• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

If we draft a 25 year old who is at best the 5th OT in this draft with #17 then we have made a monumental mistake. That means we have left value on the board in a big way, and that is not how you build a winning team. Just because RG and RT are the only spots without a clear starter doesn’t mean they HAVE to be addressed with the first picks. Also just because someone is hired to do a job doesn’t mean they’re good at it, so PFF being tasked with analytics by the NFL doesn’t mean anything special. Ask any Telesco detractor here and they’ll tell you why he doesn’t deserve the job he has, just because you’re getting paid to do something doesn’t mean you’re the best at what you do or that you can’t be wrong.

You feel RT has to be addressed at #17 regardless of how the draft falls, and that’s fine but the NFL has shown time and time again that drafting for need is a losing business.
    That 25 year old put on 70 pounds, made a switch from TE to OT in the time-frame of 2 years. I'm impressed, PFF is impressed. I simply look at traits and see an un-finished product with a very high ceiling. Who's to say that, with NFL coaching, this guy doesn't end up being the 17th best performing player by season's end...?

I saw some of the same traits in Christian Darrisaw and Sam Cosmi last year... and got Bar-B-Q'd. IMO, Raimann is more like Sam Cosmi. Are you saying you wouldn't want Sam Cosmi @RT this year...? Sam Cosmi would make us nearly un-stoppable. We'd be better running the ball... we'd be better passing the ball... most importantly, we'd be better at protecting the team's franchise player. The most important thing we could possibly do is protect Justin Herbert next year. If I were building a team to compete in a couple years... absolutely, I'd go BPA. But I think we make a serious Super Bowl run this year... if Justin Herbert is protected better. If that means choosing the 25th ranked Raimann (or whatever your personal grade is) or choosing the 30th ranked Penning... I'd do anything it takes to win a Super Bowl in the next 2 or 3 years.

If you want to wait for an overdrafted/unproven Pipkins to develop... that's your choice. History and statistics are against you.
    If you see another route to get better (and improve the obvious weak-link @RT)... be my guest.
    I'm not completely closed minded. I've offered multiple suggestions/alternatives to drafting a RT in the 1st round...
    But accept the risks involved in those proposals...
    OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Let's do business with DAL.

Jerrah is still bent about the Eagles drafting Dallas Goedert. Oh, the nerve.

After PHI picks at 15, the Cowboys can jump pick #18 for an elite WR. We can recover some draft capital from the Khalil Mack trade.

As just announced, this is exactly the kind of thing the Cowboys would wanna do.

It makes perfect horse sense.
      I'd be on board with that trade... if it netted us Dallas' 3rd and 4th round picks. Damage could be done there. Immediate need (RT) could be had and good depth could be addressed with an extra 3rd and 4th. Always thinking Wu... always thinking...
      OLineCentric

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

That 25 year old put on 70 pounds, made a switch from TE to OT in the time-frame of 2 years. I'm impressed, PFF is impressed. I simply look at traits and see an un-finished product with a very high ceiling. Who's to say that, with NFL coaching, this guy doesn't end up being the 17th best performing player by season's end...?

I saw some of the same traits in Christian Darrisaw and Sam Cosmi last year... and got Bar-B-Q'd. IMO, Raimann is more like Sam Cosmi. Are you saying you wouldn't want Sam Cosmi @RT this year...? Sam Cosmi would make us nearly un-stoppable. We'd be better running the ball... we'd be better passing the ball... most importantly, we'd be better at protecting the team's franchise player. The most important thing we could possibly do is protect Justin Herbert next year. If I were building a team to compete in a couple years... absolutely, I'd go BPA. But I think we make a serious Super Bowl run this year... if Justin Herbert is protected better. If that means choosing the 25th ranked Raimann (or whatever your personal grade is) or choosing the 30th ranked Penning... I'd do anything it takes to win a Super Bowl in the next 2 or 3 years.

If you want to wait for an overdrafted/unproven Pipkins to develop... that's your choice. History and statistics are against you.
        If you see another route to get better (and improve the obvious weak-link @RT)... be my guest.
        I'm not completely closed minded. I've offered multiple suggestions/alternatives to drafting a RT in the 1st round...
        But accept the risks involved in those proposals...
        I’m not saying Raimann doesn’t have positives, if we grabbed him in the 3rd I’d be ecstatic. To me the first round is your franchise cornerstone pieces, and his age limits him from being that kind of player IMO. If he’s taken in the first his second contract will come up for his age 30 season. Maybe he becomes a guy you can rely on during that rookie deal but then how much is he going to ask for on his second deal, usually the largest money deal of a player’s career, at a point where he will be on the physical decline? I get everyone being on the ‘win now’ mindset but to me that leads to poor drafting. FA is where you get your win now pieces, which we did, the draft is where you keep your team competitive year in and year out.

