• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northerner
    Charger fan since '79
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They doubled and at times triple teamed him the whole game.
    which was smart. it is similar to double covering Travis Kelce - make someone else beat you.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Ekler looked a bit washed this year, could be lingering ankle of could be losing some burst.

It wouldnt suprise me if he has some trouble finding a roster next year and it wont be for big money. He might be brought in as a 3rd down back but not a starter.
      Ek has a whole lotta humble pie to eat before he works out what he is doing next year. I am not against the guy finding a spot here, but he can tour the market first and level set himself.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

Ek has a whole lotta humble pie to eat before he works out what he is doing next year. I am not against the guy finding a spot here, but he can tour the market first and level set himself.
        The Spani shy away from headcases...and I think they may feel Ekkie bit the hand that feeds him when they bent over backwards and re-did his deal to include some nice incentives...then Ek kept whining and made some negative statements about RB's getting underpaid even AFTER he got the incentives deal...then he didn't produce all that well this year, plus multiple fumbles...I don't think the Spani take too kindly to dudes like this...trust me, he's gone, and the Spani won't take him back...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I agree with trenchers that say we need OL. The question will be does the next staff think they can coach up either Pip or Salyer to secure RT.

If yes - nobody spends a #5 pick on an OG or C, the value is not there. They grab an elite position player (WR - Nabers/Odunze, TE=Bowers, CB -Koolaid, Edge=Latu) or they trade down to stock their draft pick basket

If they conclude no - then Alt (for some Fashanu though I think Alt will be more rounded and better in rush blocking) rises quickly up their board. They may still trade down a few steps and bet one of those two lasts until ... 8?

Watching our 2023 OL have difficulty across the board, I believe scheme+coaching created a sub product as much or more than the players ceilings prevented success. But how can anyone know eh?
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The Spani shy away from headcases...and I think they may feel Ekkie bit the hand that feeds him when they bent over backwards and re-did his deal to include some nice incentives...then Ek kept whining and made some negative statements about RB's getting underpaid even AFTER he got the incentives deal...then he didn't produce all that well this year, plus multiple fumbles...I don't think the Spani take too kindly to dudes like this...trust me, he's gone, and the Spani won't take him back...
            We need to completely retool the RB room. Ekkie is done here, his 2023 was an emphatic goodbye note.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              I agree with trenchers that say we need OL. The question will be does the next staff think they can coach up either Pip or Salyer to secure RT.

If yes - nobody spends a #5 pick on an OG or C, the value is not there. They grab an elite position player (WR - Nabers/Odunze, TE=Bowers, CB -Koolaid, Edge=Latu) or they trade down to stock their draft pick basket

If they conclude no - then Alt (for some Fashanu though I think Alt will be more rounded and better in rush blocking) rises quickly up their board. They may still trade down a few steps and bet one of those two lasts until ... 8?

Watching our 2023 OL have difficulty across the board, I believe scheme+coaching created a sub product as much or more than the players ceilings prevented success. But how can anyone know eh?
              This question applies to every young player on the roster. Are they not NFL caliber players or were they just put in a horrible scheme and not developed properly? I think a good coach with a good scheme that players can actually grasp can get more out of them.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Dmac, that IS a good question...but I think a big part of the answer is SOLID O-LINE DEPTH...I am leaning towards trading down to get picks so we can draft a solid C early, AND a decent OT early, AND also IOL maybe in the mid rounds...I see Pip as a backup swing tackle, so if Salyer doesn't work out at RT, we have the draftee to compete with him...we need C, RT and IOL (swing G and C) out of this draft...and I wouldn't mind us picking up a decent FA RT also...

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

This question applies to every young player on the roster. Are they not NFL caliber players or were they just put in a horrible scheme and not developed properly? I think a good coach with a good scheme that players can actually grasp can get more out of them.
                  We need the new GM-HC and staff on board to do their own evaluations ASAP. Last year's OL performance was inadequate, to be kind. The new guys have to make it right. Their careers are on the line.( )
                  I'd make sure C is fixed with a good vet in 2024 and hire a new OC and OL coach to better use and develop our OL players now and in the future.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We need the new GM-HC and staff on board to do their own evaluations ASAP. Last year's OL performance was inadequate, to be kind. The new guys have to make it right. Their careers are on the line.( )
                    I'd make sure C is fixed with a good vet in 2024 and hire a new OC and OL coach to better use and develop our OL players now and in the future.
                    there is plenty of time, no need to rush. Rest assured that new team will be in place and complete the roster analyses with ample time. Nothing happens roster-wise for a long time.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

I hope Tyler Biadasz is our top priority in free agency, if it's possible. That will remove center from our needs in the draft. If we accomplish that, I'm hoping for Alt or Latu with the fifth pick or a trade down.

If Harbaugh is hired I will sit back and trust that he and his general manager are making the right decisions.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

The latest USA Today mock draft has the Chargers selecting LSU's Malik Nabers. Nabers is a phenomenal YAC receiver and could add a serious deep threat to the Chargers' offense. While other options are available such as Georgia's Brock Bowers and Washington's Rome Odunze, Nabers provides something that the Chargers haven't had in years, namely, a receiver that can stretch the defense while making big plays in short yardage situations as well.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Per multiple twitter sources, Caleb Williams will declare for the NFL draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X