• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I had Darrisaw graded higher than Slater, I’m not going to be a hypocrite and change my tune now. I mever understood why people thought he wasn’t worth pick #13. Had it not been for the core muscle issues and not being able to do full workouts Darrisaw would’ve been a top ten pick. Once he got on the field he proved me right, Darrisaw is going to be an all pro at some point and so will Slater but with being younger, longer, stronger, and bigger Darrisaw is a better value in the long run, he also has a nastier style that I love to see in offensive linemen. Darrisaw has the measurables that’ll allow him to age better too, once slater loses some of his mobility, the shorter arms and all that stuff might become more apparent, but then again he might find a way to overcome it with technique. Slater is a master technician and I love the kid, but I’m not going to lie and say I’d have picked him over darrisaw.
    The major problem people had with Darrisaw was that he quit too often on plays.
    It wasn't something invented, and it bespeaks to a certain aspect of his personality.

Missing a ton of games with ankle injuries last year did not help that perception - perhaps unfortunate.
    One might reasonably think that he certainly didn't gut it through his injuries.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

The 1st pick will be the telling hand with what they do with Feiler. If they go Zion Johnson, we know Feiler is moving to RT. If they take a RT at 17 or trade back and still draft a RT(I’m hoping for Abe Lucas at the very back end of the 1st). From what I’m reading here, Zion is smart with a high football IQ, and we know Staley loves that.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The major problem people had with Darrisaw was that he quit too often on plays.
        It wasn't something invented, and it bespeaks to a certain aspect of his personality.

Missing a ton of games with ankle injuries last year did not help that perception - perhaps unfortunate.
        One might reasonably think that he certainly didn't gut it through his injuries.
        I might have been Darrisaws biggest detractor last year...but nursing a core muscle injury would have explained my chief issue with him...which was always doing just enough, and not looking for more work when the play was still running...now that I know what the issue was, you can see it in the film...he even comes of the field in a few games for several plays...

So to be fair, he may well yet be a good nfl tackle...but still prefer Slater.
        Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I might have been Darrisaws biggest detractor last year...but nursing a core muscle injury would have explained my chief issue with him...which was always doing just enough, and not looking for more work when the play was still running...now that I know what the issue was, you can see it in the film...he even comes of the field in a few games for several plays...

So to be fair, he may well yet be a good nfl tackle...but still prefer Slater.
          :ygdr:

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
            The 1st pick will be the telling hand with what they do with Feiler. If they go Zion Johnson, we know Feiler is moving to RT. If they take a RT at 17 or trade back and still draft a RT(I’m hoping for Abe Lucas at the very back end of the 1st). From what I’m reading here, Zion is smart with a high football IQ, and we know Staley loves that.
            Maybe its Linderbaum at #17.
            They still haven't signed a backup free agent center, and in a few seasons will need a replacement for Linsley.

If they get their backup center in the draft, it would be on day 3 - and by that time its a crap shoot.

Can Linderbaum be an effective guard in the Chargers offense?
            I know that he is currently light for that position: well, pack on a few pounds.

Give Pips food allowance to him.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Linderbaum wont be playing guard...Parham out of Memphis has Center/guard versatility...depending on our RB plan, we could nab him in the third or 4th round.
              Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Its interesting on how few players are identified as having met with the Chargers on the internet.

There used to be a long list and Telesco usually selected one of them for the 1rst round.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                  Linderbaum wont be playing guard...Parham out of Memphis has Center/guard versatility...depending on our RB plan, we could nab him in the third or 4th round.

Now that i'm reminded, Linderbaum has a sub 31" inch reach.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

If we sign a FA RT, the pick at 17 won’t be OL. No GM is dumb enough to waste their only pick in the first two rounds - during a SB push year - on a bench sitter. It will be someone who can rotate in and have the chance to make a big play when they’re out there due to their exceptional abilities. DB, EDGE, WR, something like that. He’ll use a third on a developmental OL, and that’ll be that.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Agree!

Whatever you think of Penning's future, in the short term he will struggle mightily and need help against AFC west pass rushers and people here will hate him.
                      Bringing in Chandler Jones and Randy Gregory just sealed the deal.

Bringing in someone like Turner is the only rational reason why they would take Penning - they think his upside is tremendous and are willing to wait.

However, if true - his 2nd contract would be enormous and they would have already signed Slater to an enormous contract.

From whatever angle i look at things, Penning will not be the selection. Penning's forte is run blocking and the Chargers are a pass dominant team,
                      and will continue being so as long as Herbert is the qb.

