• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

CBs for us i like...id draft none at #5. Trade down for sure if we go CB round one.

I like KoolAid
    DeJean
    Wiggins but have the reservations

I think King is a second rounder. Id take Arnold over King in round 2 but Jeremiah has me going back to the tape of Arnold. PFF has Arnold ahead of Kool Aid for those who like PFF. They have DeJean as the #1 CB in their rankings but have Quinyon Mitchell (as ive mentioned before) as their #1 CB for the 2023 season grade.

Two sites ive seen have DeJean as the #1 CB over Kool Aid (PFF is one). DeJean has good tape on a not so loaded defense like Bama.

So many other players id take than those guys at #5 though. Im not going CB in round one unles we trade down a ways. Still going Bowers...and id be fine trading down to 8...MAYBE 10 and still hopefully get him.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I think of Odunze as a mix between Mike Williams and Keenan Allen (with more speed). People think he will run a sub-4.40 forty-yard dash at the combine. I don't think he's that fast (nor do I obsess about 40-times). But he's like Mike in that he can compete for 50/50 balls. He's like Keenan in that he runs good routes and sets defenders up nicely.

I think that if you have Keenan, Odunze, QJ (who I haven't given up on), and Joshua Palmer... Yikes! And then you sub DD in for Palmer on plays you want the defense to defend deep (or the jet sweep)...? Wow! That's a weaponized offense. Find yourself a little scatback in the draft (to come out of the backfield)...? That's almost unfair. And that's why I put Odunze and Nabers in my Top-12.

There are 100 different ways to build a roster. But... pay attention to both sides of the ball. So far the teams with Top-5 defense are winning the playoff games.
      It didn't hurt to have the best offenses also. O 2-0, D 2-0

Maybe we'll get a deciding game today.
      O = Det & Buf W's

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

It's a cliche for a reason.

Go look at the 49ers teams of the 80's and 90's. Their offense was always top-10. But the only years they won SB's were the years their defense was top-5. They used to lose playoff games when their defenses were ranked lower.

This year, the #1-4 scoring defenses are: Baltimore, Chiefs, 49ers, Buffalo respectively.
        There are no accidents. These teams have been picking the premium positions (OT/DE/CB/WR) for several years now.
        There have been 2 TE's (Hayden Hurst and Kincaid) chosen in late 1st round. Hurst didn't make it to his 2nd contract with Baltimore. The Bills offense gained 9 extra yards (and 6 fewer passing TD's this year.
        Those 49ers defenses were overshadowed by Bill Walsh's offenses led by Joe Montana, but they were great. The goal-line stand against Cincinnati in Super Bowl XVI. The domination of Dan Marino (the year he threw 48 touchdowns passes and for over 5,000 yards when NOBODY ELSE was coming close) in Super Bowl XIX. Giving up just 16 to the Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII, the year Boomer Esiason was MVP. Making John Elway looking like a Pop Warner quarterback in Super Bowl XXIV during a 55-10 blowout. They had several other great postseason games, too. No way does San Francisco have that dynasty in the 1980s without those defenses.

The 1994 49ers are a bad memory here, but they were loaded with talent on defense, although I'm not a fan of the way they went about it--buying a championship with Ken Norton, Jr., Deion Sanders, Ricky Jackson, Richard Dent, Gary Plummer, etc.

Walsh knew the importance of great defense, which is why he drafted defensive backs Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson in the first three rounds in 1981. We're talking about possibly the greatest offensive mind in NFL history coaching one of the three greatest quarterbacks in NFL history using all of his picks in the first three rounds on defense. Yes, the game is different now, but the idea that we HAVE to use our premium picks on weapons to surround Herbert and worry about defense later is the wrong way to go about it, in my opinion.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It didn't hurt to have the best offenses also. O 2-0, D 2-0

Maybe we'll get a deciding game today.
          O = Det & Buf W's
          Yep. SF and Baltimore know how to build both at the same time.
          It didn't hurt that Mr. Irrelevant covered up the Trey Lance blunder...
          OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Those 49ers defenses were overshadowed by Bill Walsh's offenses led by Joe Montana, but they were great. The goal-line stand against Cincinnati in Super Bowl XVI. The domination of Dan Marino (the year he threw 48 touchdowns passes and for over 5,000 yards when NOBODY ELSE was coming close) in Super Bowl XIX. Giving up just 16 to the Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII, the year Boomer Esiason was MVP. Making John Elway looking like a Pop Warner quarterback in Super Bowl XXIV during a 55-10 blowout. They had several other great postseason games, too. No way does San Francisco have that dynasty in the 1980s without those defenses.

