• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Booth has hardly missed any snap, minor stuff, durability is a box best checked off for Chargers, regardless position. My thing is projecting forward to second contract, is he a keeper, would he be willing to sign for team friendly contract and of course how productive. Booth would be a mainstay of Staley defense, position flexible and ultra competitive. Never trusted Husky’s, well coached system players, Clemson produces more NFL top level talent.
    I like Andrew Booth. Ultra competitive and doesn't shy away from tackling, could handle multiple positions and understands zone concepts.
    But does he have the change of direction like McDuffie...?
    Technique and awareness are also areas that I think McDuffie might have an edge.

Hello everyone and welcome to my YouTube channel. I will be posting film breakdowns a few times a week on draft prospects and on NFL players. If you enjoy fe...

Having said that, I think Andrew Booth would be an excellent pick @#17. I think he fits what Staley looks for.

OLineCentric

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I like Andrew Booth. Ultra competitive and doesn't shy away from tackling, could handle multiple positions and understands zone concepts.
      But does he have the change of direction like McDuffie...?
      Technique and awareness are also areas that I think McDuffie might have an edge.

Hello everyone and welcome to my YouTube channel. I will be posting film breakdowns a few times a week on draft prospects and on NFL players. If you enjoy fe...

Having said that, I think Andrew Booth would be an excellent pick @#17. I think he fits what Staley looks for.
      you could sell me on that. Just don’t want two small corners.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I just want guys with high football IQ's who can cover and tackle.

McDuffie: 5'11" 195 lbs.
        Ramsey: 6'1" 195 lbs.
        JC Jackson: 6'1" 198 lbs.
        Booth: 6'0" 200 lbs.

Michael Davis, ASJ, and Trent McDuffie would make a great secondary. Throw in Derwin James/Adderly over the top... Staley's open for business.
        Chiefs, Bills, Bengals look to be AFC teams we'll see in the playoffs every year for a while. Better be able to cover and tackle.
        If I had one other wish for the secondary, it would be one more safety.
        Allow James to play dime-backer. Cover injuries to the safeties.

I like:
        Nick Cross or Bryan Cook in the 4th round.
        63 tackles. 5 pass breakups. 3 interceptions. 2 sacks. 1 forced fumble. The stats are enough to make one realize just how elite of a player Maryland safety N...

OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

I don't consider McDuffie to be small.

5'9", 180....that is small and short for a CB. Asante is a little on the small side being 5'10", 180 and was my concern coming out and he has been injured.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I don't consider McDuffie to be small.

5'9", 180....that is small and short for a CB. Asante is a little on the small side being 5'10", 180 and was my concern coming out and he has been injured.
            I agree. That's why I'd keep ASJ on the outside. That's why I'm looking for a CB with inside/outside capabilities... and a good tackler. I think it's important to plan for a possible injury to the CB group. We had that happen last year... and our depth was a problem.
            BTW... I'd also be looking for another versatile CB in the later rounds. Light a fire under Tevaughn's and Kemon's asses. Let those 3 compete for CB's #4 and #5.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Booth has hardly missed any snap, minor stuff, durability is a box best checked off for Chargers, regardless position. My thing is projecting forward to second contract, is he a keeper, would he be willing to sign for team friendly contract and of course how productive. Booth would be a mainstay of Staley defense, position flexible and ultra competitive. Never trusted Husky’s, well coached system players, Clemson produces more NFL top level talent.
              No way of ever knowing that.
              Booth does seem hyper competitive however.
              He and McDuffie are excellent tacklers for corners.....something i think Charger fans would welcome.
              Washington has produced higher quality defensive backs in the recent past....not a tie breaker in my opinion.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

can't have too many corners. someone is always nicked up or injured, ASjr has two concussions first year. what's protocol after 3 or 4? Davis took a step back, very disappointing season. Competition, whoever steps up and availability is best availability or do we want to keep reliving problem areas caused by lack of depth.......
                I can't see signing Jackson & drafting Booth/McDuffie. You can't have too many expensive contracts sitting on the bench.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I can't see signing Jackson & drafting Booth/McDuffie. You can't have too many expensive contracts sitting on the bench.
                  Who said anything about being bench players?

Funny how guys turn words around to fit narrative.

Clearly those are starting corners. Davis could slip into safety rotation he does have the requisite size, just not elite cover skills.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Who said anything about being bench players?

Funny how guys turn words around to fit narrative.

Clearly those are starting corners. Davis could slip into safety rotation he does have the requisite size, just not elite cover skills.
                    Davis a backup safety then....amounts to the same thing.

I would guess Staley projects a good deal of improvement from Davis in his 2nd year within the defense.

You never know though; maybe they think they made a mistake and will act accordingly.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                      Let's see if we can distill down and out this below list of 25 prospects to a near consensus cluster of 5.

Make your case as to why you think your guy will drop to us @17, and/or if from some peoples pov it might be a reach, make your case as to why your guy provides good (Staley) "value" @17.

How do you think he will fit in as a Charger, w/Staley, Renaldo Hill and/or Lombardi ??

Are you drafting just as much for need as you are liking the player ??

And feel free to eliminate guys based on red flags, off the board, or just too much of a reach, or maybe you've got your eye on someone for the same position or type of player later in the draft ??

What is your draft strategy and why do you think this guy is the best guy for the Chargers @17 ??

WR Treylon Burks, Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson
                      OT Trevor Penning, Charles Cross, Bernhard Raimann
                      OG Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green
                      OC Tyler Linderbaum

NT Jordan Davis
                      DT DeMarvin Leal
                      ED Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson, George Karlaftis
                      LB Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd
                      CB Trent McDuffie, Roger McCreary, Kaiir Elam, Ahmad Gardner, Andrew Booth Jr., Derek Stingley Jr.
                      S Daxton Hill

Screenshot 2022-01-17 114143.jpg
                      after going thru a variety of prospects and sitting w/things, have removed some of the ones listed originally, and think the following are the key considerations as things stand now, as think players not listed below are either not under consideration, or will be off the board....

WR * JW, Garrett Wilson * personally don't think it's every year that you have a shot at a premiere receiver, and.... there's no Ryan Ramczyk in this draft

taking all the Oline off the board, as don't think Cross is gonna be there @17, and just don't see anyone else making much sense @17, unless you are insisting on drafting for need

think Jordan Davis is gonna be off the board, but would pause long and hard if I was a GM @17 and he was still there

no to DeMarvin Leal, and think/hope that Karlaftis is off the board (think he fits very well in NY)

think the choice @edge is between Travon Walker and JJ2

think both LBs are gonna be there @17

@CB, think that the three of Stingley, Sauce 'n Booth will all be off the board, and that our choice there would be between McNuttie's McDuffie or McCreary

so what does your cluster look like these days, and who do you like outta Jameson Williams/Garrett Wilson, Travon Walker/JJ2, Nakobe/Devin Lloyd or McDuffie/McCreary ??

WR, ED, LB or CB ?? ??

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

personally I have questions, of varying degrees 'bout all the guys listed, save for the receivers, and.... there is most always the question of susceptibility to injury of wideouts.... that's the rub/risk there, and as both JW and Garrett Wilson are (much) smaller (framed guys) than Treylon Burks, who me suspex is gonna be off the board by 17.

otherwise I see WR w/the clearest value @17.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

reading some Voch tweets, and.... he likes the three OTs better than Sewell last year, but none of 'em as much as he liked Slater.

he hellah likes Kenyon Green.

not sure he's a fan of JJ2, and not sure how he feels 'bout Karlaftis neither ??

Comment

Working...
                          X