a circular saw accident. The finger was damaged so badly that I experimented with playing the guitar LEFT handed. It was amazing how LITTLE transferred over! Lucky for me, I recovered over 90% of the movement in that finger (only about 70% of the sensation, unfortunately) so I can play the guitar again, with a number of compensations to cover for the index finger that doesn't work like it used to.

Since right tackles are a lesser commodity, I think it's worth exploring the idea of drafting a non-Alt tackle, after a trade down.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Monday morning here.
          Monday afternoon here!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

There is some logic to drafting a guy who has already demonstrated his competence playing RIGHT TACKLE.

Know whut I mean, Vern?

As highly rated as Alt is, I can't say with certainty that he'd actually be the best right tackle for the Bolts, when he's played LEFT tackle in college.

If you think there's not much of a difference? If you play guitar, you probably play right-handed. Try playing left-handed. It's no simple switch.

I play guitar, and badly mangled the left index finger of my left (fretboard) hand in a circular saw accident. The finger was damaged so badly that I experimented with playing the guitar LEFT handed. It was amazing how LITTLE transferred over! Lucky for me, I recovered over 90% of the movement in that finger (only about 70% of the sensation, unfortunately) so I can play the guitar again, with a number of compensations to cover for the index finger that doesn't work like it used to.

Since right tackles are a lesser commodity, I think it's worth exploring the idea of drafting a non-Alt tackle, after a trade down.
            Adarius Mims at 11 after trading down with the Vikings so they can get a QB.

Chargers get 11, 2nd and 4th round picks from MN.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Know whut I mean, Vern?

Good point there, Quack...how about the Salyer experiment from T to G...how'd that work out?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Good point there, Quack...how about the Salyer experiment from T to G...how'd that work out?
                Salyer was a late round draft pick they could afford to experiment with. I'm not sure we know his actual value yet.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Salyer was a late round draft pick they could afford to experiment with. I'm not sure we know his actual value yet.
                  He was one of the best RT in college when he was drafted.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

I'm a left winger in hockey.
                    In the offensive zone, I prefer to be on the right side.
                    Is it possible, in some circonstances, a LT will be confortable on the right side ?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                      I'm a left winger in hockey.
                      In the offensive zone, I prefer to be on the right side.
                      Is it possible, in some circonstances, a LT will be confortable on the right side ?
                      Yes. It's just not a guarantee.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Fuaga is the best RT in the draft if you want to run the ball better (posted for discussion)

prove me wrong gordon ramsay GIF by MasterChef Junior
                        100% correct.
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Let's put it this way: Both Alt and Fuaga are excellent run blockers. Most draftniks have Alt rated higher in run blocking. However, Alt clearly is the better of the two in pass pro. Now, Fashanu is great in pass pro, but a bit weak in run blocking. Can he be coached up? Don't know...
                          Some web sites have Fashanu rated higher than Alt. None of that matters. It's what the Chargers think.

I don't know a lot about each and don't follow college ball. What I do know is that a few years ago some very highly rated OT's turned out to be busts in the NFL.
                          A former GM did a good write up on why that was the case. Basically said most college programs do not run NFL pass pro, so they never line up in a three point
                          stance or learn to form a pocket. That becomes a technique issue in the NFL that some never overcome.

Comment

Working...
                          X