• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

... and hope to god they can play a position (ORT) they haven't played in college?
    At an NFL starter level as a rookie no less?
    Along the OL, it happens all the time.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

from a Packers' LB.... "Fields looks @his first receiver, and if he's not open, he runs.... There is no progression."

there is also the salary issue.... the rookie will cost $25-30m less.

the sentiment is that the Bears will take a QB w/the first pick....
      Yes but he ran a lot less this season. Completion % a little better every season. He has only one good WR and a TE finally catching on. OL not great.

Just depends how the Bears FO sees it. They have some time to decide on his 5th year option. If not I guess they start over at QB again and Caleb ain't having it lol. He has 3 days and Chicago shouldn't care if they let him know anything.
      Teams draft top 3 for a reason. Not sure where his preferred destination is.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
        Chargers Hall of Fame
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Don't know about 20 picks, but for instance this year, I'd like us to trade down enough to pick up an extra 2nd rounder this year, and a 1st rounder NEXT year...then, next year, trade THAT pick for more picks...let's PRODUCE picks instead of throwing them away to move up for mediocre players...
        I agree. Yet...I hate not using that top 5 pick this year for a blue chip. But trading it is the only to fulfill your thoughts above. Sigh.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I think CB and WR are fairly deep at the top end this season. So if we did go Odunze in the 1st...a good CB will be there in the high 2nd. Its not a great year for elite CB guys at the top end. Kool Aid sure. But even he might not crack the top 10. But its still a solid draft for good starting CBs. Just not Ramsey types imo.

Arnold...Mitchell...Tampa are bigger type CBs with good value in the 2nd imo. High 3rd round might also work for a good CB.

In regards to the Eagles using Johnson at RT....Lions also use Sewell at RT and he is a 1st team AP this season....

Alt would come in and start immediately at LT....
          IMO, after Kool Aid, the CB class takes a pretty big drop. I have Kalen King around #20. I had him higher... then MHJ exposed some warts.
          Harbaugh stayed away from Kool Aid... and went after Terrion. Once you get past King, I think the CB's start losing their appeal as man v man coverage guys. I believe that every secondary needs at least one guy that can be counted on to cover man v man when called upon. It's a glaring hole for us.

Sewell was pick #7 and Lane was pick #4. OT's that are picked that high can block anywhere. The last Notre Dame OT to be drafted high was Mike McGlinchey (#9). He was a LT that came in and played very well as a rookie @RT. IMO, it makes no sense to leave one of your OT's weak. Teams will just line their best pass rusher there and expose that weak link. I argued this point right before Pipkins got re-signed.

OT, DE, WR, and CB are premium positions. Those are the targets @#5.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

IMO, after Kool Aid, the CB class takes a pretty big drop. I have Kalen King around #20. I had him higher... then MHJ exposed some warts.
            Harbaugh stayed away from Kool Aid... and went after Terrion. Once you get past King, I think the CB's start losing their appeal as man v man coverage guys. I believe that every secondary needs at least one guy that can be counted on to cover man v man when called upon. It's a glaring hole for us.

Sewell was pick #7 and Lane was pick #4. OT's that are picked that high can block anywhere. The last Notre Dame OT to be drafted high was Mike McGlinchey (#9). He was a LT that came in and played very well as a rookie @RT. IMO, it makes no sense to leave one of your OT's weak. Teams will just line their best pass rusher there and expose that weak link. I argued this point right before Pipkins got re-signed.

OT, DE, WR, and CB are premium positions. Those are the targets @#5.
            Tony Maderich and Robert Gallery say hello. McGlichy hasn't been that great either. He finished with a 67.5 grade, which according to PFF is the backup category. Pip finished with a 62.8

So it isnt fool proof as you like to point out about Bowers. But I do get it. OL usually a safer pick. Still, TE is a bigger drop off after Bowers than CB is from Kool Aid.

