• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If Pip can't beat out Norton next training camp, just waive him....put him out of his misery.
    Bring in a tomato can.
    Norton is a low standard to beat. Many teams started tomato cans that had better stats. If Pipkins can play RT it will help. Our OL needs become
    starting OG and depth at C, OT.
    I'm not endorsing Pip but it's time.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Just on a glance, 3rd round seems a bit too soon for him.
      I agree. I have McKinley as a 4th or 5th rounder.
      OLineCentric

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I’m glad so many of you guys recognize the need to protect justin herbert as priority #1. I don’t understand why any charger fan, or the coaches for that matter, wouldn’t want to give Herbert the best chance to stay healthy.
        I agree that of course we need to solve our need for a real NFL grade RT, it does not mean that we can or have to do that at pick 17(we can draft one, or trade for one)..... at 17, we or any good organization should be choosing BPA who can start and contribute right away..... if a great OT who can start and play well from day one is there, then take him, but dont reach for an iffy guy like we did with Fluker..... this team has alot of holes..... we could use a dominating, complete DT, a complete WR with explosive deep speed, a dominating shut down CB(every team needs at least 2 if not 3 in todays pass happy NFL and Chargers have one).... a great all round LBer, ....a big, fast, strong every down RB, ....another ball hawking safety..... a complete punter who kicks with hang time...... another starting OG..... a 3rd good edge rusher..... a young complete TE who can catch.......

Does everyone really believe Penning will dominate in NFL after dominating lower level competition in college and looking bad against top level competition? and his habit of getting penalties will be a drive killer..... I would feel much better if one of the top 3 OTs fell to us like Slater did...... or one of the top 3 CB's or pass rushers..... draft is deep at WR, and RB...

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree that of course we need to solve our need for a real NFL grade RT, it does not mean that we can or have to do that at pick 17(we can draft one, or trade for one)..... at 17, we or any good organization should be choosing BPA who can start and contribute right away..... if a great OT who can start and play well from day one is there, then take him, but dont reach for an iffy guy like we did with Fluker..... this team has alot of holes..... we could use a dominating, complete DT, a complete WR with explosive deep speed, a dominating shut down CB(every team needs at least 2 if not 3 in todays pass happy NFL and Chargers have one).... a great all round LBer, ....a big, fast, strong every down RB, ....another ball hawking safety..... a complete punter who kicks with hang time...... another starting OG..... a 3rd good edge rusher..... a young complete TE who can catch.......

Does everyone really believe Penning will dominate in NFL after dominating lower level competition in college and looking bad against top level competition? and his habit of getting penalties will be a drive killer..... I would feel much better if one of the top 3 OTs fell to us like Slater did...... or one of the top 3 CB's or pass rushers..... draft is deep at WR, and RB...
          Most mocks have Penning right around #17. IMO, he looks good enough to start right away.
          Where did he look bad against top level competition...? He looked really good at the Senior Bowl. I think he got voted best O-lineman of the week by his peers...

OLineCentric

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Most mocks have Penning right around #17. IMO, he looks good enough to start right away.
            Where did he look bad against top level competition...? He looked really good at the Senior Bowl. I think he got voted best O-lineman of the week by his peers...
            He looked good in drills. Not so good in the game.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

He looked good in drills. Not so good in the game.
              I disagree. He had 1 bad rep in the game... when DeAngelo Malone surprised him and got under his pads.
              I thought the rest of his reps were really good.
              OLineCentric

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I disagree. He had 1 bad rep in the game... when DeAngelo Malone surprised him and got under his pads.
                I’ll trust you’re judgement over mine on that, hopefully if we pick him he continues his positive growth.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I’ll trust you’re judgement over mine on that, hopefully if we pick him he continues his positive growth.
                  He's not even my first choice @#17. But... if the GM and coaches like him best... I have no problem with him.
                  Like you, I'm a bit concerned about the lack of tape against top-end players.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

He's not even my first choice @#17. But... if the GM and coaches like him best... I have no problem with him.
                    I’m more worried about the penalties, don’t want to see a tough third-and-eight become a tougher third-and-eighteen, especially division games against the pass rushers we’ll face.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

He went up against Eyioma Uwazurike (#58), who is a day 3 pick, in the Iowa State game.
                      I don't take requests, so please do not ask, I will ignore them. Please consider supporting me making these videos over at Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/D...

Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-23-2022, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Penning has too many negatives working against him to select 17th overall. His grade should be late 1st early 2nd. His height is really a disadvantage for him especially with tight hips and not a natural knee bender. He struggles against speed lower division, he struggled against speed against some of the better players in the Senior Bowl, can’t imagine number of holding penalties/personal fouls in NFL? He’s even worse playing guard, forget LT so throw out any redeeming versatility or fall back position. Level of competition not exactly SEC.
                        Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 04-23-2022, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

He went up against Eyioma Uwazurike (#58), who is a day 3 pick, in the Iowa State game.
                          I don't take requests, so please do not ask, I will ignore them. Please consider supporting me making these videos over at Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/D...

Wow that’s ugly.

Comment

Working...
                          X