• Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Back on track
    per Beachcomber thread
    who should, or will Chargers select with the 17th pick in the NFL draft?
    #17A, George Karlaftis EDGE, 6-4 275

Joey Bosa finally gets his complimentary edge rusher. If available? If not, then next edge rusher up

#17B, Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, 6-5 260

Next two DE's who can pass rush with premium athletic ability
    #17C, David Ojabo, EDGE 6-5 250

Raw, upside elite movement skills but Chargers could resign Nwuso instead
    #17D, Trevon Walker, EDGE, 6-5 275

Gifted athletic but equal parts edge rusher and run stopper.
    Working in Telesco's favor, because of deep edge class (I was willing to wait and address corner first) however he stacks these guys, one of them will be a Charger next season.

Comment

• marconi
      Air Apparent
      • Mar 2019
      • Adventure Land
      • Help people live their dreams
      • Send PM

Personally I see our top needs as RT and DT. Show me the Beef!

In the FA realm, I think our top priority is resigning Mike Williams at WR who was Herbert's favorite go to as the season progressed. They seemed to have developed a chemistry and I'd like to see that continue to grow.
      I agree that it would be great to add Jameson Williams to our stable of thoroughbreds, but if we don't fix the open gate at Right Tackle then it doesn't matter how great or how fast we are at WR if our QB has no time to throw the ball.

I think as Charger fans we have been blessed for so long with a great run of QB's that we tend to take it for granted. With that being said, I think Herbert will go on record as the GOAT and protecting him has to be our #1 priority. If he goes down, it doesn't matter how many great players we have at other positions, we are done. We also want to protect our QB position for years to come and the time to insure that investment is now.

I think OT Cross would be a great pick at 17 but he'll mostly likely be gone by then. My next choice and actually my favorite would Penning followed by Raimann.

If we do go DT in the first at 17 then I think Jordan Davis is the choice. If we wait until the 2nd round then Perrion Winfrey would be my pick. He's not the load that Davis would be in the middle but he's quick, disruptive and very difficult to block.

If we do go DT in the 1st, then my RT choice in the 2nd would be either Ohio St. Nick Petit-Fere or WSU Abraham Lucas. Lucas didn't allow a sack last year and was rated as the top pass blocker in the PAC -12. We could even wait until the 3rd round where I'd go with Jaxson Kirkland of Washington.

Bottom line. I think we could flip flop the first two rounds by going with BPA at either of these two positions.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

just checkin' my math here....

OT * Evan Neal, Ekwonu, Charles Cross * if CC gets past Carolina @6, think they made a boo boo
        ED * Hutchinson, Thibodeaux
        DB * Kyle Hamilton, Stingley, Sauce
        QB * PIckett

more than likely/prolly off the board....

ED * George Karlaftis, David Ojabo
        OG * Kenyon Green
        WR * Treylon Burks * think his measurables get him drafted before the more slight of frame/susceptible to injury, other wideouts
        CB * Andrew Booth
        NT * Jordan Davis

in the balance/on the bubble....

ED * Jermaine Johnson, Travon Walker
        OC * Tyler Linderbaum
        WR * Garrett Wilson, Drake London, JW
        LB * Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean
        QB * Matt Corral
        CB * Trent McDuffie
        DE * DeMarvin Leal
        OT * Trevor Penning, Bernhard Raimann

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
          Back on track
          per Beachcomber thread
          who should, or will Chargers select with the 17th pick in the NFL draft?
          #17A, George Karlaftis EDGE, 6-4 275

Joey Bosa finally gets his complimentary edge rusher. If available? If not, then next edge rusher up

#17B, Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, 6-5 260

Next two DE's who can pass rush with premium athletic ability
          #17C, David Ojabo, EDGE 6-5 250

Raw, upside elite movement skills but Chargers could resign Nwuso instead
          #17D, Trevon Walker, EDGE, 6-5 275

Gifted athletic but equal parts edge rusher and run stopper.
          Working in Telesco's favor, because of deep edge class (I was willing to wait and address corner first) however he stacks these guys, one of them will be a Charger next season.
          For some reason, i think Telesco would select Ojabo from that group at #17

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

For some reason, i think Telesco would select Ojabo from that group at #17
            Good call, can you expound as to why?

Do we measure in Staley’s preference as well?

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

s'more gaslighting/cold lampin' re: round one....

Pickett is still climbing the board
              as mentioned before, if Charles Cross doesn't land in Carolina, will be very disappointed for the Panthers, and.... that's if NY doesn't miss out on the other two OTs
              Matt Corrall is climbing as well.... top ten retorts
              does McDuffie come off the board before 17 ??
              have seen 4 QBs in top 11.... ??
              also not uncommon to see both LBs off the board before 17 as well
              lots of temptations if they make it to 17.... Stingley, Nakobe
              do we pass on the likes of Booth, Burks, JW, TW, Ojabo, Penning, Jordan Davis, Linderbaum, JJ2
              what does Telesco do if Kenyon Green and/or Bernhard Raimann are sitting there @17 ??
              Drake London is on my do not draft list
              will be sad/disappointed if Zion Johnson and Faalele go round one
              Trey McBride had 90 receptions and over a 1k yards.... bit of a wow
              ol' Eddie over @the SDUT has DeMarvin Leal, Andrew Booth and Kyler Gordon available to us.... @48
              is Travis Jones worthy of our 48 ??

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                s'more gaslighting/cold lampin' re: round one....

