• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cmplxgal
    replied

Leave a comment:

• blueman
    replied
    We draft a WR in any round, Guyton is gone.

Leave a comment:

• La Costa Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    Palmer had more receptions and fewer snaps than Guyton and more TDs too. Guyton is the weakest link at WR.
    There he said it.......

You want a guy to run around and break ankles like Britian Covey.....

Leave a comment:

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by Chargerfreak View Post

Good post. Cooper Kupp last year..............Interesting post.
    And a HOF DT.

Leave a comment:

• Chargerfreak
    replied
    Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm bouncing back and forth on this like crazy.

The last 3 Super Bowl winners have been getting outstanding wide receiver play.

Even in the Patriot win from 4 years ago, Edelman went off.

The time when it was said that teams with the best receivers do not win Super Bowls is over;
    but some still have that attitude.
    Good post. Cooper Kupp last year..............Interesting post.

Leave a comment:

• Maniaque 6
    replied
    I read somewhere in this forum that many good WRs were drafted in 3rd or 4th round.
    K. Allen in the 3rd or M. Williams in the 1st ?

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

Strongly agree with the second point. I love Keenan, but my gut feeling is we should move on from him sooner rather than later. I think the writing is also on the wall with Mike's new contract, Palmer being drafted last year and significant evidence that we're looking at a WR in the first this year. Next year, we will hopefully be picking nearer to the end of the first round where the top 4-5 receiver prospects are already gone.
    I'm bouncing back and forth on this like crazy.

The last 3 Super Bowl winners have been getting outstanding wide receiver play.

Even in the Patriot win from 4 years ago, Edelman went off.

The time when it was said that teams with the best receivers do not win Super Bowls is over;
    but some still have that attitude.

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

I think you do put Zion at LG in that situation. While it would be nice to keep the left side together from last year it’s not like Slater needs the ‘crutch’ of having a vet next to him and Zion is very technically sound as well. You also have the left side of the line locked down for the foreseeable future. If the team wants to put Jaimes at RG then he can be sandwiched between 2 vets that way or (hopefully) we resign Oday to man the RG spot.

Slater-Zion-Linsley-Oday/Jaimes-Feiler sounds a lot better to me than Slater-Feiler-Linsley-Zion-Pipkins.
    Curious if Telesco/Staley have any info on Pips development under Manyweather.

My assumption is that given the limited time frame, they are not expecting a transformed player.

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

First, I seriously doubt that Staley wants 6 WRs on the roster given that he stuck with 5 WRs last year even though one was a return man only. He does not seem to be inclined to carry 6 WRs, so this entire discussion of Jameson Williams seems pointless unless Staley departs from his previous course of action.

I have faith in Telesco and Staley that they will not do the single stupidest thing they could do today in terms of positional choice selected. This is especially after re-signing Mike Williams, having just drafted Palmer last year, tendering Guyton and signing Carter. I think there is a very good chance we are done at WR right now, barring perhaps a late round flier on a speed guy.

Further, last year, with a few minor exceptions that had mostly to do with injury and illness, we only had 4 WRs that had any kind of offensive impact in terms of number of targets and receptions. They were Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Jalen Guyton and Joshua Palmer. This year, we did not bring back a return only player in Roberts, deliberately choosing to sign someone that could also serve as a WR in addition to return duties. Carter had over 40 targets last year for WAS. Allen and Williams are going to get their nearly 300 targets, so now we would be looking at sharing just under 100 targets among 4 WRs if we were to draft Jameson Williams based upon last year's pass distribution.

And you are kidding yourself if you think Jameson Williams will have the recovery and reps in to be ready to go by the time the season begins. He will be behind. His impact will also be limited because we have depth at WR. You are delusional if you think Palmer and Guyton, much less Palmer, Guyton and Carter, would simply be frozen out of the offense because Williams joined the team.

Ekeler and Everett are going to get a bunch of targets as well. Parham and McKitty will likely see their number of targets go up as well as they are ascending players. There is only one ball.

All of this will tend to minimize Jameson Williams' impact, especially as a rookie, if we select him. Then, there is the injury risk issue given his recent injury history plus his slight build. There is the depth at WR in this draft as well, so there no need to select an injured WR in the first round. Good WR draft candidates have been plentiful in recent drafts and that trend is likely to continue when it comes time to move on from Allen in a few years.

Finally, I am not sure how you can dispute that a lesser record of college success is a less favorable trait than a lengthier, multiple season record of success. That point seems obvious and incapable of being reasonably disputed, but you go right ahead if it makes you feel better.

I think this is enough time wasted discussing arguably the stupidest selection we could possibly make and that we will not be making today in the likely event that Telesco and Staley are not clueless.
    Your multiple seasons of success are based on incredibly low standards for Guyton.
    No! Guyton would be frozen out of the offense sooner rather than later. Its as simple as that, unless a complication in recovery or another injury arises.
    The same thing would occur if Olave is the pick.

Guyton is not a big play receiver, period! You gripe about Lombardi not sending Guyton on fly patterns.....he still has opportunities to make a big play on short passes, but he never does. He must be so elated holding onto the football that he forgets to continue.

If you can show me a highlight where Guyton turns a short pass into a 20 + yard gain, i'd be happy to see it.

Chargers are not sitting any 1rst or 2nd round receiver to make room for Guyton: too much of an investment.

Leave a comment:

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    replied
    Palmer had more receptions and fewer snaps than Guyton and more TDs too. Guyton is the weakest link at WR.

Leave a comment:

• Bearded14YourPleasure
    replied
    Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
    If we do take Zion Johnson at 17, do we think that automatically means Feiler is moving to RT? I'm very hesitant to break up the left sign of the line knowing how great they played last season. Part of me would want Feiler to stay at LG, have Zion play RG and have Pipkins/a tackle taken at 79 play RT. If Zion looks good right away, that might be the better move IMO.
    I think you do put Zion at LG in that situation. While it would be nice to keep the left side together from last year it’s not like Slater needs the ‘crutch’ of having a vet next to him and Zion is very technically sound as well. You also have the left side of the line locked down for the foreseeable future. If the team wants to put Jaimes at RG then he can be sandwiched between 2 vets that way or (hopefully) we resign Oday to man the RG spot.

Slater-Zion-Linsley-Oday/Jaimes-Feiler sounds a lot better to me than Slater-Feiler-Linsley-Zion-Pipkins.

Leave a comment:

• SK21209
    replied
    Originally posted by SYB View Post

1st bolded: You're practicing some serious willful ignorance if you think that Williams wouldn't make Guyton completely obsolete and a definite cut candidate. Guyton's singualr skill is running fast in a straight line. That is it. Shit, there's a good chance that even if the team didn't draft a WR, he could be gone. He's the epitome of a bubble player.

2nd bolded: The time to move on from Keenan could very well be after 2022, with how his contract is set up they could save almost $15mil. After investing $20+ mil per year in Williams, I can't imagine they want to pay 2 guys that much, especially when Allen is in decline. So why would you not take the best WR talent in the draft, if he were available? Seems like really poor roster management to me. Especially when you consider that WR's have become 2nd behind only QB's in avg salary of the top players.
    Strongly agree with the second point. I love Keenan, but my gut feeling is we should move on from him sooner rather than later. I think the writing is also on the wall with Mike's new contract, Palmer being drafted last year and significant evidence that we're looking at a WR in the first this year. Next year, we will hopefully be picking nearer to the end of the first round where the top 4-5 receiver prospects are already gone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X