• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post
    Some of you are in love with Alt at #5, but it just makes little sense. You cannot build a team with just 2 top picks ( #1 and #2 ).
    Chargers have a lot of needs, not just one. If we were close then I would pick best player at #5. We are not. WE HAVE TO TRADE DOWN!!
    Anything else would be a downer for me. You can still get a really good OT ( that is not far off of Alt )later or even a top CB. With extra picks we an get both of these and more. Maybe even 4 for sure starters. CB, OT, C DL .
    As someone mentioned earlier it will take more that just the draft to rebuild this team. They will also have to be smart about pick ups and trades.
    I agree that trading down can accelerate rebuilding... but you *still* have to have the right trade partner, offering up a sufficient amount in return.

If Hortiz manages to trade down to the #8 or #9 range, he could STILL get Bowers (or Alt, or Nabers, or Odunze-- there will be more than one option.)

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      I've been an advocate for trading down to get more picks. But now I'm coming around to Brock Bowers at #5. The kid is special. Herbert has been plagued with a lack of good weapons the past two seasons. Bowers is a TE, but he can play in the slot, he can be an X receiver, he can carry the ball on jet sweeps.
      the opinions are flying all over the place, but Herbert is our best weapon (and most expensive). he needs:

1. time to throw.
      2. open targets to throw to.

so many times, it seems like Herbert is taking so long to find an open guy. maybe someone who could get open quickly would take care of both of those issues.

bowers at 5? bowers with a trade back? i am dizzy...

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I agree that trading down can accelerate rebuilding... but you *still* have to have the right trade partner, offering up a sufficient amount in return.

If Hortiz manages to trade down to the #8 or #9 range, he could STILL get Bowers (or Alt, or Nabers, or Odunze-- there will be more than one option.)
        Trading down to 8 would definitely get one of the elite playmakers in the draft and I'd be all for it. If they want Alt I don't think they could trade down as the Titans will snap him up.

Comment

• northerner
          Charger fan since '79
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Trading down to 8 would definitely get one of the elite playmakers in the draft and I'd be all for it. If they want Alt I don't think they could trade down as the Titans will snap him up.
          if we want Alt or Nabers, i think we need to stay at 5. bowers has the "small trade back" strategy that will likely work - and if it does not work, take Dallas Turner, etc.

It is hard to go wrong in the top ten (5-10 to be exact), but we might not get our exact target if we trade back.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I want the best player we can find with the fifth overall pick or after a trade down. We finally have a head coach who has a history of winning big with his teams dominating the line of scrimmage. My top priority as a fan of this team is to win the Super Bowl, and with Harbaugh as head coach I believe the best way of doing that is by building up both sides of the line and the back end of the defense. That's why my interests are mostly in Alt and the three pass-rushers (Latu, Turner, and Verse). I'm also very intrigued with the idea of trading down and grabbing Fuaga. My hope is we can do that for one of the pass-rushers, but I'm not so sure that could be done realistically. We'll learn more after the combine. If there were a Sauce Gardner in this draft I would be all about him at fifth overall, but there doesn't appear to be a corner of that caliber.

If Marvin Harrison is there fifth overall I am all about taking him, since I believe he's going to be that great. He's the only player in this draft I would say is the no-brainer pick if he's there at fifth for us. I'm also not so sure you can't find a tight end after Round 1 in this draft. You seem to be pretty adamant about that, probably because you've been all about Brock Bowers for at least two years, but I find it hard to believe that Harbaugh and Hortiz won't be able to get a tight end after the first round if they don't take Bowers.
            You can. Not saying you cant but what i keep saying is this TE isnt that deep. WR is,,,OL is. Sure we can find a TE in round 3. I like Ben Sinnott as well but he isnt on Bowers level at all. There are several WRs i like.
            I think MHJ will be very good but i dont care if we dont draft him or Nabahs. It isnt like we dont have any recievers and only if we release both Keenan and MW would i consider a WR in round1 @5.
            I think QJ is going to be much improved next season. Davonte Adams rookie year was very similar to QJs. Never count out a top pick after year 1.

As for OL, Im more interested in fixing the middle of the OL than RT. The middle of the OL was crapola and maybe we can just swap Salyer to RT next to Bowers,.... a better blocker than Everett and thats an upgrade til we draft a RT in 2025. Draft a RT...thats cool but what about OC and RG? Thats still sux.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
              What would you do to help the TE room?

