• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
    Others may disagree, but I really don't want to draft a wide receiver in the first round. Sure, if he's Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, or Marvin Harrison (each of whom was selected #15 or later in the first round), take him. Does anyone really have that much confidence in any of the wide receivers in this draft?

With so many receivers selected after the first round in recent drafts having good-to-great NFL careers (Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Juju Smith-Schuster, Michael Pittman, and D.K. Metcalf come to mind, but there are plenty more), I just don't see the value in taking a wide receiver #17 overall. Then you throw in the talent we already have at wide receiver, and the fact that Herbert is the type of quarterback who can make a receiver overachieve to an impressive extent (like Rivers did with Tyrell Williams and plenty of others), and I REALLY don't get those who are pushing for a wide receiver in Round 1.

I plead with Tom Telesco: DON'T allow Herbert to have complete trash at right tackle (and other spots along the offensive line) the way you and A.J. Smith punished Rivers throughout his career. I will never get over Jeromey Clary starting at right tackle for SIX YEARS.
    Good luck trying to reason with them. They wanted waddle and smith in last years draft coming off of one of the worse offensive lines in NFL history in 2020! It’s the madden thing, super star skill position players and don’t worry about the lines.

We have two of the highest paid WRs in the NFL and I believe the depth at WR is better than at any other position on the team. The only thing that compares to WR on the roster is Edge but only because of the recent Mack acquisition and the depth is not as good there.

BPA this year is a toss up, there will be a minimum of 5-7 guys available and another 2-3 that could fall and ALL would be worth that pick. They can choose corner, dline, oline, edge and wr for good value. The choice is simple for me, choose oline and protect the franchise QB! It’s not sexy but it’s the responsible choice.
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      This will make a few people here happy, and a few sad. Two favorites go right before us.

McDuffie goes 12, Cross at 13. Ugh. Draft day could be brutal. Olave goes 19. That would be my choice in this situation.
      I’ll be ok with Green if Penning is gone. Either will upgrade the OL. Would love Olave (sp?) but think OL is much higher priority. Strengthen the line and every WR on our roster will be “better”. Just like a great Edge makes every DB “better”. Multiplier effect
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

There are well documented issues with this prospect. They do sometimes call holding in the NFL. Scheme fit is a question. Wide Zone vs Gap/Power.
        No prospect is perfect.

priority one

BPA that protects franchise

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
          Others may disagree, but I really don't want to draft a wide receiver in the first round. Sure, if he's Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, or Marvin Harrison (each of whom was selected #15 or later in the first round), take him. Does anyone really have that much confidence in any of the wide receivers in this draft?

With so many receivers selected after the first round in recent drafts having good-to-great NFL careers (Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Juju Smith-Schuster, Michael Pittman, and D.K. Metcalf come to mind, but there are plenty more), I just don't see the value in taking a wide receiver #17 overall. Then you throw in the talent we already have at wide receiver, and the fact that Herbert is the type of quarterback who can make a receiver overachieve to an impressive extent (like Rivers did with Tyrell Williams and plenty of others), and I REALLY don't get those who are pushing for a wide receiver in Round 1.

I plead with Tom Telesco: DON'T allow Herbert to have complete trash at right tackle (and other spots along the offensive line) the way you and A.J. Smith punished Rivers throughout his career. I will never get over Jeromey Clary starting at right tackle for SIX YEARS.
          Pick 17 either Penning or Green, Cross, Jameson, Wyatt or trade Pick 17 for Deebo Samuel... Pick 79 Alec Pierce, or Abraham Lucas... Pick 160 Pierre Strong Jr

Trade up or trade KA to get either Travis Jones and or Perrion Winfrey.
          Last edited by electricgold; 04-20-2022, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

If it wasn't for Stingley's injuries maybe? Otherwise no.
            Funny, cuz I think Stingley is the only player they would consider trading up for.

In one way, trading future draft picks for the right players in this draft makes sense. Load up the team now, fill the roster holes, for a three year ride while Herb's on his rookie contract. Don't worry about 1st round picks (the Rams & 49ers don't and they're in the championship game) for the next few years, chances are they are going to be low-round picks anyway. Use 2nd & 3rd day picks in the next few drafts for depth and for developmental players.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

I’ve narrowed #17 down to Zion, McDuffie, or Hill. Position flexibility is the key.

(With a caveat of Stingley or Cross if either fall.)

We want instant impact, and Penning needs a year to develop.

I’m still tempted by the EDGE prospects that could be available, but I think Staley would rather fortify the OL or DB.

Our WR corps will already improve with Palmer and Guyton ascending, MW peaking, and Keenan plateauing with a possible subtle decline. They’ll draft a high-ceiling developmental guy in the later rounds.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                A clusta is defined as three players.

At this moment, I am having a hard time getting it down to five.

@ #17 must be perfection.

It's a long way to #79.

C'mon TPB scouts. Film. Tape. Who fits US ? LAC ?
                Dax, Jameson, Zion. There are a handful of DBs I really like here but I think Dax has the most flexibility out of all of them, which would really free up Derwin for Staley. Jameson is the best possible value pick at 17 that I reasonably see falling to us. The need isn’t high and if we passed on him I wouldn’t be upset until the Chiefs drafted him but take away the ACL injury (which doesn’t scare me off prospects nowadays) and he’s WR1 in the draft. Being able to go 4 deep at WR with Keenan, MWill, Jameson, and Palmer for the next 3 years is maximizing Herbert and this offense’s potential during his Herbert’s rookie window. It also gives us flexibility should MWill fall off after getting his contract, and keeps us stocked at WR with the inevitable injuries that will occur on our WR room. Zion is simply the safest OL pick I see realistically being available at 17. I’d be happy slotting him in next to Slater and having a dominant left side of the OL for the next decade plus. He’s my top IOL and those guys usually get drafted in the 15-25 range so I don’t feel he’s a reach agreement 17 either. All 3 guys I see as “high floor” prospects that are on top of their position groups. For the record if Jameson isn’t there at 17 then I’m all aboard the ‘no WR in the 1st’ train, his value is that much higher than the other WR to me.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Good post, Dan...errr B4YP.
                  Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

So with the reports of Devonte Wyatt being completely taken off draft boards because of 3 domestic violence charges popping up. The question is, how far does he fall, and if he falls far, what round do you take a flier on a guy with that kind of talent? Or do you not even draft him?

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                      So with the reports of Devonte Wyatt being completely taken off draft boards because of 3 domestic violence charges popping up. The question is, how far does he fall, and if he falls far, what round do you take a flier on a guy with that kind of talent? Or do you not even draft him?
                      For TT I expect he is fully off the board, but for the teams that are willing to draft players like that… Tyreek went in the 5th with similar off-field issues so I think it’s safe to say Wyatt is a day 3 selection most likely.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                        My guess is Telesco dont draft him period. His domestic violense issue wont be better in round 7. He dont want those types on the team.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

My guess is Telesco dont draft him period. His domestic violense issue wont be better in round 7. He dont want those types on the team.
                          Neither does TT.

Comment

Working...
                          X