Pickett is still climbing the board
                as mentioned before, if Charles Cross doesn't land in Carolina, will be very disappointed for the Panthers, and.... that's if NY doesn't miss out on the other two OTs
                Matt Corrall is climbing as well.... top ten retorts
                does McDuffie come off the board before 17 ??
                have seen 4 QBs in top 11.... ??
                also not uncommon to see both LBs off the board before 17 as well
                lots of temptations if they make it to 17.... Stingley, Nakobe
                do we pass on the likes of Booth, Burks, JW, TW, Ojabo, Penning, Jordan Davis, Linderbaum, JJ2
                what does Telesco do if Kenyon Green and/or Bernhard Raimann are sitting there @17 ??
                Drake London is on my do not draft list
                will be sad/disappointed if Zion Johnson and Faalele go round one
                Trey McBride had 90 receptions and over a 1k yards.... bit of a wow
                ol' Eddie over @the SDUT has DeMarvin Leal, Andrew Booth and Kyler Gordon available to us.... @48
                is Travis Jones worthy of our 48 ??
                I've seen that too but imo none of these QBs are first round material. Of course they will be over drafted and just so glad we arent a team that needs a QB. This QB class isnt as bad as the 2013 class which i think is as bad as it gets but if i do need a QB, im thinking Howell might be my target. But where do you target him? He isnt top 15 material, so id be hoping bottom of first round but GMs will over draft.

If i need a QB, like Pittsburgh & Carolina for example, im trying to trade for one and skip this group.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If i need a QB, like Pittsburgh & Carolina for example, im trying to trade for one and skip this group.
                  apparently Willis is high on Tomlin's want list, and.... is Sam Darnold really that bad ??

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Good call, can you expound as to why?

Do we measure in Staley’s preference as well?
                    I didn't take Staley into account

He matches up well with Bosa: different pass rushing styles;
                    (Hutchinson is a lot more Bosa-like than Karlaftis.....so Telesco (& Staley) have had a chance to see how that might work out)

Telesco has said that he values seeing steady improvement over the course of a college career;
                    and although Ojabo's improvement was sudden and dramatic, i think this would work well for him.

He was raw, newer to the game than the others; but he has a soccer background & seemingly has the most upside.....the just scratching the surface bit;
                    Telesco actually takes more risk on upside with his 1rst round picks than with day 2 picks: Fluker, Williams, Verrett, Tillery, even Slater.

His family comes from Nigeria.....like the two other speed rushers Telesco has selected early Nwosu/Attaochu.
                    Perhaps Telesco values soccer backgrounds for that position, and he likes the discipline of Nigerian immigrant families in the U.S.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

He matches up well with Bosa: different pass rushing styles;
                      (Hutchinson is a lot more Bosa-like than Karlaftis.....so Telesco (& Staley) have had a chance to see how that might work out)

Hutchinson could be another Bosa type, well rounded, balance of size, power and strong hands to move defenders, stack and shed but how do you compare Karlaftis to Ojabo? Ojabo seems more bender and speed guy, very raw technique wise whereas Karlaftis is advanced technique, strong hands and motor guy.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Let's see if we can distill down and out this below list of 25 prospects to a near consensus cluster of 5.

Make your case as to why you think your guy will drop to us @17, and/or if from some peoples pov it might be a reach, make your case as to why your guy provides good (Staley) "value" @17.

How do you think he will fit in as a Charger, w/Staley, Renaldo Hill and/or Lombardi ??

Are you drafting just as much for need as you are liking the player ??

And feel free to eliminate guys based on red flags, off the board, or just too much of a reach, or maybe you've got your eye on someone for the same position or type of player later in the draft ??

What is your draft strategy and why do you think this guy is the best guy for the Chargers @17 ??

WR Treylon Burks, Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson
                        OT Trevor Penning, Ikem Okwonu, Charles Cross
                        OG Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green
                        OC Tyler Linderbaum

NT Jordan Davis
                        DT DeMarvin Leal
                        ED Drake Jackson, Cameron Thomas, Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson, David Ojabo, George Karlaftis
                        LB Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd
                        CB Trent McDuffie, Kaiir Elam, Ahmad Gardner, Andrew Booth Jr., Derek Stingley Jr.
                        S Daxton Hill

Screenshot 2022-01-17 114143.jpg
                        Stop copying me, Beach! I'm telling!!!

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Cat.... if you're gonna copy/add some names, make sure and take a look @the updated list,

Let's see if we can distill down and out this below list of 25 prospects to a near consensus cluster of 5.

Make your case as to why you think your guy will drop to us @17, and/or if from some peoples pov it might be a reach, make your case as to why your guy provides good (Staley) "value" @17.

How do you think he will fit in as a Charger, w/Staley, Renaldo Hill and/or Lombardi ??

Are you drafting just as much for need as you are liking the player ??

And feel free to eliminate guys based on red flags, off the board, or just too much of a reach, or maybe you've got your eye on someone for the same position or type of player later in the draft ??

What is your draft strategy and why do you think this guy is the best guy for the Chargers @17 ??

WR Treylon Burks, Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson
                          OT Trevor Penning, Charles Cross, Bernhard Raimann
                          OG Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green
                          OC Tyler Linderbaum

NT Jordan Davis
                          DT DeMarvin Leal
                          ED Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson, George Karlaftis
                          LB Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd
                          CB Trent McDuffie, Roger McCreary, Kaiir Elam, Ahmad Gardner, Andrew Booth Jr., Derek Stingley Jr.
                          S Daxton Hill

Screenshot 2022-01-17 114143.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X