• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northerner
    Charger fan since '79
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The ESPN, Fox Sports, WalterFootball, and other so-called genius talent evaluators can rank players however they want, but just because they have Bowers fifth and Dallas Turner 13th doesn't mean the new Chargers general manager has to pick Bowers over Turner if he likes Turner more and can't trade down--or doesn't want to take the risk of missing out on Turner even if he is able to trade down. I would have much rather "reached" for T.J. Watt in 2017 instead of picking Mike Williams seventh. I'm sure many people would have said the Dolphins "reached" if they had picked Micah Parsons sixth overall instead of Jaylen Waddle in 2021.

The mock draft experts aren't working in an NFL front office for a reason. They offer nothing more than entertainment value. And I say that with great respect for Mel Kiper, who's a huge reason why the NFL Draft is such a huge event on the calendar.
    if someone offers us a huge haul to trade back, the defensive guys (Latu and Turner) start to get very attractive. I think either of those guys don't make a lot of sense at #5 (the draft boards mean something, even if they are just educated guesses).

if someone gave us the TJ watt and Micah Persons crystal ball (throw in Troy Polamalu as well), then we might go defense at #5.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

if someone offers us a huge haul to trade back, the defensive guys (Latu and Turner) start to get very attractive. I think either of those guys don't make a lot of sense at #5 (the draft boards mean something, even if they are just educated guesses).

if someone gave us the TJ watt and Micah Persons crystal ball (throw in Troy Polamalu as well), then we might go defense at #5.
      The draft boards in NFL front offices mean something. The draft boards created by people not working in front offices and who have no experience scouting players is all entertainment and shouldn't be taken so seriously. The best thing that the mock draft experts do is allow you to look into prospects you may have never heard of. Other than that, they're nothing but fans. If you want to believe one player is a reach with the fifth overall pick because Mel Kiper has him ranked eighth on his draft board that's fine. I think it's a mistake to rule out such a player for that reason.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

The modern NFL has proven that with the right support on offense and decent coaching an elite franchise QB only needs an average defense to get you into the playoffs every year

Herbert has had to try to over come a historically bad defense the last 3 years...no defense in NFL history has given up more points over that span. That and bad coaching

You try to improve this defense yes, but first you get Herbert set up to get your max return out of your 262 million dollar player
        The modern NFL has eight teams in the playoffs right now. There are currently three teams that have used top-five picks on pass-rushers: the 49ers with NIck Bosa (second overall), the Lions with Aidan Hutchinson (second overall), and the Texans with Will Anderson (third overall). The 49ers also have Chase Young, who was drafted second overall by Washington in 2020. The highest-drafted receiver remaining in the playoffs is Mike Evans, who was selected seventh overall in 2013. There is only one tight end remaining in the playoffs who was drafted in the first round--Dalton Kincaid of the Bills, and he was taken 26th overall.

The modern NFL offense that has been the most successful over the last handful of years is the Kansas City Chiefs. Since Andy Reid took over they have not used a first-round pick on a wide receiver or tight end. The one time Reid has had a top five pick with the Chiefs, he used it on offensive tackle Eric Fisher (the same year he got Travis Kelce in the third round). Reid has used three first-round picks on pass-rushers and traded away another one for Frank Clark. He has used two first-round picks on cornerbacks--Marcus Peters and Trent McDuffie. He traded his first-round selection in 2016 to move back and acquire more picks. His first pick that year was used on Chris Jones, the defensive tackle, in the second round. That same year he got Tyreek Hill in the fifth round. In all of Reid's years as a head coach he has used two first-round picks on wide receivers (Jeremy Maclin and Freddie Mitchell). He has never used a first-round pick on a tight end. He has used 10 on defensive linemen. So, I don't think he subscribes to your theory.

The modern NFL has proven there will be plenty of top receivers available in the second round and beyond (I've listed all of them more than I care to, but it's not hard to find Davante Adams, Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown, Stefon Diggs, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Puka Nacua, etc.) The list at tight end is very similar.

I'm not saying you pass on Marvin Harrison in the top five. There are some players who are just that much better than everyone else. Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson fell into that category, although their selections never amounted to success in the playoffs. In my unprofessional opinion I think Marvin Harrison stands out above everyone in this draft class, with the exception of Caleb Williams, so I would definitely take Harrison if we could. I don't believe Brock Bowers or Malik Nabers, very good prospects, are of that caliber to say we HAVE to take one of them if we stay at the fifth overall pick. I feel players like Dallas Turner and Latu may be just as good as Bowers and Nabers, so I would rather take Latu or Turner because I place more value on a pass-rusher than I do a wide receiver or tight end. Joe Alt, meanwhile, may be better than all of them, so I am intrigued by him, too.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

DerwinBosa is crushing it! Good job, man.

You have 3 or 4 QB's that have 1st round status... and about 7 or 8 teams that could want QB. We are perfectly positioned right before/after teams that might need QB's. A tradeback is a real possibility.

