• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I hope he doesn’t change. I love that he plays to win, and not to lose unlike our previous HCs including Marty. Sounds like he won’t change fortunately.
    last year was Staley’s first in the NFL, now people have a book on him. Now we see if more good comes from bad decisions like you said. Aggressive I like, not taking three points against KC with no time on the clock to stretch the lead, I don’t like. He has to learn the margin of error is so fine that at times it pays to be prudent and play the game straight. Something about his decisions tells me he needs to respect his opponents more than he does. I like that he’s confident in his coaching but he can’t let his ego reign over reason. It’s a tough pill to swallow with a top three QB in the NFL missing the playoffs like that. I like aggressive but I don’t like over aggressive bordering on stupid. I’m still firmly in Staley’s corner but some of the veneer definitely came off last year. This team is already built for sean payton, his offense is already installed and payton wants to coach again so staley better watch his rear this year
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

One thing I’ve learned in my 44 years of fandom is that good coaches always win in november and december. Bad coaches start hot and fizzle down the stretch. The Chargers started 4-1 and how did they finish the year? And it wasn’t injuries and everyone else dealt with covid too. It’s possible that people figured out Staley towards the end of the season…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
        One thing I’ve learned in my 44 years of fandom is that good coaches always win in november and december. Bad coaches start hot and fizzle down the stretch. The Chargers started 4-1 and how did they finish the year? And it wasn’t injuries and everyone else dealt with covid too. It’s possible that people figured out Staley towards the end of the season…
        Let's face it-- the Bolts' defense was awful. It was so bad, they couldn't prevent it from being exploited. They also paid dearly until they got the PK and KR roles competently filled.

IMO, this was all more about personnel than it was about coaching.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

They figured out the Chargers weak spot, right side of offensive line and run defense.

Staley has addressed run defense but as yet OL right side looms large.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Just considering Charger head coaches first year for this century:

Schottenheimer: team started hot & fizzeled
            Turner: team started cold and got hot
            McCoy: team started cold and got hot
            Lynn: team started cold and got hot
            Staley: hot / fizzle

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

last year was Staley’s first in the NFL, now people have a book on him. Now we see if more good comes from bad decisions like you said. Aggressive I like, not taking three points against KC with no time on the clock to stretch the lead, I don’t like. He has to learn the margin of error is so fine that at times it pays to be prudent and play the game straight. Something about his decisions tells me he needs to respect his opponents more than he does. I like that he’s confident in his coaching but he can’t let his ego reign over reason. It’s a tough pill to swallow with a top three QB in the NFL missing the playoffs like that. I like aggressive but I don’t like over aggressive bordering on stupid. I’m still firmly in Staley’s corner but some of the veneer definitely came off last year. This team is already built for sean payton, his offense is already installed and payton wants to coach again so staley better watch his rear this year
              I mentioned this so many time before but the reason he trusts the analytics on 4th down is because the margins are so small. You do whatever you can to increase your win probability. The problem is that you and many others are looking at things too narrowly. It has absolutely nothing to do with ego. And it wasn’t being aggressive bordering on stupid since there’s actual reasons behind every 4th decision. If you think that’s the case then you’re too much of a traditionalist and we should have stuck with Lynn as our HC.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Statement made post Raiders loss.
                I know. It seemed absurd at the time. But given that Staley didn’t bother to resign White, that’s obviously how he really feel.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

One thing I’ve learned in my 44 years of fandom is that good coaches always win in november and december. Bad coaches start hot and fizzle down the stretch. The Chargers started 4-1 and how did they finish the year? And it wasn’t injuries and everyone else dealt with covid too. It’s possible that people figured out Staley towards the end of the season
                  Or he had the wrong personnel to run his defense. Considering the off-season purge of the front 7, that seems to be the case…or at least the excuse. I wouldn’t give up on Staley so soon. I know a determined mind when I see one. He’ll get it done.
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Or he had the wrong personnel to run his defense. Considering the off-season purge of the front 7, that seems to be the case…or at least the excuse. I wouldn’t give up on Staley so soon. I know a determined mind when I see one. He’ll get it done.
                    Let’s hope we have an equally amazing draft like we did with FA.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

The standard is you're not going for it on 4th down in your territory.
                      On 4th and short, you can go for it from your 40 yards line.
                      I can understand sometimes you will try it at your 30 or 35.
                      At your 18 ? Far too daring !

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                        Day One...
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Brentwood, 94513
                        • Send PM

Our Way. It isn’t insane that he went for it from his 18 on a 4th n one. It’s that the ran it, instead of letting Herbert get it. You can’t be happy he went for it in KC on a was a 4th and 4 to a 4th and 9 then get it, to turn around and be mad when he doesn’t.

This notion that he’s going to change because the defense is better is wrong. Because he has an elite qb and now a better defense, I feel he will go for it more. And yes, sometime they won’t convert. But in the long run, they will convert more often than not.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                          Our Way. It isn’t insane that he went for it from his 18 on a 4th n one. It’s that the ran it, instead of letting Herbert get it. You can’t be happy he went for it in KC on a was a 4th and 4 to a 4th and 9 then get it, to turn around and be mad when he doesn’t.

This notion that he’s going to change because the defense is better is wrong. Because he has an elite qb and now a better defense, I feel he will go for it more. And yes, sometime they won’t convert. But in the long run, they will convert more often than not.
                          Yeah exactly. The problem was the play called for the 4th down plays. Not the decision to go for it.

And I think we’ll have less 4th and long calls simply because our defense won’t leave us behind the eight ball like what happened in the Cleveland and Raiders game. We’ll still go for it on 4th and short if the analytics are in our favor.

Comment

Working...
                          X