2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
    I have some hope that Pipkins will fly under the radar on the free agent market such that something like 3/22.5 will keep him here. Throughout the season even some of the supposedly plugged-in guys at PFF or The Ringer or wherever were recycling the 2021 talking point that we had the worst starting RT in the league. Hopefully some bigger OT names become cap casualties (like Donovan Smith yesterday) so Pipkins doesn't have a big market.
    Every GM knows every starting OT that hits FA in the league. There is no under radar flying for starting OTs.

I tremble at the nonchalant confidence some here think they can just snap and pop and voila - new elite RT off the draft board that has never played a down in the NFL is not only better than Pip on day one, he’s a gosh darn lock to be. They know its quite possible 4 OTs are already off the board, right? There are not that many blue chip fully polished pro bowl diamonds at OT in the draft. Its a big risk.

I am good with the bird in our hand. Sign him and we can use the top draft pick to get Herbie a new toy. Don’t and we have to divert our sole Rd1 pick to patching a hole we created and then hoping the patch holds. Thats the definition of treading water.

Side note - Hunter Henry robbed NE, lol
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Kyzir got 1 year, 3 mil Not bad .

Hunter Henry got 3 years, 37.5.mil
      Jenkins got 4 years, 35 mil.

Nobody here wanted to sign those guys for that much. Hunter got way more than even those who wanted him back were projecting.

Those guys weren't below market value.

Henry is hardly used in NE and Jenkins is about par for what he did for us. Neither are tearing it up. Both got big contracts.

Kyzir was cheap but, he wasn't great for us either. Run defense was worse when he was here.

BTW, Nwosu's contract is 2 years, 19.3 mil. His cap hit this year is 13 mil. Not terrible but he just wasn't that productive for us.
      I’m nobody.

kyzer should have been a no brainer

why are we even talking TE 1st rd?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

I’m nobody.

kyzer should have been a no brainer

why are we even talking TE 1st rd?
        I meant Henry and Jenkins.
        Kyzir imo was cheap at 3 mil. He did pretty decent in Philly but not sure he goes back.

Nakobe Dean will play his spot or possibly Edwards spot. Not sure which one they will keep.

Comment

• Berserker76
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Every GM knows every starting OT that hits FA in the league. There is no under radar flying for starting OTs.

I tremble at the nonchalant confidence some here think they can just snap and pop and voila - new elite RT off the draft board that has never played a down in the NFL is not only better than Pip on day one, he’s a gosh darn lock to be. They know its quite possible 4 OTs are already off the board, right? There are not that many blue chip fully polished pro bowl diamonds at OT in the draft. Its a big risk.

I am good with the bird in our hand. Sign him and we can use the top draft pick to get Herbie a new toy. Don’t and we have to divert our sole Rd1 pick to patching a hole we created and then hoping the patch holds. Thats the definition of treading water.

Agree. I've flipped back and forth on this myself, but hope we can make a reasonable deal with Pipkins. There's a very low probability that Bijan is there for us at #21, but if he is, it would be insanity not to grab him. If Bijan's gone, grab one of the TEs. This offense can be a juggernaut with our new OC and a few new toys for Herbert.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The biggest problem with re-signing Pip (besides the fact that he only had 1 average year in 4 years) is that we can't afford him with the cap situation we have.

If you go and look at almost every 1st round OT pick in the last 3 years... they are all better than Pip (excluding Leatherwood reach). The only 1 of them that scored lower than him was Evan Neal. But I think it's safe to say that Neal will get his act together and be much better than Pipkins ever will be.

I don't want to overpay for an average RT. Not when I can spend about 1/3 the amount for someone twice as good for the next 5 years.
            It's not nonchalant confidence... it's Math.

Herbie has toys (KA, MW, Palmer, Eke)... how about we protect the franchise better and give the QB more time to throw... give the RB's more room to run...?

If the top-4 OT's are off the board (unlikely) then I would wait until the next few rounds to pick up an IOL and move Salyer to RT... he's already better than Pip.
            There's your bird in the hand...

OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
              I don't want to overpay for an average RT.
              ^ This. Make Pip a team-friendly offer...if he declines it, let him go, and we get a 4th or 5th round comp pick for him...

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

If we keep Pip we have a complete starting oline and can spend our draft picks on depth like a swing tackle. If we let Pip go we forfit a top draft pick on an OT that will have to start. What if we get another three year project that shows out in his contract year but up until then is no better than Pipkin years 1-3? I do not see the wisdom in that. If the Saints can pick up Darrick Carr while being more over the cap than we are, we can find the money to keep Pipkin. I'm thinking you use pick number one to get BAA or on position you can't get later in the draft. WR, Edge, top DT, shur down CB or freaks you don't see every draft.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

But how often was Herb pressured last season?This o line isn't as solid as we all want to believe.The line still needs improvement.Again both teams in the Superbowl had the 1st & 2nd best O lines in the whole league.Not a coincidence.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                    But how often was Herb pressured last season?This o line isn't as solid as we all want to believe.The line still needs improvement.Again both teams in the Superbowl had the 1st & 2nd best O lines in the whole league.Not a coincidence.
                    from memory most of Herb presures came from Fieler and Zion.

Zion can improve, Fieler is ?

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

You're spot on.
                      I also think we used a bunch of short passes to avoid Herb getting hit, especially during that time period when he had pain in his ribs. We still need help with our OL.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Kyzir got 1 year, 3 mil Not bad .

Hunter Henry got 3 years, 37.5.mil
                        Jenkins got 4 years, 35 mil.

Nobody here wanted to sign those guys for that much. Hunter got way more than even those who wanted him back were projecting.

Those guys weren't below market value.

Henry is hardly used in NE and Jenkins is about par for what he did for us. Neither are tearing it up. Both got big contracts.

Kyzir was cheap but, he wasn't great for us either. Run defense was worse when he was here.

BTW, Nwosu's contract is 2 years, 19.3 mil. His cap hit this year is 13 mil. Not terrible but he just wasn't that productive for us.
                        you made my point for me, if you combine those men on the roster the result is greater than one joey bosa IMO…spread the wealth and improve depth as opposed to just paying top money to a handful of players and guess what? Team depth improves and you end up with better TEAM, not just a handful of stars with nothing behind them…that goes for derwin too…look at this roster on OTC and compare it to the chiefs, they have way more guys making kyzir white money and only 3 guys making over 20mil and they just let go of one of those 3 guys and didn’t tag another plus the year after they shipped hill’s ass outta town they won another superbowl…the chargers are built differently, they have like 5-6 guys over 20-30 mil and then a bunch of guys making a mil or less…Spanos likes to trot out stars he treats them like his personal trophies but the rest of the guys are just fucking chaff…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Pipkins was the second best lineman last year behind linsley, and he did it while playing hurt plus with his first legit starting year he’s only going to continue to improve…you want to see where a lot of pressures came from last year look inside at fieler and johnson too, but johnson was a rookie and going to get better…here’s the kicker, if we don’t re-sign pikins he’ll be wearing a chiefs uniform next year…and then when they kick our ass again this year with one of our guys people will say either “why didn’t we resign him” or “he never looked that good for us” and that’s because he’s still ascending and people refuse to see it…he’s going to get better and better, but let’s let him walk so we can improve by starting from scratch with a new guy, LOL
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X