• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
    We'll have to wait to see Kool Aid's 40 time first to determine if he's top 6 talent?! Deion Sanders the greatest CB of all time went #5!

If Kool Aid runs a 4.5 he falls drastically! Deion ran 4.27!
    And the greatest TE of all-time went undrafted...
    Tom Brady went in the 6th round...
    Mr. Irrelevent may be this year's Super Bowl MVP...

I could go on and on... The question is... which player at #6 makes your whole team a better team...?
    OLineCentric

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Michigan has Roman Wilson (probable 4th round). He spent the whole afternoon going against Terrion (a prospect who will probably be a 2nd round pick). It shows that Harbaugh knew well enough that his #1 WR wouldn't do anything against McKinstry.

Malik Nabers did nothing vs McKinstry... and unlike Harbaugh, LSU tried. All of his receiving yards came against other DB's. If Nabers is considered top-10... then McKinstry should be in that conversation, too. I don't know why Saban only plays McKinstry on the right side. I do know that he uses McKinstry in man coverage to shut down one side of the offense. There are NFL teams that do the same thing with uber-talented CB's.

As for the article you posted... the writer believes Kool-Aid is a 3rd round talent. IMO, you can throw that eval in the trash. I've watched 5 complete games (exclusively watching McKinstry) of his 2023 film... Michigan, LSU, Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee. Those are ranked teams with good WR's. He was tasked with shutting down one side of the field... and did just that. He jams guys at the line, has excellent outside technique, and has the length to bat passes away when he plays inside technique. He plays very fast... I have no idea where the "too slow" narrative comes from.

Look... I like Alt, Fashanu, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers, and Latu. But I think McKinstry belongs there, too. Watch for yourself if you don't believe me. I've had pretty good success the last few years picking CB's.
      interesting.....i like those players too.... I believe we will have multiple elite players available at picks 6-8..... so staying where we are at will give us a much needed impact player..... deciding which one is important but obviously, Chargers have several major needs so BPA will be the best choice....

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

I could go on and on... The question is... which player at #6 makes your whole team a better team...?
        is there a two-way player out there that I'm not aware of?
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Gee, I like the idea of a shut-down CB.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

A CB is gonna do that?
            I think Harbaugh will do that.

Then you get better players.
            As you say, it's a passing league and we will have nothing at TE except Smartt. But yes, we need a lot. Not saying we don't.
            Just saying Bowers would ALSO be a good pick.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Michigan has Roman Wilson (probable 4th round). He spent the whole afternoon going against Terrion (a prospect who will probably be a 2nd round pick). It shows that Harbaugh knew well enough that his #1 WR wouldn't do anything against McKinstry.

Malik Nabers did nothing vs McKinstry... and unlike Harbaugh, LSU tried. All of his receiving yards came against other DB's. If Nabers is considered top-10... then McKinstry should be in that conversation, too. I don't know why Saban only plays McKinstry on the right side. I do know that he uses McKinstry in man coverage to shut down one side of the offense. There are NFL teams that do the same thing with uber-talented CB's.

As for the article you posted... the writer believes Kool-Aid is a 3rd round talent. IMO, you can throw that eval in the trash. I've watched 5 complete games (exclusively watching McKinstry) of his 2023 film... Michigan, LSU, Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee. Those are ranked teams with good WR's. He was tasked with shutting down one side of the field... and did just that. He jams guys at the line, has excellent outside technique, and has the length to bat passes away when he plays inside technique. He plays very fast... I have no idea where the "too slow" narrative comes from.

Look... I like Alt, Fashanu, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers, and Latu. But I think McKinstry belongs there, too. Watch for yourself if you don't believe me. I've had pretty good success the last few years picking CB's.
              It came from an unofficial 40 time posted on here. Then I read on here that he can't tackle, yet he proved that wrong yesterday. I watch a lot of college football, but I'm not focusing on certain prospects while doing so. If someone stands out I recognize it. It's difficult with corners like Kool-Aid, since they don't get challenged. There's a reason for that. I couldn't tell you why some are trying to find reasons to not like him. He can't tackle? Yeah, OK.

Admittedly I want a pass-rusher, which is why I'm hoping for Latu or Dallas Turner. After watching Kool-Aid closer yesterday, though, I won't be disappointed at all if we pick him.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2018
                • Balboa Park bench
                • Medical Simulation
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

A CB is gonna do that?

As you say, it's a passing league and we will have nothing at TE except Smartt. But yes, we need a lot. Not saying we don't.
                I'm on the fence over Bowers Vs. Kool Aid... I'd take either and be happy honestly. Super curious which direction the new GM will go.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

A CB is gonna do that?

And if it's Bowers... so be it. He will obviously help the passing offense.

