Clear All
  • AFboltfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2018
    • Balboa Park bench
    • Medical Simulation
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Bowers may end up being as good as those guys... but none of them was drafted @#6. They all belonged to teams that had rosters that were solid and well-rounded. I think it's crazy that Bowers and MHJ are being ranked so closely together. MHJ is the far superior player. An argument could even be made that Odunze and Nabers could mean more to an offense than Bowers. Have you ever watched a Keon Coleman highlight reel...? Can Bowers do any of those things as well...?

Watching Kool-Aid highlight clips is boring... people mostly stay away from him. That says a lot. I start with highlight tapes (looking for potential) and then look further to condensed game tape... to see what a player does every play. I think it's important to see how consistent Kool-Aid's fundamentals and technique are... even when he's not targeted. I like to see how the rest of the defense plays in response to Kool-Aid's play. Georgia's stacked offense ultimately sputtered against Alabama's defense. I'm waiting for a condensed game tape (as I didn't watch the live game). But I suspect it shows what I've been seeing when watching all of the other Alabama tape... people stay away from the Kool-Aid. Jim Harbaugh certainly did several weeks later. Anybody believe in Jim Harbaugh...?
    I was specifically watching for that during the game and he sure did. You could say Surtain II was better in college and was taken at #9, if we compare Kool Aid to "arguably" the best CB in the AFCW then #9 seems accurate for Kool Aid as well. Maybe....?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Bowers may end up being as good as those guys... but none of them was drafted @#6. They all belonged to teams that had rosters that were solid and well-rounded. I think it's crazy that Bowers and MHJ are being ranked so closely together. MHJ is the far superior player. An argument could even be made that Odunze and Nabers could mean more to an offense than Bowers. Have you ever watched a Keon Coleman highlight reel...? Can Bowers do any of those things as well...?

Watching Kool-Aid highlight clips is boring... people mostly stay away from him. That says a lot. I start with highlight tapes (looking for potential) and then look further to condensed game tape... to see what a player does every play. I think it's important to see how consistent Kool-Aid's fundamentals and technique are... even when he's not targeted. I like to see how the rest of the defense plays in response to Kool-Aid's play. Georgia's stacked offense ultimately sputtered against Alabama's defense. I'm waiting for a condensed game tape (as I didn't watch the live game). But I suspect it shows what I've been seeing when watching all of the other Alabama tape... people stay away from the Kool-Aid. Jim Harbaugh certainly did several weeks later. Anybody believe in Jim Harbaugh...?
      Why are you comparing Bowers to Coleman?

Lets just stop with the TEs dont work out in the first round. You know thats bullshit as well as i do. Just because some didnt pan out dont mean none will and you know some have. Just like every possition.

There have been plenty that were good from the first round and some playing today that are good. Kincaid is going to be a stud and Hockenson is flourishing since the day he left Detroit for whatever reason. Pitts will be better when they decide to use him more and had over 1k yards as a rookie. Arthur Smiths Offense not using him like they should.

Tony Gonzales (13th overall), ...who never gets mentioned for some reason is the best TE ever imo,... then i like Gates. But it really isnt that close.

Gates was only a UDFA because he didnt even play football in college or he likely wouldnt have been a Charger.

There are first round busts in the first round at every possition. So you want a CB, thats cool. We need one or two. We need an Edge we are gonna need, i dont see you pushing for those guys and there are some good ones.

Kool Aid is a good prospect, id like to have him but there are a few id pick over him and TE is going to be a huge need and Bowers is tops in a weak class. Dont know how many times i have to say that. A weak class! CB is not a weak class. Just like you used to say about the WRs last year or was it the year before? You said we can get one later, this class is loaded.

And if you didnt watch the live game and havent seen your condensed version then how do you know Harbaugh stayed away from Kool Aid? Roman Wilson and Samaj Morgon both had 4 receptions which led the team. Cornelius had 2. Im sure they threw his way but i didnt keep score of how many times they did.

Ill also add...since you used PFF grades recently for your argument.....ill still note, im not a fan but they have Kool Aid rated as the 11th best CB for the 2023 season and is ranked 13th overall.. Their #1 rated CB is Quinyon Mitchell and 40th overall. Yes he dont play in the SEC but PFF is who you used to argue. Terrion Arnold is rated the 12th CB and 20th overall.

Their third rated CB Sabashian Castro yet he is ranked the 197th CB So PFF imo is a bad measure. They just do screwy things.

I dont know where NFL draftbuzz gets their 40 times and ill will wait til the combine myself but they have KoolAid as a 4.55
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-05-2024, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Why are you comparing Bowers to Coleman?

Lets just stop with the TEs dont work out in the first round. You know thats bullshit as well as i do. Just because some didnt pan out dont mean none will and you know some have. Just like every possition.

There have been plenty that were good from the first round and some playing today that are good. Kincaid is going to be a stud and Hockenson is flourishing since the day he left Detroit for whatever reason. Pitts will be better when they decide to use him more and had over 1k yards as a rookie. Arthur Smiths Offense not using him like they should.
        Tony Gonzales, ...who never gets mentioned for some reason is the best TE ever imo,... then i like Gates. But it really isnt that close.

