• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

In as far as running the ball and protecting Herbert is concerned, we have a bigger problem with our center (don't have one) and OGs which were at times a disaster.
    We can slide protection away from the ROT side, but the rush coming up the middle kills QBs. If the OGs can't pull or move DTs to open up space as was the case
    last year we won't be able to run inside the tackles. Plus missed assignments by our OGs were costly in the passing game. As bad as Pipkins was, we also need major
    help inside.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

We're doomed, all hope is lost, we'll never compete much less win, we need 50 new players, its a 20 year rebuild project and I am not even kidding, hopefully my grandkids someday see the Chargers win another game, ... we are doooooooooooomed.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

if so, would target Cincy's fourth rounder @116 for Pips....
        Post June first would be after the draft so it would be a 4th in 2025. Thats why i suggested a trade for a player but either works.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          We're doomed, all hope is lost, we'll never compete much less win, we need 50 new players, its a 20 year rebuild project and I am not even kidding, hopefully my grandkids someday see the Chargers win another game, ... we are doooooooooooomed.
          We are not doomed. But we are in a rebuild mode. Expect upwards of 20 new players come September. The good news, we have a real coaching staff in place and a GM
          that knows what he's doing.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Post June first would be after the draft so it would be a 4th in 2025. Thats why i suggested a trade for a player but either works.
            If Cincy wants to give up a 4th round pick for Pipkins and take all of his salary - thats a no-brainer to take the extra cap hit this year

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

We are not doomed. But we are in a rebuild mode. Expect upwards of 20 new players come September. The good news, we have a real coaching staff in place and a GM
              that knows what he's doing.
              Dmac was being facetious I think

That said, this is a two year rebuild, there will be roster turnover of like 25 if not 30 players. Maybe more if you include the PS. But like you said, JH2 will have a vision in place to build a long term successful team. I do not think they are going to cut corners to try for a one year push and leave them hanging in the future years

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

If we draft JPJ, move Salyer to his best position at RT, plug McFadden in at RG:

Slater
                Johnson
                JPJ
                McFadden
                Salyer

Slater and Johnson are big time players, they should bounce back/be ready. JPJ, doesn’t get much if any better for a OC first year. McFadden and Salyer, late rounders who should be ready to step up for this - one could say, But you’re counting on young guys developing, and you’d be right. Not gonna draft four new OL in the first round, nor should any team.

Or add in a rookie RG later in the draft - who may or may not be better than McFadden coming out of college, that’d be a toss up who responds better. But that looks like a better Oline to me than last year’s. No Pipkins is a positive IMO, he can be swing OT or whatever.

Comment

• SK21209
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2020
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

Think about where the Rams were this time last year. 5-12, in cap hell after going all-in to win that Superbowl, a bunch of their stars/quality starters gone and a million holes on the roster. They accumulated a bunch of draft picks, including 10 Day 3 picks. The took a bunch of fliers in the draft and guys like Nacua and Byron Young exceed any expectations. They make the playoffs, have significant cap space this offseason and are going to be a trendy pick next year to win their division and maybe the NFC.

We have a lot of work to do to turn over this roster, but it can happen quickly if you hit on a couple of later round guys. But that requires you to have darts to throw. If we can get anything for Mike, I'm for it. I think I want to keep one of Mack or Bosa, but I'm taking the best offer for the other.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

That said, this is a two year rebuild, there will be roster turnover of like 25 if not 30 players. Maybe more if you include the PS. But like you said, JH2 will have a vision in place to build a long term successful team. I do not think they are going to cut corners to try for a one year push and leave them hanging in the future years
                    Yeah I know. Just pointing out that we are not SB bound just yet. First step is getting under the cap. I think that has to happen by March 1st. So expect lots of changes coming.
                    One contract already restructured saving us about $10M. Much more to come.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                      Think about where the Rams were this time last year. 5-12, in cap hell after going all-in to win that Superbowl, a bunch of their stars/quality starters gone and a million holes on the roster. They accumulated a bunch of draft picks, including 10 Day 3 picks. The took a bunch of fliers in the draft and guys like Nacua and Byron Young exceed any expectations. They make the playoffs, have significant cap space this offseason and are going to be a trendy pick next year to win their division and maybe the NFC.

We have a lot of work to do to turn over this roster, but it can happen quickly if you hit on a couple of later round guys. But that requires you to have darts to throw. If we can get anything for Mike, I'm for it. I think I want to keep one of Mack or Bosa, but I'm taking the best offer for the other.
                      I’d also include late round darts thrown in previous drafts for us, Staley proved to be a poor reader/manager of talent.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

The 53 who start the season will have new faces in the low 20's Max.
                        Two years are for wannabes. We ain't them.
                        Pissing away another year of Herbert's career isn't on the agenda.
                        That's not to say that we won't try to improve every year. We will.
                        There'll be turnovers every year as Harbaugh competes for a SB in 2024 and on.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

If Cincy wants to give up a 4th round pick for Pipkins and take all of his salary - thats a no-brainer to take the extra cap hit this year
                          IF being key. Id do that.

Comment

Working...
                          X