The 1994 49ers are a bad memory here, but they were loaded with talent on defense, although I'm not a fan of the way they went about it--buying a championship with Ken Norton, Jr., Deion Sanders, Ricky Jackson, Richard Dent, Gary Plummer, etc.

Walsh knew the importance of great defense, which is why he drafted defensive backs Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson in the first three rounds in 1981. We're talking about possibly the greatest offensive mind in NFL history coaching one of the three greatest quarterbacks in NFL history using all of his picks in the first three rounds on defense. Yes, the game is different now, but the idea that we HAVE to use our premium picks on weapons to surround Herbert and worry about defense later is the wrong way to go about it, in my opinion.
            Don't forget Walsh was more than excited to take Fred Dean and Gary Big Hands Johnson off our cheap-skate hands for us. Doh!
            OLineCentric

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

I think of Odunze as a mix between Mike Williams and Keenan Allen (with more speed). People think he will run a sub-4.40 forty-yard dash at the combine. I don't think he's that fast (nor do I obsess about 40-times). But he's like Mike in that he can compete for 50/50 balls. He's like Keenan in that he runs good routes and sets defenders up nicely.

I think that if you have Keenan, Odunze, QJ (who I haven't given up on), and Joshua Palmer... Yikes! And then you sub DD in for Palmer on plays you want the defense to defend deep (or the jet sweep)...? Wow! That's a weaponized offense. Find yourself a little scatback in the draft (to come out of the backfield)...? That's almost unfair. And that's why I put Odunze and Nabers in my Top-12.

There are 100 different ways to build a roster. But... pay attention to both sides of the ball. So far the teams with Top-5 defense are winning the playoff games.
              Yeah with the amount of QBs and WRs in the top 10 we can trade down to help build our trench game. Both sides.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Yep. SF and Baltimore know how to build both at the same time.
                It didn't hurt that Mr. Irrelevant covered up the Trey Lance blunder...
                Det = 3 best O Ws! Def is 2-1. Tampa made a better game than I expected! How were they the 23rd ranked scoring offense?

Next up KC defense for the tie!

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Why the fuck does a mock draft have us drafting Oduze Washington receiver at 5?????? If we draft him over Bowers I’m walking from Los Angeles to San Diego.

the drop off from Harrison to Oduze is a joke.

He’s a good receiver he’s not better than Brock Bowers.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

I think there is a really good chance that if they can trade back with ATL, Bowers, Nabers or Odunze will still be there. And I would take any of those guys. Now if they decide to go back even further, say around 11, there is still a good chance Kool-Aid will be there. I would be happy if with the first 5 picks being, Bowers, Jenkins, TJ Tampa, Braelon Allen and Roman Wilson,

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                      I think there is a really good chance that if they can trade back with ATL, Bowers, Nabers or Odunze will still be there. And I would take any of those guys. Now if they decide to go back even further, say around 11, there is still a good chance Kool-Aid will be there. I would be happy if with the first 5 picks being, Bowers, Jenkins, TJ Tampa, Braelon Allen and Roman Wilson,
                      I really dont mind a move with Atl if they see a QB they like. Nabers will be gone, but Bowers could be there and Odunze should be. I am not as into moving out of the top 10 though

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I really dont mind a move with Atl if they see a QB they like. Nabers will be gone, but Bowers could be there and Odunze should be. I am not as into moving out of the top 10 though
                        Thinking we may have to go back to 10. At 8, ATL will get leftover QBs after Maye and Caleb with Daniels, Penix or if Nix is moving up there as well. Jets may want to get ahead of ATL and possibly the Giants? But they are kinda stuck with Jones? Idk

Just a guess tho. Bowers may be there at 10.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Okay I feel better Bucky Brooks has Brock Bowers going to us at 5. We should hire him as our GM.

Comment

Working...
                          X