The current prospects that the media are crushing over are all very good players. But disparaging other players (just as good IMO) is just not moving the needle for me. You have to go beyond highlight tapes. Watch good players vs good players where you can. Look at the current roster build and envision building a whole team.
          OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Latu, Turner, and Kool-Aid all make sense @#8.
            If someone trades to #5... it's probably because someone wants/needs a QB.
            Consensus is that the 2 QB's fit in the top-8. 2 OT's. 2 WR's. 1 TE.
            That's 7 offensive players off the board @#8.
            Even @#10, you get get 1 of the 3 best defensive players.
            Play Atlanta and NYJ against each other @#8 and #10.
            Let's see who is properly motivated...
            OLineCentric

Comment

• Go Chargers go
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2023
              • Send PM

Unless there is only 1 or 2 QBs drafted in top 5, I don’t see any to trade our pick for a lot in return

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

If Bowers wasn't in this draft and TE wasn't a huge need,....it depends on what we do with the players in our team but if we trade or release Bosa and Mack, Edge rusher is probably my priority in round one.

If Bowers goes before us I'm looking edge rusher with Latu. Maybe trade back a bit. CB is next.
                WR isn't a top priority but depends on what we do there as well in the off-season.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The draft boards in NFL front offices mean something. The draft boards created by people not working in front offices and who have no experience scouting players is all entertainment and shouldn't be taken so seriously. The best thing that the mock draft experts do is allow you to look into prospects you may have never heard of. Other than that, they're nothing but fans. If you want to believe one player is a reach with the fifth overall pick because Mel Kiper has him ranked eighth on his draft board that's fine. I think it's a mistake to rule out such a player for that reason.
                  Teams get the players ranked wrong all the time. All anyone has is their opinion. I like Daniel Jeremiah for a ballpark estimate.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

I'm reasonably confident Jim Harbaugh will be the Chargers' next coach. My plan for year 1 under the new HC/GM regime would be to trade down as much as possible to acquire as many picks in rounds 2-4 in this draft as possible.

The Chargers #5 pick could be parlayed into so many picks in those value rounds, instead of using it on one player (Bowers).

I'd bring back Hunter Henry on a two year deal for $14 mil. I'd also sign Derrick Henry on a 1 year $4.5 mil deal.

Then I would use the bonanza of 2nd to 4th round picks to fill in the holes at RB, WR, CB, OL, etc.

Take a look at what the Packers have done the past two drafts.

WRs Christian Watson (2nd rnd in 22), Romeo Doubs (4th 22), Jayden Reed (2nd 23) and Dontayvion Wicks (5th 23). TEs Luke Musgrave (2nd 23) and Tucker Kraft (3rd 23). Starting OL Rasheed Walker (7th 22), Zach Torn (4th 22), Josh Myers (2nd 21).

In the 2022 draft the Packers drafted two current defensive starters low in the 1st round and several depth players in rounds 2 through 7 in '22 and '23.

The Chargers have most of the major pieces in place in Herbert, Slater, Keenan, and adding to that in FA with the two Henrys. IMO, they could turn the franchise around completely by 1. hiring Harbaugh and 2. filling in the gaps with a plethora of value picks in this draft.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Latu a big NO! Please no more drafting college players with first round picks who have had major injuries before going pro! Haven't we learned our lesson with MW and the countless draft picks TT drafted coming off of injuries???

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        If Bowers wasn't in this draft and TE wasn't a huge need,....it depends on what we do with the players in our team but if we trade or release Bosa and Mack, Edge rusher is probably my priority in round one.

If Bowers goes before us I'm looking edge rusher with Latu. Maybe trade back a bit. CB is next.
                        WR isn't a top priority but depends on what we do there as well in the off-season.
                        WR may be BPA for us. Multiple quality guys for Herbert to throw to every down, every game is a priority.
                        Position value starts with QB- OT( anti edge rush)- Edge Rush. We need our GM - HC- OC- DC in place to make some calls on vet keepers and who we are going to be on O and D.
                        I'd look at OT and Edge if not WR / Bowers at 5.

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          I'm reasonably confident Jim Harbaugh will be the Chargers' next coach. My plan for year 1 under the new HC/GM regime would be to trade down as much as possible to acquire as many picks in rounds 2-4 in this draft as possible.

The Chargers #5 pick could be parlayed into so many picks in those value rounds, instead of using it on one player (Bowers).

I'd bring back Hunter Henry on a two year deal for $14 mil. I'd also sign Derrick Henry on a 1 year $4.5 mil deal.

Then I would use the bonanza of 2nd to 4th round picks to fill in the holes at RB, WR, CB, OL, etc.

Take a look at what the Packers have done the past two drafts.

WRs Christian Watson (2nd rnd in 22), Romeo Doubs (4th 22), Jayden Reed (2nd 23) and Dontayvion Wicks (5th 23). TEs Luke Musgrave (2nd 23) and Tucker Kraft (3rd 23). Starting OL Rasheed Walker (7th 22), Zach Torn (4th 22), Josh Myers (2nd 21).

In the 2022 draft the Packers drafted two current defensive starters low in the 1st round and several depth players in rounds 2 through 7 in '22 and '23.

The Chargers have most of the major pieces in place in Herbert, Slater, Keenan, and adding to that in FA with the two Henrys. IMO, they could turn the franchise around completely by 1. hiring Harbaugh and 2. filling in the gaps with a plethora of value picks in this draft.
                          Trading down from the 5th pick provided you could obtain that teams 1st 2nd and 3rd is all I would go for in trading down, otherwise something like Alt with pick 5 the top D player on the board in round 2 and RB B. Allen in the 3rd, while at the same time trading one of our DE's for a 3rd round pick to draft the top center on the board, to me that could be a great draft strategy!

Comment

Working...
                          X