• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

So draft the rookies that are the best bullshitters? I think I have an idea for a new consulting er training company for Staley …

Saved By The Bell Idea GIF by PeacockTV
    I wonder if some of the interviews go something like this:

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Dude lol.

Draft according to how they play, plus combine interview. Game speed uber alles.
      Yeah. I was kinda joking about the interview game as understanding if a young man is going to have the mental toughness and discipline for the NFL is very important. but just be mindful to not over-weight impressive talk vs actual play ability and skill.

I suspect Tommy and Johnny got schnookered more than once by a well-spoken young player of limited play ceiling but impressive personal presentation. Stick to basics - the interview is to screen out undraftables, not pick the Prom King.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Yeah. I was kinda joking about the interview game as understanding if a young man is going to have the mental toughness and discipline for the NFL is very important. but just be mindful to not over-weight impressive talk vs actual play ability and skill.

I suspect Tommy and Johnny got schnookered more than once by a well-spoken young player of limited play ceiling but impressive personal presentation. Stick to basics - the interview is to screen out undraftables, not pick the Prom King.
        I think they fell in love with players’ “potential” based on measurables. Trusted their uncanny savvy to develop those players into top NFL talent. Woot.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Kind of like how the Spani and TT got schnookered by Lynn's reported "take charge" attitude in the interview, while ignoring his very skimpy resume...

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Charger needs: C, CB, TE, RB, LB, Edge (assuming Mack, Bosa or both are gone)
            Charger wants: ROT, DT, Safety, WR

I can make the argument that NE with Gronk, KC with Kelce have won lots of SBs. More than those teams with average TEs. So there's that.

Trading down may make the most sense because we need so much. Good position to be in at #5. But I think your excuse for not taking Bowers
            makes no sense. If he's a game changer you take him, period. And we need a TE more than a WR.

Excuse? No. I simply pointed out that you don't NEED a stud tight end to win the Super Bowl. Please read more carefully.

Brady won four of them without Gronk, including the comeback victory over Atlanta--when Gronk was out of the playoffs completely after undergoing back surgery. Travis Kelce wasn't helping Mahomes very much during the Super Bowl loss against the Bucs, when Mahomes was running for his life. Or do you attribute that blowout victory to the Bucs having Rob Gronkowski in the battle of tight ends?

Getting a stud tight end is not the highest priority to winning a Super Bowl. We're not doomed if we don't take Bowers in the first and choose to get a tight end later. Some of you have become so infatuated with the position because of Travis Kelce, and perhaps because the four teams in this year's conference championship games had very good-to-great tight ends. Meanwhile, one of them, the Ravens, went 6-1 without their stud tight end (Mark Andrews) in the seven games leading up to the AFC Championship Game--and their one loss came when Lamar Jackson sat out. Another team, the 49ers, won their NFC Championship game when George Kittle caught two passes for 27 yards.

You don't think right tackle is a need? Have you been paying attention to our offensive line for the last 15 years, beginning when Jeromey Clary took over that spot?
            Last edited by DerwinBosa; 02-16-2024, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

OK, lets take out the word need. And sorry, Everett is mediocre at best and isnt a very good blocker, adds no speed. He runs hard, but thats it.

We got the best TE by FAR right in our sites. We NEED a TE bad, probably 2 of them and its a big drop off after Bowers. Harbaugh said he wants to give Herbert the best chance to succeed ....(not word for word), and Bowers would be a big part of that with his recieving and blocking skills.'OL will help too but some very good OL in other rounds.

And you know, Bowers isnt just a TE. Dude is a very good athlete. He runs jet sweeps and has good speed and runs well in space with YAC. They could probably line him up i the backfield at times and he would be effective but i wouldnt want to do that too often and bang him up.

He is more than your typical TE and a great piece to add to an offense.

If you would like a lessor player , cool. Id still like to trade down and get him with an extra pick or two but why pass on elite talent for Herbert? Not like he had a bunch of weapons last season. MW, and Palmer went out, Keenan was it! No TE to help elevate his game. Just Keenan and a ineffective Ekeler.

IMO its a no brainer pick.
              I want the best player we can find with the fifth overall pick or after a trade down. We finally have a head coach who has a history of winning big with his teams dominating the line of scrimmage. My top priority as a fan of this team is to win the Super Bowl, and with Harbaugh as head coach I believe the best way of doing that is by building up both sides of the line and the back end of the defense. That's why my interests are mostly in Alt and the three pass-rushers (Latu, Turner, and Verse). I'm also very intrigued with the idea of trading down and grabbing Fuaga. My hope is we can do that for one of the pass-rushers, but I'm not so sure that could be done realistically. We'll learn more after the combine. If there were a Sauce Gardner in this draft I would be all about him at fifth overall, but there doesn't appear to be a corner of that caliber.

