• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree. Ive looked over the TEs but reality is after Bowers the TE class is weak and TE is a BIG need whether you want to admit it or not. Its not desperate, its just he is a stud. If Kincaid was on your top list last year, then IMO Bowers is better. Stover i agree has some good potentual but he is raw and likely not a NFL starting TE year one....unless he progresses quickly. But he isnt the offensive weapon like Bowers. Sinnott is a decent blocking TE but a devlopment player as well.

Im a no go on Bell at TE for us. Washington was never my darling. He was a PASS for me where most wanted to draft him which was round 1
    He ended up going 4th round, is 3rd string at Pittsburgh and has 5 receptions.

Just think we would be nuts to pass on Bowers. We arent going t win any shootouts with Everett types and surely not Parham....and we will be in some shootouts unless we dont upgrade some possitions on O.

CB class much better than TE class.
    I agree... this TE class kinda weak.
    Kincaid was not on top of my list last year. CB was on my list... even with JCJ coming back off injury. I was in the minority last year.
    I think everybody believed that Kincaid would transform an offense. But the Bills offense is worse this year in nearly every offensive area.
    So, I'm not buying that narrative... especially considering our roster. KA is JH's focal point. He will get the targets. He's always open.
    On top of that, Joshua Palmer is a sneaky good WR... who IMO doesn't get enough looks (see comments about KA and JH).
    And then you have Quentin Johnston... IMO, he was a developmental pick with physical traits. I saw him as a 2nd round WR.
    Are we simply giving up on him...? Do we really believe that he is only a #5 target (behind KA, JP, 1st round TE, and probably a RB)...?

I'm still on the hunt for a shut-down CB. I think Kool-Aid is that. College coaches thought that... they rarely threw his way. Nick Saban thought that as well... as he left McKinstry on an island and thought he could lock-down the whole right side of the field. Do I thinkl he's as good as Surtain or Sauce Gardner...? Probably not. But is he good enough to allow a DC to use him 1v1 against most NFL receivers...? Yeah. And that is valuable to a defense. It allows others around him to play to their strengths... and not just the other CB's. LB's and safeties that had cover zones of the field that they no longer have to cover.

Stover and Sinnott I think can be had in the 4th round... that's where the value is @TE. The 1st thru 3rd rounds have value @positions we desperately need. IMO, more desperately than TE. CB, center, and EDGE (replace JB or KM). RB is a huge need, too. Luckily, I think this draft is pretty deep @RB. The IDL will need a starting-quality player, too. Both SDJ and Austin Johnson are/will be gone.

I highlighted the last sentence... It should read, "Unless we upgrade some positions on D... we will be in a lot of shootouts..."
    OLineCentric

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

personally suspect Bowers, Nabers, and maybe even Fuaga are all off the board before we select @8, and.... our cluster might look like this:

Jer'Zhan, Kool Aid, Rome Odunze, Latu, Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Bralen Trice

if we trade down, am gonna guess that we'd still have a shot @Jer'Zhan, McKinstry, Verse or Trice.... a trade down does look enticing @times.

personally would take Jer'Zhan in that situation....

ps. would be looking for a next year's No. 1 in return, and as would surmise that we might need the ammo for a Keenan sequel.... ??

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

42” vertical? We need to look into this guy. LOL.
        Yep, but he comes with being bipolar, a schizophrenic.....and a long list of crimes. Other than that, his RAS score is off the charts.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Getting rid of Staley made the Chargers D average or better That's a lock.
          Over complicated scheme and inexplicable play calling gone? We're better.
          Ja'Sir Taylor and Deanne Leonard are over-matched by WR's 2 and 3. ASJ is a #2 CB. He doesn't have 1v1 skills most good defenses have. If we settle on a 2nd round CB... we are forcing ourselves to play zone. We know what that looks like. Most likely we lose our best pass rusher (cap). I liked Henley's drafting... but he is un-proven. We have 1 proven IDL coming off injury (Tito) and very thin @IDL. Kendricks is good vs the run... but Father Time has made a liability vs the pass. FA Gilman is up/down... JT Woods can't get on the field. We are horrific on defense, with or without Staley. And it will only get worse next year unless we address the many needs on defense.

The 2nd-tier CB's people are suggesting do not have the cover skills (watch the footwork and hips) that better-than-average NFL defenses need/have. Name the last 1st round TE that made it to his 2nd contract... or made the whole offense better...
          OLineCentric

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yep, but he comes with being bipolar, a schizophrenic.....and a long list of crimes. Other than that, his RAS score is off the charts.
            Shit, he’ll kill us when he plays for the Chiefs.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

42” vertical? We need to look into this guy. LOL.
              Merriman has a good sense of humor, I like him.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Ja'Sir Taylor and Deanne Leonard are over-matched by WR's 2 and 3. ASJ is a #2 CB. He doesn't have 1v1 skills most good defenses have. If we settle on a 2nd round CB... we are forcing ourselves to play zone. We know what that looks like. Most likely we lose our best pass rusher (cap). I liked Henley's drafting... but he is un-proven. We have 1 proven IDL coming off injury (Tito) and very thin @IDL. Kendricks is good vs the run... but Father Time has made a liability vs the pass. FA Gilman is up/down... JT Woods can't get on the field. We are horrific on defense, with or without Staley. And it will only get worse next year unless we address the many needs on defense.

The 2nd-tier CB's people are suggesting do not have the cover skills (watch the footwork and hips) that better-than-average NFL defenses need/have. Name the last 1st round TE that made it to his 2nd contract... or made the whole offense better...
                I’m good with zone CBs as long as they are solid tacklers. Put the money into pass rushers. You don’t get everything you want with a salary cap.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No one has great CB's really anymore, KC definitely doesn't and they just won the division again, sure there is the great CB here and there but it's a passing league now and the game has evolved as such that you have to be able to put up 30 these days to really win games.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

No one has great CB's really anymore, KC definitely doesn't and they just won the division again, sure there is the great CB here and there but it's a passing league now and the game has evolved as such that you have to be able to put up 30 these days to really win games.
                    KC definitely does have great CB's. Trent McDuffie has a PFF score of 82.9 and L'Jarius Snead has a score of 71.1. McDuffie was my 1st round choice in 2022... before we blew millions on JCJ. I know no one puts merit in PFF (unless it fits their needs). But in this case, a neutral evaluation is needed. I see Trent McDuffie as a great CB. Some will make the case that Snead was only a 4th round pick. But he was only average before McDuffie was drafted (64.1 in 2021). And this is what I'm talking about... if you get a shut down CB, all of your other CB's will improve because they are now allowed to do other things and no longer asked to cover guys they just can't cover.

Improve the OL blocking... and we will be scoring 30 points per game. We were scoring 28 points per game 2 years ago with Jared Cook @TE. Of course, we were also running the ball @4.3 ypc instead of 3.8 ypc.

OLineCentric

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Merriman has a good sense of humor, I like him.
                      Agree. Seems like a really good dude

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

I’m good with zone CBs as long as they are solid tacklers. Put the money into pass rushers. You don’t get everything you want with a salary cap.

How many Third Down stops are fails because of our DB tackling and lack of inside pressure ?

A shutdown CB can take away the #1 weapon, yes, and make the field smaller for others in coverage.

However, a lot of the damage is done by ancillary weapons, as QBs look for mismatches.

Every year, at an exponential rate, quality weapons are drafted.

What to do ?
                        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

I would be fine with trading back and grabbing Newton as long as we have a competent GM

Comment

Working...
                          X