Gates was only a UDFA because he didnt even play football in college or he likely wouldnt have been a Charger.

There are first round busts in the first round at every possition. So you want a CB, thats cool. We need one or two. We need an Edge we are gonna need, i dont see you pushing for those guys and there are some good ones.

Kool Aid is a good prospect, id like to have him but there are a few id pick over him and TE is going to be a huge need and Bowers is tops in a weak class. Dont know how many times i have to say that. A weak class! CB is not a weak class. Just like you used to say about the WRs last year or was it the year before? You said we can get one later, this class is loaded.

And if you didnt watch the live game and havent seen your condensed version then how do you know Harbaugh stayed away from Kool Aid? Roman Wilson and Samaj Morgon both had 4 receptions which led the team. Cornelius had 2. Im sure they threw his way but i didnt keep score of how many times they did.

Ill also add...since you used PFF grades recently for your argument.....ill still note, im not a fan but they have Kool Aid rated as the 11th best CB for the 2023 season and is 13th overall.. Their #1 is Quinyon Mitchell. Arnold is rated 12th.
        Their third rated is Iowa CB Sabashina Castro yet he is ranked the 197th CB So PFF imo is a bad measure.

My Coleman v Bowers comparison was in response to another poster. He stated that Bowers was WR-flexible. So I listed several WR's that have considerably more WR qualities than Bowers. I don't think Coleman will go before Bowers... but Bowers certainly doesn't offer what Coleman does (receiver-wise).

I've stated many times that Latu would be my next in line after Kool-Aid. I would choose Latu over Bowers. And I have consistently mock drafted edge players in the 2nd (Bralen Trice) or 3rd (Jasheen Davis and Ashton Guilotte). I like Dallas Turner better than most here, too. Would I put Dallas Turner over Bowers...? Probably not. But he would certainly be a player to consider in a trade-back scenario.

I did watch the Alabama v Michigan game live. That's how I know Harbaugh specifically stayed away from the Kool-Aid. The game I missed was Alabama vs Georgia. The only thing I've seen from that game (Tide v Dawgs) is that the prolific Georgia offense ground to a halt... that Bowers only had 5 catches for 53 yards, 0 TD's. I have my suspicions (Tide went lock down and eliminated one side of the field). But I'd like to see the whole game... before I declare anything.

I know you hate PFF. That's fine... I've never claimed they know everything. But in some cases, I put more merit into them vs. a Pro Bowl popularity contest. At least they watch every player, every game. And I'm not surprised PFF has no accurate grade on McKinstry... people rarely test him. Whereas, I'm looking for specific traits (length/technique/hip fluidity). I doubt PFF is grading players based on traits... but GM's do.

OLineCentric

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

My Coleman v Bowers comparison was in response to another poster. He stated that Bowers was WR-flexible. So I listed several WR's that have considerably more WR qualities than Bowers. I don't think Coleman will go before Bowers... but Bowers certainly doesn't offer what Coleman does (receiver-wise).

I've stated many times that Latu would be my next in line after Kool-Aid. I would choose Latu over Bowers. And I have consistently mock drafted edge players in the 2nd (Bralen Trice) or 3rd (Jasheen Davis and Ashton Guilotte). I like Dallas Turner better than most here, too. Would I put Dallas Turner over Bowers...? Probably not. But he would certainly be a player to consider in a trade-back scenario.

I did watch the Alabama v Michigan game live. That's how I know Harbaugh specifically stayed away from the Kool-Aid. The game I missed was Alabama vs Georgia. The only thing I've seen from that game (Tide v Dawgs) is that the prolific Georgia offense ground to a halt... that Bowers only had 5 catches for 53 yards, 0 TD's. I have my suspicions (Tide went lock down and eliminated one side of the field). But I'd like to see the whole game... before I declare anything.

I know you hate PFF. That's fine... I've never claimed they know everything. But in some cases, I put more merit into them vs. a Pro Bowl popularity contest. At least they watch every player, every game. And I'm not surprised PFF has no accurate grade on McKinstry... people rarely test him. Whereas, I'm looking for specific traits (length/technique/hip fluidity). I doubt PFF is grading players based on traits... but GM's do.
          PFF 's draft big board based on who they think the best players are has Brock Bowers at 6, Kool-Aid at 13, Latu at 18, Coleman at 41

Bowers is in most big boards TOP 5 players in this draft. Bowers not your average TE. he is an impact player...a game changer. He has great hands, can get downfield, is hard to cover and is good at YAC. He is also a good blocker which would help the Chargers run game and help protect Herbert.

I have said all along 6th is a reach for Kool-Aid.

I want the unicorn TE talent to pair with Herbert over a good CB who is not even the consensus top CB on every draft board.

Ask your self this question honestly. During the KC Chiefs 8 straight division titles, who has contributed more to their success? Travis Kelce or the selection of CBs that have played there over the past 8 seasons?

