Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Still pretending we are going to play some defense in the 2024 NFL ?

Our best hope is ball control and clock management at the end of the Half and 4th Quarter.

This will be an historic OT draft.
    Yup. I have seen mocks with 8 - 10 OT's going in round 1. GM's and fan bases like the BEEF!!!!

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      dynamic three down difference maker.... no way do I pass on this guy if he is there top o' the second.... thank god he takes some plays off/cruzes sometimes.... not many legit NTs make it into the second round.

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/12/t...man-avalanche/
      I like his short area quickness and foot work.

It took the Ravens 3 years to develop Justin Madubuike .... or he being in an environment to drive himself, persistently working on footwork and things.

I can see Sweat just not developing on some teams.
      If Chargers were bringing back Staley, he would be on the do not draft - early 3rd list.
      Staley would break him down, teach him how to play DT the right way ...... give him all these things to think about.

Chargers haven't had anyone consistently disruptive on the inside since that one year with a healthy Antonio Garay.
      I suppose you can add in a healthy Luis Castillo.

They had a top defense in 2010 ... never with Bosa, Ingram and Hayward.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, if you want a TE that can catch and run block... Stover is a good choice. So is Ben Sinnott. You can probably get them in the 4th round. If you could get either one by early 5th... you've got a deal.

If you're looking for a TE that is more receiver... then Jaheim Bell. Late 3rd or early 4th...?
        Brevynn Spann-Ford is this year's big bodied TE (6-7, 275). Unlike last year's darling (Darnel Washington) he can actual run and catch... 5th/6th round value.

With KA (probable extention), Joshua Palmer, and QJ (you have to develop him sometime)... I'm just not desperate to draft a TE (certainly not 1st round). We have waaaay bigger needs.
        Agree. Ive looked over the TEs but reality is after Bowers the TE class is weak and TE is a BIG need whether you want to admit it or not. Its not desperate, its just he is a stud. If Kincaid was on your top list last year, then IMO Bowers is better. Stover i agree has some good potentual but he is raw and likely not a NFL starting TE year one....unless he progresses quickly. But he isnt the offensive weapon like Bowers. Sinnott is a decent blocking TE but a devlopment player as well.

Im a no go on Bell at TE for us. Washington was never my darling. He was a PASS for me where most wanted to draft him which was round 1
        He ended up going 4th round, is 3rd string at Pittsburgh and has 5 receptions.

Just think we would be nuts to pass on Bowers. We arent going t win any shootouts with Everett types and surely not Parham....and we will be in some shootouts unless we dont upgrade some possitions on O.

CB class much better than TE class.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Oklahoma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          Still pretending we are going to play some defense in the 2024 NFL ?

Our best hope is ball control and clock management at the end of the Half and 4th Quarter.

This will be an historic OT draft.
          Agreed the defense will be just as bad next year if they prioritize offense the way we want them to.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

The showdown between Michigan and Washington could have an effect on the Chargers' draft. If Michael Penix Jr. plays a great game against Michigan, his draft stock is going to rise. Caleb Williams and Drake Maye will still be the first two QBs drafted and probably will go in the top 5. But Penix may rise to a top 10, pick if he has a good game Monday. At team such as Pitt, NO, Minn, even the Raiders or the Broncos may want to trade up to grab him. The Chargers will be picking between 6-8, in prime position to grab Penix, or maybe even LSU QB Jayden Daniels. It may be an opportunity for the Chargers to trade down and acquire more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, which is what I think would be best for the Bolts in this draft.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Agreed the defense will be just as bad next year if they prioritize offense the way we want them to.
              Getting rid of Staley made the Chargers D average or better That's a lock.
              Over complicated scheme and inexplicable play calling gone? We're better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                The showdown between Michigan and Washington could have an effect on the Chargers' draft. If Michael Penix Jr. plays a great game against Michigan, his draft stock is going to rise. Caleb Williams and Drake Maye will still be the first two QBs drafted and probably will go in the top 5. But Penix may rise to a top 10, pick if he has a good game Monday. At team such as Pitt, NO, Minn, even the Raiders or the Broncos may want to trade up to grab him. The Chargers will be picking between 6-8, in prime position to grab Penix, or maybe even LSU QB Jayden Daniels. It may be an opportunity for the Chargers to trade down and acquire more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, which is what I think would be best for the Bolts in this draft.
                Depends on the offer. but I'd consider it. They'd have to overpay to a large extent to get me to walk away from a generational talent at TE.

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

You're the 3rd member @TPB to tout Tampa... so I took some time to watch a whole game of his (vs Oklahoma). It's only 1 game... small sample, so...

What I noticed about TJ Tampa is he plays off the LOS a lot. I don't know if it is scheme... or situation... or lack of speed. But I'd look into that and his combine 40 should tell us whether it is about lack of speed. I didn't see anything about his technique that wowed me. In fact, I saw he got his footwork wrong a couple times and got turned in the wrong direction. I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade vs Ja'Sir or Leonard. He's raw (a basketball player turned football player)... so maybe there is development potential in him. I'm just looking for something better that TJ Tampa for this #30 pass defense. Sorry, but pass... pun intended.
                  I think most people looking at this draft probably regard TJ Tampa's potential and talent higher than JaSir and Leonard! TJ has size and length and I'm seeing new mocks where he's being drafted in the 2nd round! Cam Hart is another DB also with size who possibly could be had later in the draft that could have good potential! Everything will be resolved ultimately after the combine when we see the numbers...

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Getting rid of Staley made the Chargers D average or better That's a lock.
                    Over complicated scheme and inexplicable play calling gone? We're better.
                    Might’ve helped the O too, though with all the injuries, hard to tell.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

42” vertical? We need to look into this guy. LOL.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Depends on the offer. but I'd consider it. They'd have to overpay to a large extent to get me to walk away from a generational talent at TE.
                        Agree. It would have to be a big overpay. There is no guarantee a 2nd or 3rd rounder is going to produce as much as Bowers. He would be such a huge extra weapon for Herbert.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree. It would have to be a big overpay. There is no guarantee a 2nd or 3rd rounder is going to produce as much as Bowers. He would be such a huge extra weapon for Herbert.

Pretty much for Bowers.

Open to listening but it better be just blow me away type trade. Not only an extra 2nd rounder but also another pick -like a 4th

Comment

Working...
                          X