• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electricgold
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Here is some tape on RB Braelon Allen! He's 6'2 245 with 4.40 speed! Looks like the kind of RB Jim Harbaugh may like!!?

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      A Koolaid vs Bowers debate still raging? I got the tiebreaker...his name is Justin Herbert. No more dickin' around...you nail the coach, and you field the players, as aggressively as possible, to launch this offense...we will score more points, win more games, we will gain more fans, these players will regain some swagger...and Herbert will evolve in positive fashion, vs stagnating, as he has been.

I would much rather we struggle on defense, than watch Herbert suffer another year of offensive futility...so in most any draft debate? Im gonna side with the offensive prospect.
      It would be hard for me to watch us struggle on defense one more year. How many games over Herbert's career have we watched the offense score (and take the lead) in the last 2 or 3 minutes... only to watch the defense give it right back up...? And that's not even counting the Raiders/Vikings games where the other team choked up the ball in waning seconds...

In fact just this last year, most of our losses have come from allowing the other team score in the last minutes... or the other team sack Herbert in the last minute of the game...? Our problems have been our poor pass defense and our inability to protect Herbert. Those have nothing to do with offensive weapons for Herbert. We've had the weapons for him. In fact, Herbert's best (most efficient) year came during his rookie season (5,000+ yards, 38 TD's, 15 ints). Jared Cook was his TE. In 2021, we also ran the ball @4.3 ypc. in 2022 and 2023, we ran the ball @3.8 ypc.

If you want to ease Herbert's suffering, protect him better and run the ball better. And don't waste every Herculean attempt with game-losing, putrid pass defense.

OLineCentric

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

If Alt at ROT was a given then he's in play.
        at his size, the position switch can be a disaster, he's not the athlete Sewell is, which is what helped him make the switch.

Maybe Alt can show in senior bowl and combine.
        I doubt he's enthusiastic about learning a position that typically pays less.

And Lathem left a sour taste after Bamas last play vs Michigan.
        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          at his size, the position switch can be a disaster, he's not the athlete Sewell is, which is what helped him make the switch.

True.
          Alt's long powerful arms solve everything, even run blocking.
          Packers Elgin Jenkins can play all five OL positions with his similar tools.

Alt = high floor/high ceiling.
          Bowers = moderate floor (injury)/ very high ceiling.

We draft @ ~ #6.
          I am not here to kiss any draftniks ass.
          Can y'all handle the truth ?
          This is a judgement call.

I want a clean prospect drafting this high. Value is in play.

I have been mocking since the days of Leon Burns, Tommy Prothro, Joel Buchsbaum and Duke Peasley.

Before the days of The Machine.
          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            We have Slater.
            We also have Pipkins.
            And a round one guard who looks like Johnny Troutman.
            And no Center.
            And a tub of goo Guard who should be a Swing Tackle.

We cannot run the damn football. At all. STILL. No LT in this draft.

Shame on you Nutty.
            At the top of this draft sit two ten year day one starting offensive tackles.

Has anyone around here looked at Joe Alt video ?
            I didn't think so.
            Very long very powerful arms.
            That is the start to an impressive tool set.
            Put him at ORT.
            Draft a Guard too.
            Draft/UFA Center.

Then do your jock sniffing routine while having fun fixating on midrounder highlights.

You know this is the answer.
            But medicine does not taste like Nutella does it ?

Shame on me...?!
            I was the only TPB member screaming "replace Pipkins"
            Everyone else was celebrating his re-sign and raving about Duke Manyweather's Magic Wand.
            Now we lay in the bed we made for ourselves... and blame Ol' Nutty.
            Shame on you, Woody.

I warned everyone for years about the OT and center positions. I am Trencher-4-Life.
            My 2nd round pick is reserved for our starting center... while everyone else is fawning over CB's that have no man-skills.
            My new crusade started 2 drafts ago... only after Slater and Linsley were drafted/signed. Even now, TPB is satisfied with the #30 pass defense.
            I took a lot of heat over Orlando Brown Jr. and Christian Darri-soft. Frank Ragnow sends his regards...