I'm strongly leaning to Fouts2herbert's idea that Feiler will be the RT, unless Cross drops to them. They'll draft the more sure thing of a guard at #17.
                      The rule of thumb is that the OT should always be drafted over the OG if the players are comparable. Here, I would argue that Penning is actually a better OT than Johnson is an OG. Johnson is an early round 2 guy. Penning is a middle round 1 guy.

Penning would be an immediate improvement over Norton and the degree of improvement would only increase over time as Penning gets more experience.

It is difficult to miss that Penning is better than Spencer Brown and was deemed as such at Northern Iowa. Brown is a solid starter at RT for BUF. A little better than Brown represents Penning's floor, which makes Penning at least an average RT in year one. And he could end up being better than that as he continues to work at his craft before the season begins. It is just pure nonsense to think that he would not be the starter for us in week one.

I do not get the idea behind bringing in a limited player like Billy "12 sacks" Turner, who is not even an upgrade over Norton.

I would have liked T. Brown if we were to go the free agency route, but he just re-signed with the Patriots.

Feiler was a plus LG for us that gave us a very good left side of our OL. Frankly, it would be idiotic to remove him from that role and create an issue LG while not fully resolving the issue at RT, so I really hope we do not consider that for even one second. It is one thing to be forced into a situation like that because of injuries, but to do it voluntarily is not making the best use of our players.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The rule of thumb is that the OT should always be drafted over the OG if the players are comparable. Here, I would argue that Penning is actually a better OT than Johnson is an OG. Johnson is an early round 2 guy. Penning is a middle round 1 guy.

Penning would be an immediate improvement over Norton and the degree of improvement would only increase over time as Penning gets more experience.

It is difficult to miss that Penning is better than Spencer Brown and was deemed as such at Northern Iowa. Brown is a solid starter at RT for BUF. A little better than Brown represents Penning's floor, which makes Penning at least an average RT in year one. And he could end up being better than that as he continues to work at his craft before the season begins. It is just pure nonsense to think that he would not be the starter for us in week one.

I do not get the idea behind bringing in a limited player like Billy "12 sacks" Turner, who is not even an upgrade over Norton.

I would have liked T. Brown if we were to go the free agency route, but he just re-signed with the Patriots.

Feiler was a plus LG for us that gave us a very good left side of our OL. Frankly, it would be idiotic to remove him from that role and create an issue LG while not fully resolving the issue at RT, so I really hope we do not consider that for even one second. It is one thing to be forced into a situation like that because of injuries, but to do it voluntarily is not making the best use of our players.
                        First, comparing Penning to Brown is quite possibly misleading and skills that make you king of the mountain at Northern Iowa might not easily translate to the NFL.

Second, what NFL teams think about a players evaluation, and what the media thinks are not necessarily in congruence: Steelers have met with Zion Johnsonn 5 times.
                        Mahomes/Rivers were 2nd rounders at this time.

Third, vets help rookies grow: having Storm/Pip as people to go to on technique probably is not a good thing for a rook.

Fourth, replacing your LG with a young 1rst round pick could solidify that side of the Oline for the next 8 - 10 years.

Fifth, Feiler has played RT in the NFL quite a bit: you are more likely to resolve the position next year with Feiler, as opposed to some guy
                        who wiped the floor with division II talent - and i didn't see him wiping the floor with North Dakota State defensive players.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                          Zion Johnson is a beast, he’s the type of guy from a physical point of view that would’ve made weight at 300 plus pounds without the extra fat packed on like so many offensive linemen of today. A lot of those guys are naturally 270-285 pounders carrying 50 pounds of extra fat. It wouldn’t surprise me if johnson is under 15% body fat at his weight, the guy is a naturally massive and strong, plus then there’s the off the charts intelligence on par with a justin herbert. No character issues this guy was a ‘legitimate’ student/athlete, and he tested off the charts. I’m not sure why he’smnot being ranked higher on mock drafts, he’s the closest thing I can see to a sure thing from the offensive lineman class. He’s a hard working guy with all the measurables and physical attributes to match. It would be a crying shame if he wasn’t on the radar only because the team wouldn’t consider sliding Fieler over to his natural position. Johnson will grade higher as a rookie at LG than Fieler ever stands to in his career because Fieler struggles against quick short wide body DTs, Fieler is almost 6’7” tall and playing guard is better suited to the lower center of gravity guys.

Fieler’s Pittsburgh RT tape is better than anyone we’ve had at RT in a long long time, I still would like to know what led the steelers to move him inside, it’s not like they’ve had amazing RT play in Pittsburgh since they moved him.
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X