For alternative routes I do think there will possibly be some good value for OT in the 3rd or 4th. Raimann and Lucas would be great value there if they fell but I think they’re both round 2 guys. Rasheed Walker, Kellen Diesch, Max Mitchell, Nicholas Petit-Frere, Tyler Smith, or Sean Rhyan are all guys that could be there that would be an improvement over Storm day 1. We also have the option of Feiler to RT and finding a replacement OG, which is generally easier to do but doesn’t lock down the RT position for the long haul.

I don’t love the thought of Storm and Pipkins fighting out for the starting RT role anymore than you do, although I do think Pipkins actually took positive steps forward for the first time in his career last season and I love that he’s working with Slater and Mayweather this off season. I just think limiting ourselves in the first round to any specific position is poor draft strategy, especially when the starting roster really only has 2 spots open.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

I'd be on board with that trade... if it netted us Dallas' 3rd and 4th round picks. Damage could be done there. Immediate need (RT) could be had and good depth could be addressed with an extra 3rd and 4th. Always thinking Wu... always thinking...

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I look at mocks, I do the on line mocks. I think Penning makes it to 17. Where he's a no brainer pick. OTs are just too hard to find to skip taking one when he's needed and available.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Let's do business with DAL.

Jerrah is still bent about the Eagles drafting Dallas Goedert. Oh, the nerve.

After PHI picks at 15, the Cowboys can jump pick #18 for an elite WR. We can recover some draft capital from the Khalil Mack trade.

As just announced, this is exactly the kind of thing the Cowboys would wanna do.

It makes perfect horse sense.

Yep...this could work...trade down from #17 to the Cowboys at #24 would be a 210-point differential. The Dallas 3rd rounder is 150 pts. and the 4th rounder is 43. If they throw in one of their 5th rounders, that would make up the difference. So, by trading down, we could gain 3 extra picks! There should still be good value at #24 overall. In fact, I'd kind of like to take Lucas there. If Zion is still there, no brainer. This is doable.

dal.JPG

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

I’m not saying Raimann doesn’t have positives, if we grabbed him in the 3rd I’d be ecstatic. To me the first round is your franchise cornerstone pieces, and his age limits him from being that kind of player IMO. If he’s taken in the first his second contract will come up for his age 30 season. Maybe he becomes a guy you can rely on during that rookie deal but then how much is he going to ask for on his second deal, usually the largest money deal of a player’s career, at a point where he will be on the physical decline? I get everyone being on the ‘win now’ mindset but to me that leads to poor drafting. FA is where you get your win now pieces, which we did, the draft is where you keep your team competitive year in and year out.

For alternative routes I do think there will possibly be some good value for OT in the 3rd or 4th. Raimann and Lucas would be great value there if they fell but I think they’re both round 2 guys. Rasheed Walker, Kellen Diesch, Max Mitchell, Nicholas Petit-Frere, Tyler Smith, or Sean Rhyan are all guys that could be there that would be an improvement over Storm day 1. We also have the option of Feiler to RT and finding a replacement OG, which is generally easier to do but doesn’t lock down the RT position for the long haul.

I don’t love the thought of Storm and Pipkins fighting out for the starting RT role anymore than you do, although I do think Pipkins actually took positive steps forward for the first time in his career last season and I love that he’s working with Slater and Mayweather this off season. I just think limiting ourselves in the first round to any specific position is poor draft strategy, especially when the starting roster really only has 2 spots open.
                That’s why I’m secretly hoping Telesco and Staley finds a way to trade down.

Comment

• Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The Cowgirls were going to draft Bosa, the Elliot leaks were all part of liars month.

Trading down is a terrible option. It would be like TT flinching in the first 5 seconds of a game of chicken. I will always dismiss trading back unless someone gives you an offer that is so over the top as I suggested 2 1sts and 2 2nds for moving back 5 spots. Otherwise piss off no deal. Take the best player and move on.