HOWEVER, if we get Harbaugh he will be interested...imo in fixing then trenches more than fixing WR and CB. They all matter but he seems like a LOS guy. Whether or not TE is included in that im not sure but if he wants to go with two TE sets, it should be.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I agree. Yet...I hate not using that top 5 pick this year for a blue chip. But trading it is the only to fulfill your thoughts above. Sigh.
              A blue chipper, or close to it, can be had in picks #8-10...think of all the years we picked at the mid teens...to be still picking in the top 10 AFTER a trade down is pretty cool...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

For those of you that think a top-5 or even top 10 pick is an automatic guarantee of a blue-chipper, check out these POST-SEASON grades of 1st round picks from the 2023 draft. Good talent can be had ANYWHERE in the first round...interesting how many players were graded C or even D:

1. Bryce Young QB, Panthers...C-
                2. C. J. Stroud QB, Texans...A
                3. Will Anderson Edge, Texans...A
                4. Anthony Richardson, QB, Colts...Incomplete
                5. Devon Witherspoon CB, Seahawks...A
                6. Paris Johnson LT, Cardinals...B+
                7. Tyree Wilson Edge, Raiders...C-
                8. Bijan Robinson RB, Falcons...B
                9. Jalen Carter DT, Eagles...A
                10. Darnell Wright OT, Bears...C
                11. Pete Skoronski OT, Titans...C-
                12. Jahmyr Gibbs RB, Lions...B+
                13. Lukas Van Ness LB, Packers...B-
                14. Broderick Jones OT, Steelers...B
                15. Will McDonald Edge, Jets...D
                16. Emmanuel Forbes CB, Commanders...D
                17. Christian Gonzalez DB, Patriots...Incomplete
                18. Jack Campbell LB, Lions...A-
                19. Calijah Kancey DT, Buccaneers...C
                20. Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR, Seahawks...B-
                21. Quentin Johnston WR, Chargers...C- (yep, sounds about right)
                22. Zay Flowers WR, Ravens...A (ouch)
                23. Jordan Addison WR Vikings...? (website posted no grade)
                24. Deonte Banks DB, Giants...C+
                25. Dalton Kincaid TE, Bills...B+
                26. Mazi Smith DT, Cowboys...B
                27. Anton Harrison OT, Jaguars...B+
                28. Myles Murphy Edge, Bengals...C
                29. Bryce Bresee, DT, Saints...B
                30. Nolan Smith Edge, Eagles...C
                31. Felix Anudike-Uzomah Edge, Chiefs...C-

The 2023 first-round rookie class had some stars and other players who were seeing stars after stepping into the NFL

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

I don't know what to think about that.
                  3 with a A in the first 5
                  Next 12, only 1 !

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

I know MH2 is a really good prospect. Buuuuut, do you think he is getting the nudge ahead of Nabers and Odunze because of his name? I say this because I personally like Odunze just as much or better. Especially value wise, when you can trade back and still get him at 8 or 9.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

If the Chargers drop from 5 to 8 and have at least the 40 in exchange, it would be like ...
                      In 2018, trade B. Chubb for Roq. Smith and C. Sutton or
                      In 2001, trade L. Tomlinson for D. Terrell and K. Lucas
                      I'm O.K. with the 2018 one but not the other.
                      Someone remembers the Chargers 3rd round pick in 2001 ?

Comment

• Floyal Rush
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                        If the Chargers drop from 5 to 8 and have at least the 40 in exchange, it would be like ...
                        In 2018, trade B. Chubb for Roq. Smith and C. Sutton or
                        In 2001, trade L. Tomlinson for D. Terrell and K. Lucas
                        I'm O.K. with the 2018 one but not the other.
                        Someone remembers the Chargers 3rd round pick in 2001 ?
                        I think that year was Tay Cody. One of those few far back drafts I can remember because of LT.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                          I know MH2 is a really good prospect. Buuuuut, do you think he is getting the nudge ahead of Nabers and Odunze because of his name? I say this because I personally like Odunze just as much or better. Especially value wise, when you can trade back and still get him at 8 or 9.
                          I don’t think so but the question is valid - I’m watching tape of each of them and I can’t decide which one definitely falls to 3. Some days I love Nabers, others I love Odunze. I still think MH2 is above the other two but man scouting is hard! If it were easy, that 2023 list just posted would have a lot more A’s, right? These are the pros in the business spending months scouring tape, reports, workouts, medical reports, etc etc … and even they have a shit batting average.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X