Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

My solution is not getting tied down by the we have to get this or that argument.
    If the best player at #17 is a defensive player, than fine - draft him.

If they grab Breece Hall/Jameson Williams at #17, i'd be fine with it provided that one of them is the best player available.
    If they grab Zion Johnson, Jordan Davis, Dax Hill or even your beloved Trevor Penning,
    I'd be fine with that, provided that they know how they should be developed and integrated into their unit,
    and that they are the best available player.

If Telesco is straight jacketed by imperatives, he's going to fail, as he typically does when drafting need,
    Last year, Slater and Samuel fell to them at a time when those were primary needs....one shouldn't always expect that to happen.

All teams have holes and it is the job of the coaching staff to work around that....too many of them is an impossible task, of course.
    If the hole is the center position (Linsley out) & entire right side of the Oline - well, that can get ugly.
    That sounds reasonable...but Penning is not "beloved" to me, just thought the passionate criticism was a bit over the top, but its JMO. You got good takes, bro....just a little acidic with your devil's advocacy sometimes...
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Drat.
      Clean prospects.
      There is serious talk about Travon to JAC.
      MIN/BAL are in our way for McDuffie and Jordan Davis.
      It's going to be a crap shoot.
      Let's hope the QBs are overdrafted.

As we head down the straightaway towards the finish line,
      it is about guessing what StaleyD envisions.
      Is there really a wrong answer at # 17 ?
      Yep and I just saw a draft that has only 1 OT being selected in the 1st 10 picks. Got to believe 1 of the top 3 OT could be there at 17, maybe. But how could you pass if Stingley is on the board at 17?

Also just saw a headline article that states most of the Chargers fans either want a starting RT or big play WR with pick 17?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

If we draft Raimann I am still doing a victory lap.
        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

You're using the 2016 draft to show that trading back is a bad idea? The Chargers could have traded down and still gotten Jalen Ramsey, Ronnie Stanley, Deforest Buckner, or Laramey Tunsil in the first. I like Bosa, but even if all we picked up was an extra second I'd rather have any of the players listed in round one and Xavien Howard, Michael Thomas, or Derrick Henry in the second.
          Well if we can draft with hindsight, travel a couple of years into the future and come back and tell TT which players will be pro bowlers and which will be busts. That will help out a ton while drafting.

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

[QUOTE=electricgold;n1337003]
            Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The Cowgirls were going to draft Bosa, the Elliot leaks were all part of liars month.

Trading down is a terrible option. It would be like TT flinching in the first 5 seconds of a game of chicken. I will always dismiss trading back unless someone gives you an offer that is so over the top as I suggested 2 1sts and 2 2nds for moving back 5 spots. Otherwise piss off no deal. Take the best player and move on.

All depends on who is on the board at 17! For me its going to be brutal IF we have to wait until the 3rd round until we make our next pick after 17, especially seeing what players come off the board between picks.

I once watched a draft where Bill Belichick traded down, then traded down again, and then went on to win multiple superbowls.
            I have watched quite a few trade down and not make the playoffs. Belicheat is not a good example other than being an outlier.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              As we get closer to the draft,
              personal opinion gets conflated with predicting what the Chargers will do.

IMV, getting off the field defensively on third down is a bigger problem than ORT,
              and my prediction is that the Chargers see it that way too.

Stingley, Dax Hill or Booth @ #17.

Bye.
              No Elam in that bunch? He’s the best press man CB in the draft after a healthy Stingley.

Comment

• Pat_Swindle
                WustinSlurbert
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

A little while back, I was seeing Devin Lloyd mocked to the Chargers a bit, even before Kyzir White signed with Philly. Weird, now that Kyzir is gone, virtually no one, not even the Director, is talking about Lloyd as a possibility @ 17. I know Staley doesn't value linebackers as much in his system as all the other defensive positions, but you still need them, especially when the Chargers are thin there. Troy Reeder may be a familiar face, but he ain't no Kyzir White, and Kenneth Murray will be coming off surgery. There's just not enough there for me to feel fully good about the revamped run D.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

My solution is not getting tied down by the we have to get this or that argument.
                  If the best player at #17 is a defensive player, than fine - draft him.

If they grab Breece Hall/Jameson Williams at #17, i'd be fine with it provided that one of them is the best player available.
                  If they grab Zion Johnson, Jordan Davis, Dax Hill or even your beloved Trevor Penning,
                  I'd be fine with that, provided that they know how they should be developed and integrated into their unit,
                  and that they are the best available player.

If Telesco is straight jacketed by imperatives, he's going to fail, as he typically does when drafting need,
                  Last year, Slater and Samuel fell to them at a time when those were primary needs....one shouldn't always expect that to happen.

All teams have holes and it is the job of the coaching staff to work around that....too many of them is an impossible task, of course.
                  If the hole is the center position (Linsley out) & entire right side of the Oline - well, that can get ugly.
                  I love bold takes. That Breece Hill was damn nice !!

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Well if we can draft with hindsight, travel a couple of years into the future and come back and tell TT which players will be pro bowlers and which will be busts. That will help out a ton while drafting.
                    Easy peasey !

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Yep and I just saw a draft that has only 1 OT being selected in the 1st 10 picks. Got to believe 1 of the top 3 OT could be there at 17, maybe. But how could you pass if Stingley is on the board at 17?

Also just saw a headline article that states most of the Chargers fans either want a starting RT or big play WR with pick 17?
                      I'll say at least 3 in the top ten. The position is too valued.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Pat_Swindle View Post
                        A little while back, I was seeing Devin Lloyd mocked to the Chargers a bit, even before Kyzir White signed with Philly. Weird, now that Kyzir is gone, virtually no one, not even the Director, is talking about Lloyd as a possibility @ 17. I know Staley doesn't value linebackers as much in his system as all the other defensive positions, but you still need them, especially when the Chargers are thin there. Troy Reeder may be a familiar face, but he ain't no Kyzir White, and Kenneth Murray will be coming off surgery. There's just not enough there for me to feel fully good about the revamped run D.
                        We could still draft LB. I just don’t see it in the first three rounds.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

No Elam in that bunch? He’s the best press man CB in the draft after a healthy Stingley.
                          Good call.
                          I have Booth ahead of the Gator.
                          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X