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

I was specifically watching for that during the game and he sure did. You could say Surtain II was better in college and was taken at #9, if we compare Kool Aid to "arguably" the best CB in the AFCW then #9 seems accurate for Kool Aid as well. Maybe....?
            I'm not so concerned about a prospect's draft slot. I'm more concerned with what a specific prospect brings to a specific team.
            Certainly Bowers would bring a lot to the Chargers' offense.
            Is that more than what McKinstry would bring to the Chargers' defense...?
            OLineCentric

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If Bowers truly is the generational talent he is purported to be and has shown in college, you draft him at our spot. No questions asked. It overrules other needs, what other drafted players at his position have done, who you could also take at the spot, you name it. You take a player like that who only comes along once in a lifetime precisely because he comes along only once in a lifetime. Consider not drafting Herbert, Winslow, Seau, Tomlinson... you will kick yourself their entire career.

Position wise, a great tight end helps in stressed passing situations either as a blocker or safety valve, opens things up for the WRs and makes them look better than they are, and contributes to the running game. It is a very important position and growing more important each season

If the Chargers draft Bower at whatever their first round position ends up being, that is a home run.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

I'm not so concerned about a prospect's draft slot. I'm more concerned with what a specific prospect brings to a specific team.
                Yes, Bowers would help more than Kool-Aid in my opinion

The Chargers need to really rebuild the defense. The offense needs helps too but I htink they are closer than the defense. Bowers is a game changer at TE. They need a game changer. Kool-Aid is probably a very good prospect but the defense needs to be built front to back. Bosa is gone, Mack is probabl back but who knows, they need new DLine, LBs.... A lot of work to do

And this is selfish as its about the team - but Justin Herbert deserves a bleeping play maker. Allen is a very good receiver - but the days of him being a playmaker are over. Williams was never one. Ekeler got fantasy points but not a play maker with the ball in his hands.

Bowers or bust!

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Absolutely yes!

A Bowers level TE comes along once every few years. There are good CBs at Kool-Aids level in every single draft. Faster ones too.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    If Bowers truly is the generational talent he is purported to be and has shown in college, you draft him at our spot. No questions asked. It overrules other needs, what other drafted players at his position have done, who you could also take at the spot, you name it. You take a player like that who only comes along once in a lifetime precisely because he comes along only once in a lifetime. Consider not drafting Herbert, Winslow, Seau, Tomlinson... you will kick yourself their entire career.

Position wise, a great tight end helps in stressed passing situations either as a blocker or safety valve, opens things up for the WRs and makes them look better than they are, and contributes to the running game. It is a very important position and growing more important each season

If the Chargers draft Bower at whatever their first round position ends up being, that is a home run.

TG
                    100%

Bowers and Herbert could be lethal for years. And its not like the Chargers don't have a major need at TE. Everett has had an average career, at best, and none of them can even block.

Not sure why after a history of studs like Winslow and Gates, any Charger fan would not be all over this. Could be real fun to watch.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Absolutely yes!

A Bowers level TE comes along once every few years. There are good CBs at Kool-Aids level in every single draft. Faster ones too.
                      Plus I think if you have a stronger Front 7, more consistent pass rush, that helps the DBs. So if the Chargers go defense in R1 - I would hope its for Front 7 over DB - all things equal, talent, etc. But the Chargers need to build a Fron t7. I cannot recall the last time they had a really good front 7

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

100%

Bowers and Herbert could be lethal for years. And its not like the Chargers don't have a major need at TE. Everett has had an average career, at best, and none of them can even block.

Not sure why after a history of studs like Winslow and Gates, any Charger fan would not be all over this. Could be real fun to watch.
                        I see people thinking Parham back is a given. For me, Parham being released is a given (can't stay healthy, can't block, drops too many passes)

Everett is really good with the ball --but had some drops this year too. But he is not the answer for the future thats for sure

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Yes, Bowers would help more than Kool-Aid in my opinion

The Chargers need to really rebuild the defense. The offense needs helps too but I htink they are closer than the defense. Bowers is a game changer at TE. They need a game changer. Kool-Aid is probably a very good prospect but the defense needs to be built front to back. Bosa is gone, Mack is probabl back but who knows, they need new DLine, LBs.... A lot of work to do

And this is selfish as its about the team - but Justin Herbert deserves a bleeping play maker. Allen is a very good receiver - but the days of him being a playmaker are over. Williams was never one. Ekeler got fantasy points but not a play maker with the ball in his hands.

Bowers or bust!
                          I understand your point.

Next year is a retooling year before the cap looks a lot better in 2025. You are not going to fix this team all at once, even if you are Jim Harbaugh. The defense needs a lot of work as you say, and adding Kool -Aid isn't going to come close to fixing it all.

But you add Bowers, give Herbert better protection and coaching, keep Allen, get a RB that can run between the tackles and this offense could win them games and keep them in the wild card race while re-tooling.

What is the point have having a 262 million stud QB with a cannon if you don't give him any serious playmakers?

Comment

Working...
                          X