• Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Zion Johnson would be a very nice add...he is definitely in my cluster.
    Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

I'm still on board with keeping Fieler at LG but that might prove to be a luxury we can't afford.
      If the plan IS to move him to RT as the starter, it would make sense to me why that would be top secret and why we haven't shown much interest in FA RTs
      Darius "4.36" Davis
      top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I might have been Darrisaws biggest detractor last year...but nursing a core muscle injury would have explained my chief issue with him...which was always doing just enough, and not looking for more work when the play was still running...now that I know what the issue was, you can see it in the film...he even comes of the field in a few games for several plays...

So to be fair, he may well yet be a good nfl tackle...but still prefer Slater.
        At least we didn't join the Alex Leatherwood in round 1 bandwagon. You guys know who you are!

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

At least we didn't join the Alex Leatherwood in round 1 bandwagon. You guys know who you are!
          I don't remember anyone touting Leatherwood here.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I don't remember anyone touting Leatherwood here.
            There's a tiny few. Not naming names *cough (rhymes with ColtCut) cough*.

Comment

• Absent re-signing White (which I would like to see us do), I see our likely first round possibilities as RT, DT (3-4 DE and 3-4 NT), and ILB. We need depth help at RB, CB, EDGE, WR, S and DT (3-4 DE and NT). We need starting help at RG and P, but there is no first round value for those positions in this year's draft. The draft picture is beginning to take shape at least to some degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

First, comparing Penning to Brown is quite possibly misleading and skills that make you king of the mountain at Northern Iowa might not easily translate to the NFL.

Second, what NFL teams think about a players evaluation, and what the media thinks are not necessarily in congruence: Steelers have met with Zion Johnsonn 5 times.
                Mahomes/Rivers were 2nd rounders at this time.

Third, vets help rookies grow: having Storm/Pip as people to go to on technique probably is not a good thing for a rook.

Fourth, replacing your LG with a young 1rst round pick could solidify that side of the Oline for the next 8 - 10 years.

Fifth, Feiler has played RT in the NFL quite a bit: you are more likely to resolve the position next year with Feiler, as opposed to some guy
                who wiped the floor with division II talent - and i didn't see him wiping the floor with North Dakota State defensive players.
                You are really getting desperate with your extremely biased and unsupported discussion of Penning.

1. Ridiculous. Penning is younger and better than Brown and everyone except you can see that as plain as day, which is why just about everyone thinks Penning is a first round selection while Brown was not selected until round 3. Penning played LT over Brown and it was not because Penning (the squat record holder at UNI) lacked the strength to play RT. It was because he is the better player--period.

2. Pathetic. Watch the draft and see for yourself. Absent an unknown medical condition or personality issue, Penning is a round 1 lock versus Brown in round 3.

3. Storm/Pip are irrelevant just as they were for Slater. Penning would be better on day 1 just as Herbert was better than Tyrod Taylor. This is not a close call. We are discussing a first round NFL prospect versus marginal NFL back end of roster type players.

4. There is no clear round 1 OG value in this draft. You can argue Johnson, but his value is lower than #17 overall, probably closer to late 1st/early 2nd. We just signed Feiler specifically to play LG and he did very well for us. If we draft an OG early, he is more likely to start for us at RG as Feiler already occupies LG. If we played Norton over Feiler at RT, we would never play Feiler over the vastly superior Penning at RT.

5. See #4. Your inaccurate analysis regarding Penning is duly noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                  Zion Johnson would be a very nice add...he is definitely in my cluster.
                  He would be a good player for us, but I do not think he represents great value at #17 overall. I see him as a late first round or early second round player. Obviously, a top OT would trump an OG of similar ability for his position.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

If Penning was all that, why did he play in Div 2? Don’t the best recruits end up in Div 1?

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Zion >> Feiler >> Penning

Comment

• Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        If Penning was all that, why did he play in Div 2? Don’t the best recruits end up in Div 1?
                        Not always. Penning is a first round lock, which means that he really is all that.

Comment

• Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                          Zion >> Feiler >> Penning
                          Penning>>Feiler>>Zion.

Comment

Working...
                          X