This idea that comes up every year of trading back until we have all of the 7th round picks for the entire draft is just not a winning strategy.
                  Your take regarding the Cowboys possibly drafting Bosa is just completely false and totally illogical. There is no other way to say it. The Cowboys wanted Elliott all along.

Perhaps this has not occurred to you, but teams do not play in liars month by naming a player that they actually might take. So, a team would not lie about their intent to take Zeke to media sources and then turn around and take him.

That the Cowboys were taking Elliott was very widely reported both locally and nationally by seemingly everyone in the media at the time. I know. I lived in the Metroplex at the time and saw the reporting first hand.

Your take on trade backs is equally bizarre. The draft pick trading chart actually undervalues lower picks when it comes to small trade backs. In the back half of the first round, there are unlikely to be guaranteed blue chip players on the board, so staying near the same range and picking up an extra bullet to fire (draft pick) is often very beneficial.

If we have the chance to move back to #22 and pick up a second round pick in the process, barring a great player falling into our laps, I would trade back in an instant.

For example, I really like Penning's traits, but I cannot guarantee that he is going to be an elite player, so I would see nothing wrong with trading back, selecting a guy like Travis Jones, which may be overpaying for Jones, and then taking a guy like Lucas late in round 2 with the extra pick acquired, which I think is arguably overpaying for Lucas. I think Penning will be better than Lucas as an NFL player, but I would rather have Jones and Lucas than just Penning any day. Even arguably overpaying for both players, the result still appears better than the result of having just the one player and that is consistently the case with small range trade backs in the vast majority of instances.

There is even a chance with a small trade back that the player desired all along falls to the team anyway and the team walks away with both the originally desired player and an extra high value pick.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Spinal Tap...good one...let's turn this draft up to #11!!!

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                      The draft pick trading chart actually undervalues lower picks when it comes to small trade backs.
                      Agree...I always thought it was kind of ridiculous to value ALL the 7th rounders at only ONE point...or a mid-6th rounder at just 10 points...should be higher...

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        Pretty much retired......
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...this could work...trade down from #17 to the Cowboys at #24 would be a 210-point differential. The Dallas 3rd rounder is 150 pts. and the 4th rounder is 43. If they throw in one of their 5th rounders, that would make up the difference. So, by trading down, we could gain 3 extra picks! There should still be good value at #24 overall. In fact, I'd kind of like to take Lucas there. If Zion is still there, no brainer. This is doable.

dal.JPG
                        Now THAT would be a perfect spot for Lewis Cine.......

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Your take regarding the Cowboys possibly drafting Bosa is just completely false and totally illogical. There is no other way to say it. The Cowboys wanted Elliott all along.

Perhaps this has not occurred to you, but teams do not play in liars month by naming a player that they actually might take. So, a team would not lie about their intent to take Zeke to media sources and then turn around and take him.

That the Cowboys were taking Elliott was very widely reported both locally and nationally by seemingly everyone in the media at the time. I know. I lived in the Metroplex at the time and saw the reporting first hand.

Your take on trade backs is equally bizarre. The draft pick trading chart actually undervalues lower picks when it comes to small trade backs. In the back half of the first round, there are unlikely to be guaranteed blue chip players on the board, so staying near the same range and picking up an extra bullet to fire (draft pick) is often very beneficial.

If we have the chance to move back to #22 and pick up a second round pick in the process, barring a great player falling into our laps, I would trade back in an instant.

For example, I really like Penning's traits, but I cannot guarantee that he is going to be an elite player, so I would see nothing wrong with trading back, selecting a guy like Travis Jones, which may be overpaying for Jones, and then taking a guy like Lucas late in round 2 with the extra pick acquired, which I think is arguably overpaying for Lucas. I think Penning will be better than Lucas as an NFL player, but I would rather have Jones and Lucas than just Penning any day. Even arguably overpaying for both players, the result still appears better than the result of having just the one player and that is consistently the case with small range trade backs in the vast majority of instances.

There is even a chance with a small trade back that the player desired all along falls to the team anyway and the team walks away with both the originally desired player and an extra high value pick.
                          Believe what you want about the Cowgirls. I hope you do not believe every lie that comes out during March and April from each team.

I hate trading back so it does not make sense unless we can absolutely fleece someone. If we are not fleecing than pick who you want and don risk losing them just to give TT another chance at a bust in the next round.

Comment

Working...
                          X