If Marvin Harrison is there fifth overall I am all about taking him, since I believe he's going to be that great. He's the only player in this draft I would say is the no-brainer pick if he's there at fifth for us. I'm also not so sure you can't find a tight end after Round 1 in this draft. You seem to be pretty adamant about that, probably because you've been all about Brock Bowers for at least two years, but I find it hard to believe that Harbaugh and Hortiz won't be able to get a tight end after the first round if they don't take Bowers.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

What would you do to help the TE room?

1. Sign Mike Gesicki and draft Theo Johnson and AJ Barner?

2. Sign Adam Trautman and draft Theo Johnson and AJ Barner?

3. Draft Sign Adam Trautman and draft Brock Bowers and Theo Johnson or AJ Barner?

4. Sign Mike Gesicki and draft Brock Bowers and Theo Johnson or AJ Barner?

I personally wouldn’t be upset if any of these moves would happen. Need a blend of blocking and pass catching though.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I think they fell in love with players’ “potential” based on measurables. Trusted their uncanny savvy to develop those players into top NFL talent. Woot.
                  Those measurables never seemed to include speed and size.

I'm in the enamored by interview performance camp,

Darius Phylon being the one exception.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

I've been an advocate for trading down to get more picks. But now I'm coming around to Brock Bowers at #5. The kid is special. Herbert has been plagued with a lack of good weapons the past two seasons. Bowers is a TE, but he can play in the slot, he can be an X receiver, he can carry the ball on jet sweeps.

I've read there is a scenario where Marvin Harrison Jr. could fall to the Chargers at #5. I don't believe he will. The Cards would be crazy to let Harrison get past them.

I'm not keen on the idea of draft Joe Alt at #5. The OL already has two first rounders. KC's O line is a collection of 2nd and 3rd picks, three of whom were acquired in free agency.

I'm not concerned about the draft to honest, I have full faith in the Harbaugh and his team to make good decisions. Harbaugh does have a unique perspective on the college talent in this draft.

When was the last time you felt so confident in a head coach and the front office for the Chargers? I don't think I've ever felt this confident. It could all fall apart and the dream not be what it seems, but at this point right now I just feel like the team is in the best place it has ever been in terms of coaching and management.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Excuse? No. I simply pointed out that you don't NEED a stud tight end to win the Super Bowl. Please read more carefully.

Brady won four of them without Gronk, including the comeback victory over Atlanta--when Gronk was out of the playoffs completely after undergoing back surgery. Travis Kelce wasn't helping Mahomes very much during the Super Bowl loss against the Bucs, when Mahomes was running for his life. Or do you attribute that blowout victory to the Bucs having Rob Gronkowski in the battle of tight ends?

Getting a stud tight end is not the highest priority to winning a Super Bowl. We're not doomed if we don't take Bowers in the first and choose to get a tight end later. Some of you have become so infatuated with the position because of Travis Kelce, and perhaps because the four teams in this year's conference championship games had very good-to-great tight ends. Meanwhile, one of them, the Ravens, went 6-1 without their stud tight end (Mark Andrews) in the seven games leading up to the AFC Championship Game--and their one loss came when Lamar Jackson sat out. Another team, the 49ers, won their NFC Championship game when George Kittle caught two passes for 27 yards.

You don't think right tackle is a need? Have you been paying attention to our offensive line for the last 15 years, beginning when Jeromey Clary took over that spot?
                      ^ Truth...and I would even add that Clary was assigned to RT because Fluker was a bust at that position...and barely serviceable at RG...the Bolts have been neglecting RT far too long...after Clary, it was Barksdale, another stop-gap signing who got beaten regularly like a drum...then, it was Tevi, a day 3 draft pick and decent run-blocker but poor in pass pro...then it was Bulaga, a high-priced FA injury bust...then it was Norton, another TT dumpster dive FA special who got rag-dolled worse than Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons...then it was Pip, a reach and a project who took a long time to become barely mediocre...TIME TO QUIT MESSING AROUND AND DRAFT A REAL OT!!!

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Reality is that both Bowers or Alt...or Nabers...or Odunze are fine choices at 5

But please stop bringing up ONE cherry picked Super Bowl as some example that Kelce isnt important because the Chiefs had a rare bad playoff game. You might have noticed the Chiefs have won 3 other Super Bowls in the past 5 years. You might have noticed that Travis Kelce has more receptions in the playoffs than any other player in NFL history. You might have noticed the Chiefs have won 7 straight AFC West titles in which Kelce has been bitch slapping the Chargers.

Comment

• Icebolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2023
                          • Send PM

Some of you are in love with Alt at #5, but it just makes little sense. You cannot build a team with just 2 top picks ( #1 and #2 ).
                          Chargers have a lot of needs, not just one. If we were close then I would pick best player at #5. We are not. WE HAVE TO TRADE DOWN!!
                          Anything else would be a downer for me. You can still get a really good OT ( that is not far off of Alt )later or even a top CB. With extra picks we an get both of these and more. Maybe even 4 for sure starters. CB, OT, C DL .
                          As someone mentioned earlier it will take more that just the draft to rebuild this team. They will also have to be smart about pick ups and trades.

Comment

Working...
                          X