2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Not endorsing using 3 straight #1’s on OL. Especially when a guy like Salyer can be found in Round 6. Scout better, draft better and coach better. OL is not a skill position and we’ve neglected that for too long.

we need playmakers. Wrestlers can be found deeper in the draft
    We got lucky with Salyer. You're not going to get OL like that in the 6th very often. Not rookies that can come in and do what Salyer did last year... not at that level.
    We have skill players... KA, MW, Ekeler.
    Time to make sure you're most valuable playmaker (Herbert) doesn't get cracked cartilage again.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

True but what are the odds he's still on the board at 21? this young man is VERY good. He should go much earlier than 21. I'm pretty much opposed to drafting a RB but if somehow, Bijan is available - get him.
      Derwin fell to us...anything is possible...
      Well, ALMOST anything...
      Last edited by Topcat; 03-09-2023, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

We got lucky with Salyer. You're not going to get OL like that in the 6th very often. Not rookies that can come in and do what Salyer did last year... not at that level.
        Time to make sure you're most valuable playmaker (Herbert) doesn't get cracked cartilage again.
        Two of those guys have big question marks concerning durability.
        Herbert having to hold onto the football because no one is open can also cause the old cartilage crack.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

He got cracked cartilage because the rookie RG missed his guy. So much for that theory. We need a dynamic playmaker or two. That’s not the guys you mentioned with rare exceptions

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Right, and when the skill players went out hurt, we had Bandy and Moore.

You know, I'm all for BPA at 21 , and in round 2 and 3, etc.

We can make an argument at nearly every position as to why a draft pick should be used there. Tranq is a FA and Murray hasn't been that good so LB is a big need.

Bosa is always hurt and Mack is 32 , Edge is a need. Without Keenan and MW our recievers lacked and we need team speed.

Ekeler said he would like somebody to share the load. RB is a need although yes I'm on the give Spiller a chance wagon.
            Kelly hasn't proved he can help carry a load, Rountree is cut material , Horvath......why do we need a FB? Did Dallas use a FB? Seriously, I don't know!

Everett is in his last year and the rest of the TEs are weak sauce. TE is a big need.

We can go on and on for what we need so sorry,....me I don't care if we resign Pip or draft a RT but I'm not sure we need a first round RT. And that first round RT isn't a sure thing to keep Herb from getting hurt.
            Was it Linsley or Zion whose guy hit Herbert in the ribs?
            Pip was pretty decent with a hurt knee. Sarell is the one who sucked ass out there.

You are a trench guy and pound form them every year and so is Formula 21 and there's nothing wrong with that but let's get some freaking playmakers on this team.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We can make an argument at nearly every position as to why a draft pick should be used there. Tranq is a FA and Murray hasn't been that good so LB is a big need.

Bosa is always hurt and Mack is 32 , Edge is a need. Without Keenan and MW our recievers lacked and we need team speed.

Ekeler said he would like somebody to share the load. RB is a need although yes I'm on the give Spiller a chance wagon.
              Kelly hasn't proved he can help carry a load, Rountree is cut material , Horvath......why do we need a FB? Did Dallas use a FB? Seriously, I don't know!

Everett is in his last year and the rest of the TEs are weak sauce. TE is a big need.

We can go on and on for what we need so sorry,....me I don't care if we resign Pip or draft a RT but I'm not sure we need a first round RT. And that first round RT isn't a sure thing to keep Herb from getting hurt.
              Pip was pretty decent with a hurt knee. Sarell is the one who sucked ass out there.

You are a trench guy and pound form them every year and so is Formula 21 and there's nothing wrong with that but let's get some freaking playmakers on this team.
              Pretty sure was delayed blitz straight up the middle and Clapp doesn’t have the foot speed to adjust, at least chip him. Zion had some holds & false starts but overall good grade (didn’t vet using PFF). Another starting tackle with some sand in his pants and mean streak to finish plays, would make biggest difference for Herbert, doesn’t do any good to draft another WR if he can’t see him open up because he’s on his back.

What Telesco teams lack, are not playmakers it’s quality depth. You achieve this by hitting on draft picks after 1st round blue chips.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well said...

Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  JH3 and Me
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree with the need for the best depth at OT as possible. The market is interesting with Orlando Brown, McGlinchey, McGary (Falcons guy), Jawaan Taylor - all OTsm in free agency

So either Pipkins is going to get paid or he is going to be a bargain. And I am fine waiting to see if he is a bargain as one year - not enough body of work

I prefer Salyer at LG.

The list is pretty long of need/wants the Chargers have. I guess it’s why I continue to go back to quantity as much as quality and that means a trade back or two.
                  I prefer Salyer at LG as well, i think he could be a monster there for a decade. you listed 4 more teams that have urgent OT need, noted.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

I dont like that SF gets all those 3rd round comp picks...I dont like the draft rewards for minority advancement, it flies in the face of fair competition...the incentives to owners who advance minority careers should be some other form of compensation...all the money the NFL brings in, they could create a fund, and pay out lump sum rewards...successful teams getting more draft picks? That seems counter intuitive to the balance the draft system is supposed to yield, as far as fair competition. If comp picks are truely compensatory, every team that loses a coach or executive to elite promotion should benefit...if its an award, then award them something else. JMO
                    Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      JH3 and Me
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                      I dont like that SF gets all those 3rd round comp picks...I dont like the draft rewards for minority advancement, it flies in the face of fair competition...the incentives to owners who advance minority careers should be some other form of compensation...all the money the NFL brings in, they could create a fund, and pay out lump sum rewards...successful teams getting more draft picks? That seems counter intuitive to the balance the draft system is supposed to yield, as far as fair competition. If comp picks are truely compensatory, every team that loses a coach or executive to elite promotion should benefit...if it’s an award, then award them something else. JMO
                      How many did they get, for what actions specifically?

Unfortunately a side slush fund won’t incentivize all or even most of the owners.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        I dont like that SF gets all those 3rd round comp picks...I dont like the draft rewards for minority advancement, it flies in the face of fair competition...the incentives to owners who advance minority careers should be some other form of compensation...all the money the NFL brings in, they could create a fund, and pay out lump sum rewards...successful teams getting more draft picks? That seems counter intuitive to the balance the draft system is supposed to yield, as far as fair competition. If comp picks are truely compensatory, every team that loses a coach or executive to elite promotion should benefit...if its an award, then award them something else. JMO
                        Wow, they really got a haul. Lots of bodies and they’re bound to hit on even 1-2.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

How many did they get, for what actions specifically?

Unfortunately a side slush fund won’t incentivize all or even most of the owners.
                          If you have one person hired, its two 3rd round picks (one each year for two years); if you have multiple hired in the same year, that becomes 3 third round comp picks

So between Saleh, McDaniel, Martin Mayhew, that is like 5 third round picks

this year with Carthon and Ryans - three more third round picks

The Panthers are trying to model themselves after the Niners and Chiefs with their head coaching hires.

I agree - I am not sure this is the right incentive.

Comment

Working...
                          X