1. Sign Mike Gesicki and draft Theo Johnson and AJ Barner?

2. Sign Adam Trautman and draft Theo Johnson and AJ Barner?

3. Draft Sign Adam Trautman and draft Brock Bowers and Theo Johnson or AJ Barner?

4. Sign Mike Gesicki and draft Brock Bowers and Theo Johnson or AJ Barner?

I personally wouldn’t be upset if any of these moves would happen. Need a blend of blocking and pass catching though.
              Gesicki is a terrible blocker. No Thanks,....even without Harbaugh and his emphasis on running the ball. He offers zero as a blocker. Not a inline TE at all.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post
                Some of you are in love with Alt at #5, but it just makes little sense. You cannot build a team with just 2 top picks ( #1 and #2 ).
                Chargers have a lot of needs, not just one. If we were close then I would pick best player at #5. We are not. WE HAVE TO TRADE DOWN!!
                Anything else would be a downer for me. You can still get a really good OT ( that is not far off of Alt )later or even a top CB. With extra picks we an get both of these and more. Maybe even 4 for sure starters. CB, OT, C DL .
                As someone mentioned earlier it will take more that just the draft to rebuild this team. They will also have to be smart about pick ups and trades.
                I'm really conflicted on this one...I like Alt @#5, because I'm tired of patching up our RT spot with projects like Pip who don't really pan out, or with dumpster dive FA's...I'd still like Alt, BUT...if we can get a good offer and only have to trade down up to #11 or so, and ALSO get a 2nd and 3rd rounder or more, I MIGHT be open to a trade-down...so many spots we need to fill, so good point...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm really conflicted on this one...I like Alt @#5, because I'm tired of patching up our RT spot with projects like Pip who don't really pan out, or with dumpster dive FA's...I'd still like Alt, BUT...if we can get a good offer and only have to trade down up to #11 or so, and ALSO get a 2nd and 3rd rounder or more, I MIGHT be open to a trade-down...so many spots we need to fill, so good point...
                  Depending on what they do with trading Bosa &/or Mack - if they get anything

My goal is sitll 6/4th, 8/5th and 10+ picks

I think that probably means trading back in Round 1 -- Minnesota or Atlanta are the two teams. I would not want to get behind the Raiders or Broncos. But need a 2nd round pick - if they are trading up for QB - make them pay

Just messing around with a mock draft simulator and I have tried to trade back to Atlanta or Minnesota and my trades are declined!

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You can. Not saying you cant but what i keep saying is this TE isnt that deep. WR is,,,OL is. Sure we can find a TE in round 3. I like Ben Sinnott as well but he isnt on Bowers level at all. There are several WRs i like.
                    I think MHJ will be very good but i dont care if we dont draft him or Nabahs. It isnt like we dont have any recievers and only if we release both Keenan and MW would i consider a WR in round1 @5.
                    I think QJ is going to be much improved next season. Davonte Adams rookie year was very similar to QJs. Never count out a top pick after year 1.

As for OL, Im more interested in fixing the middle of the OL than RT. The middle of the OL was crapola and maybe we can just swap Salyer to RT next to Bowers,.... a better blocker than Everett and thats an upgrade til we draft a RT in 2025. Draft a RT...thats cool but what about OC and RG? Thats still sux.

Just my opinion.
                    I know I get it but you're not an actual talent evaluator as well as I'm not either! The TE position is very tricky and to draft Bowers at 5 is a reach any way you look at it! Sure Herbert's abilities could make any TE better, so I'm not so sure Ben Sinnott couldn't be a great TE for the Chargers as well, I believe his blocking could be just what Harbaugh needs!

When you say Sinnott is not at Bower's level, I bet you would have said last year at this time Sam LaPorta is not at Dalton Kincaid's level either, see what I mean. It's a very tough call to draft Bowers over Joe Alt based on the beating Herbert took the last few seasons here!

Maybe if we are hell bent on Bowers a good strategy would be to trade down a bit and if he gets drafted, go with RT Fuaga or Newton or Dallas Turner as plan B! Because we have a lot of team needs based on TT's failures, this could very well outweigh drafting Bowers at 5, unless he's at a hall of Fame level! Is he!? We just don't know for sure that he is!

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Depending on what they do with trading Bosa &/or Mack - if they get anything

My goal is sitll 6/4th, 8/5th and 10+ picks

I think that probably means trading back in Round 1 -- Minnesota or Atlanta are the two teams. I would not want to get behind the Raiders or Broncos. But need a 2nd round pick - if they are trading up for QB - make them pay

Just messing around with a mock draft simulator and I have tried to trade back to Atlanta or Minnesota and my trades are declined!
                      The Falcons and Vikes--those are my main 2 targeted trading partners...if they don't want to pony up the goods, stay put @#5...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The Falcons and Vikes--those are my main 2 targeted trading partners...if they don't want to pony up the goods, stay put @#5...
                        Titans could want Alt - would they jump the Giants to get Alt - but they don't have a 3rd round pick to trade -- would they flip a 2nd , chargers flip back a pick like a 4th - doubt it

Falcons and Vikings - like you stated -- might both be in the market for QB

Bears at 9 - do not have a second round pick - that seems to far to not have a current 2nd

Jets at 10 - do not have a second round pick - no deal

Broncos are 12 - not helping them plus no second rounder

So really its the Falcons or Jags

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Post combine, I’m expecting Alt to be the consensus 2nd rated non-QB in the draft after MHJ. And maybe even the first. If you take BPA, that’s him.

And there’s always the Zion to C option if we miss out on the top starting centers in the draft. There do appear to be good OG options through the early 3rd round.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X