After trimming the fat, Nutty likes D'Andre Swift as an Ekeler replacement and wonders where the Dalton Schultz love went...
            Certain positions/players can be had more cheaply than others. Drafting premium positions in the 1st round offers solid ROI and keeps the cap clean... I think Confucius said that once upon a time.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
              Here is some tape on RB Braelon Allen! He's 6'2 245 with 4.40 speed! Looks like the kind of RB Jim Harbaugh may like!!?
              If they were to draft B. Allen, bring in Scott Peters as Oline coach and an assistant Oline coach of his choice, this run game would instantly improve. I truly believe this Oline will be good with a better HC and Oline coaches. I would be ok going into the season with B. Allen and Spiller as the top 2 RBs.

RB Keilan Robinson is my sleeper pick of this draft. He will be there in the 7th. Explosive!!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Mike Williams had a broken neck in college, Bowers sprained his ankle and recovered in 2 weeks, you can't be serious in eqating the two?
                Bowers wasnt 100% in his last game. He played in 10 of 13 games. He had a high ankle sprain and had the tightrope surgery to heal faster.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  Mike Williams has injury concerns due to his acrobatic way of making catches. He goes all out and sprawls to the ground in vulnerable positions, agreed ?

My point about Bowers is this. He bangs around a lot, with a physical style and lots of yardage after violent contact. He is very big and very fast. Injury must be a consideration. That is my personal observation.

What do you all think...risk/reward ?
                  I loved Hunter Henry when he was here. Big, fast, got open, great hands. And defenses attacked his thighs to tackle him. Repeatedly. And it took a toll with injuries and less explosive legs. Yes, injuries and durability are always a concern.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

There are very good arguements for OT. Protect JH, kick off the run game, dominate los, championship depth...

But another important thing to consider, is that a Blue Chip OT is a huge COMMODITY in this league...so much value.

You keep and pay both Slater and new guy?...potential hall of fame oline next 6-10 years...

Time to pay Slater, but need the resources elsewhere? Got another LT in the chute...as leverage, and as fallback, if you need to let Slater go. You get cheaper, get a good comp pick, and still have a starting LT ready to go.

Or play new guy at RT a couple years, then trade for multiple picks to LT needy team...

OT is a pick that not only provides oline performance impact now, as well as quality OT depth, but from a Roster building standpoint, increases the overall value, or "overhead" of this team...this type of pick is how real teams should build their rosters...

Im in love with some playmakers at the top of this draft...but I am too smart of a fan to be crushed, if the pick is Joe Alt.
                    Sign a FA OC, draft Beebe and slide Salyer out to RT. Draft another OT later, trade Pipkins as Beebe has flexibility, or he stays one more year. McFadden showed well last week...maybe i was wrong and they DO try Zion at OC. Cant fix everything in the draft. Hec maybe a better OL coach alone will help? We have trouble running inside...cant at all. An OT would be cool but maybe Salyer is better at RT because he was better at LT last season than he is at RG.

The DL is in OK shape and has potentual with the young guys but yes we will need a Edge rusher.. I think ....well, this staff anyway really likes Nick Williams but he is 33. We are getting a look at Matlock, Fox will be back next season? And we have Otito Ogbonnia, and sure id like to add Kris Jenkins if possible. But the kids have shown pretty decent in limited play.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Latham lost some money on that last play getting bull rushed by a guy 100 pounds lighter than him.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Id bet the farm that Allen does not run a 4.4

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Sign a FA OC, draft Beebe and slide Salyer out to RT. Draft another OT later, trade Pipkins as Beebe has flexibility, or he stays one more year. McFadden showed well last week...maybe i was wrong and they DO try Zion at OC. Cant fix everything in the draft. Hec maybe a better OL coach alone will help? We have trouble running inside...cant at all. An OT would be cool but maybe Salyer is better at RT because he was better at LT last season than he is at RG.

I do think the DL is in better shape than the OL, potentually anyways a but yes we will need a Edge rusher.. I think ....well, this staff anyway really likes Nick Williams but he is 33. We are getting a look at Matlock, Fox will be back next season? And we have Otito Ogbonnia, and sure id like to add Kris Jenkins if possible. But the kids have shown pretty decent in limited play.
                          Nobody is trading for Pipkins with those guaranteed dollars unless the Chargers pay half his salary.

And yes, this rebuild is a two draft process for sure. Coaching staff as well - they need to be very good.

Comment

Working...
                          X