The current offense (even with Stick @QB and no KA, MW etc.) is the 10th rated team in passing yards per game.
                  The current defense is the 30th rated team in passing yards given up per game.

Last year (even w/o Keenan for half the year) the LAC were 3rd in offensive passing yards per game.
                  So where is our greatest need? How do you fix that to make your overall team better?
                  Harbaugh would be a nice start. @Michigan, it's the defense that makes that team a contender. He had a really good defense @SF too.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• charger1993
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

He is 360+ and agree he played well just isnt an every down player.

Texas WR Xavier Worthy wasnt a big factor in that game but not sure it was him or his QB? I like Worthy but he needs to be used in space, get the ball to him where he can run with it but he is small as well. Not much bigger than Tank Dell....but he is a tad.
                    yeah i couldnt remember his weight off the top of my head i just knew he was 330 plus. he definitely isnt an everydown player unless that cardio gets fixed. But for a 2nd rounder he could be a great run defender used on early downs, he was making the runs bounce outside all night, the couple times he got doubled he did lose and the a gap was open but it happens youre not gonna win every rep.

Worthy whole problem last night was washington was getting pressure while sarc had worthy either stretching the field, or running across the field, he didnt really get a chance to get the ball, ewers got pressured early and started seeing ghosts. it was either chuck it up to AD or dump it down to the TE or rb. worthy never got a shot. Even tho i dont think worthy will be special in the nfl, hes a yac wr whose small and not particularly elite. only 2 players i like from texas for us is sweat and sanders. im not saying id draft them, but i wouldnt be upset if we did.

Washington really has no players i want. we dont need a qb, i dont love rome even tho hes good he's not number 4 or 5 good, trice is inconsistent. The bpa for washington for us is their undersized qb in Mohamed

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

The current offense (even with Stick @QB and no KA, MW etc.) is the 10th rated team in passing yards per game.

Last year (even w/o Keenan for half the year) the LAC were 3rd in offensive passing yards per game.
                      So where is our greatest need? How do you fix that to make your overall team better?
                      Harbaugh would be a nice start. @Michigan, it's the defense that makes that team a contender. He had a really good defense @SF too.
                      Defense is an easy fix. Just get 2 legit CBs and one legit LB. That would improve the D to the tune of around 65%. Without the pass D failures and
                      Staley our defense would have been just fine.

Offense is very different. We have no RB, no TE and other than Allen no WRs. The O line needs fixing. Without getting Herbert some help he's not
                      going to be able to carry the offense.

I think with a franchise talented QB like Herbert you fix that offense first and foremost. That won't win SBs but it will make us legit PO contender.
                      Then work on the D.

Don't know how deep this draft is or how many blue chippers there are. But if we land in the 4, 5, or 6th spot we can get a king's ransom worth of
                      picks by trading down. Landing Harbaugh would instantly make the D better by doing very little. Unfortunately on offense lots of missing pieces.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

With Stick the offense is averaging 14.4 points a game. Defense has been better the past 2 games, even against Allen.

I understand we need defense. Id be happy with Kool Aid or Latu. And if Bowers is gone before us id certainly be in.
                        Just think he is the best pick if on the board.
                        Even if we trade down and try and get an extra 3rd, I think Tennessee takes him right after us,..... which isn't worth a 3rd to lose out.

I just hope we can get some decent picks from MW and Bosa for some extras.

And the best TE of all time was a first rounder (Gonzales)

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

It came from an unofficial 40 time posted on here. Then I read on here that he can't tackle, yet he proved that wrong yesterday. I watch a lot of college football, but I'm not focusing on certain prospects while doing so. If someone stands out I recognize it. It's difficult with corners like Kool-Aid, since they don't get challenged. There's a reason for that. I couldn't tell you why some are trying to find reasons to not like him. He can't tackle? Yeah, OK.

Admittedly I want a pass-rusher, which is why I'm hoping for Latu or Dallas Turner. After watching Kool-Aid closer yesterday, though, I won't be disappointed at all if we pick him.
                          I suspect it came from a 40-yard dash in high school. Saban threw that in the trash, too. He was the #1 CB out of high school... Saban took him. Nick Saban knows a thing-or-two about secondary players...

If you don't believe me... don't believe Saban... ask Harbaugh why he didn't throw at Kool-Aid. Then watch him pick Kool-Aid with the #6 pick.

I know why people are discounting Kool-Aid here @TPB... they like their own guy (Bowers).
                          I like Bowers, too... what's not to like...? But will he make the whole team better? IMO, not until the OL gets fixed. IMO, it won't matter how many points you score if you can't stop the other team from scoring. Look at the Eagles right now. 49ers hung 42 on them. Dallas followed up with 33. Even the God-forsaken Giants scored 25 points! Santa showed up a week late and let the Cards deliver a lump of coal on New Year's Eve... and our pass defense is worse than theirs!

OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X