• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They didn’t play in the Superbowl either.
    But they did finish 25-9 combined.

Super Bowl teams: NT Greg Gaines (4th round). Sebastian Joseph-Day (6th round), BJ Hill (3rd rounder acquired via FA), DJ Reader (5th rounder acquired via FA)
    Interesting... very interesting...
    OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

The Chargers have spent 9 years applying the model to not spend big on a couple big impact FAs but instead sign a larger number of mid-level FAs. It hasn’t worked. Maybe lets try the other approach. CB1 is critical in AFCW - juggle and adjust CAP numbers somewhere else.
      That was when they had a veteran QB on a veteran QB contract.
      Last year they spent good money on their OL (Linsley/Feiler). This year they spent good money on WR (MW re-sign) and EDGE (Mack).

I think they can get a good slot corner in the 1st round... and have him for 5 years. I want to keep ASJ outside (concussion) and Vato's contract is up after 2 years. I doubt he gets re-signed with DJ's and JH's second contracts coming up.
      OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

That was when they had a veteran QB on a veteran QB contract.
        Last year they spent good money on their OL (Linsley/Feiler). This year they spent good money on WR (MW re-sign) and EDGE (Mack).

I think they can get a good slot corner in the 1st round... and have him for 5 years. I want to keep ASJ outside (concussion) and Vato's contract is up after 2 years. I doubt he gets re-signed with DJ's and JH's second contracts coming up.
        They did spend decent money on OL, though not huge FA$. And it worked as far as they went. They just stopped short at RT and we paid for that error. Lindsey was a great signing, but how many FAs have we signed for $12M/yr the last 9 years? $12/per is not huge anymore in FA terms. Feiler was $7M/per - which is the level I described - mid level FA.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

They did spend decent money on OL, though not huge FA$. And it worked as far as they went. They just stopped short at RT and we paid for that error. Lindsey was a great signing, but how many FAs have we signed for $12M/yr the last 9 years? $12/per is not huge anymore in FA terms. Feiler was $7M/per - which is the level I described - mid level FA.
          Franklin/Bulaga/Okung/Pouncey: one raw guard and 3 others forever battling injuries and headed on a downward slope
          Telesco has been trying to pound square pegs into round holes (Fluker, Lamp, Feeney, Tevi, Watt) or grabbing injury prone vets forever on the Oline.

Linsley/Feiler: none fit into the previous category.
          Telesco is breaking away from old habits.

:below:

BTW, Bobby Wagner is not an injury prone vet.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I'd like to see them do that along the DL this year. They did bring in FA Linval Joseph a couple of years ago. But he's older now and shouldn't be re-signed. I'd like to see them go get Sebastian Joseph-Day or Austin Johnson. Then re-sign Justin Jones. All solid players that shouldn't cost too much (mid-level cost).

They spent decent money @RT on Bulaga. Unfortunately, injury negated that move. Time to fix RT through the draft... that the way to fix OT without spending a lot of money.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Mocks of the day. Lots of ways to approach this.
              snip 1 031322.PNG

snip 2 031322.PNG

snip 3 031322.PNG
              Attached Files
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

If the Chargers spend their 2 first picks on offense, I don't understand anything.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                  If the Chargers spend their 2 first picks on offense, I don't understand anything.
                  Offense wins in the playoffs. Offense wins in OT. And when the BPA is a player you need, you take him.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Best way to get a team to stop running against you is to get a big lead.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                      What do you mean? We just used a second rounder on defense!

:wtf:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Best way to get a team to stop running against you is to get a big lead.
                        Also winning TOP keeping a defense fresh in the 4th, I can see a strategy of good pass rush with a good secondary now that Mack is on board. Improve the run D to at least close to average. Best we can hope for going into next season if taking a OT early.
                        Peyton Manning won a lot of games with an average defense, he built a lead and the Freeney/Mathis pass rush had enough juice to hold off most teams in the playoffs with the exception of the Patriots and Chargers.(They beat the Pats once the championship year while the Chargers managed to choke twice against the Jets and once against the Pats) Of course we are hoping to build a D better than those Colts teams.
                        Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 03-13-2022, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

It can, but it depends on how quickly teams run their plays.

If a team is running hurry up, then they can get more plays in, and it is the number of plays that tires players out, not the time between plays, which make a lot of the TOP.

Comment

Working...
                          X