• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Is there any DT in this year's draft that is anywhere near quick and dynamic as Donald?

We should consider adding help at DE and NT (both are interior DL positions), but there isn't anyone in this draft as quick and who creates penetration inside anything like Chris Jones and Aaron Donald.

There are a number of power players who can create some penetration, but let's not confuse them with the same level of performance as Jones and Donald.
    I have seen nobody close to the prospects that were Chris Jones and Jeffrey Simmons.....i loved Chris Jones coming out of Mississippi State.
    I was disappointed when the Chargers selected Henry.

The resurrection of the Charger D will not come thru superior DT play next year: find another position for that.
    They certainly need to get solid play from that position.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
      At #17 we probably can draft a true shutdown corner and day 1 starter. RT and Dline are question marks when drafting at #17. Do we want question marks or do we whip out the checkbook there. Receivers are just another target for our QB to play with. Too many of our d players that were drafted last year really didn't contribute or surprise us other than Rumph. We expected at least decent play from Samuel so that's a given. The sixth and seventh round is like trying to eat leftover food you left in the back of the fridge for a week and aren't sure it's safe to eat!

:whistlin:
      If you can get a true shutdown corner at #17, you get him.
      What 'probable' shut down corner will be available there?

Its more probable someone there ends up with a solid #2 corner or bust.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Seems like the Charge towards CB1 via free agency, draft developmental DB (slot/outside) and hope you upgrade roster significantly.

It's not easy to address via draft picking middle of the pack.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

"True shut sown corner" isn't real until it happens. We're just guessing.
          Then there's who comes off the board. Again we're just guessing. Like Herbert at #6? DJ at 17? Adderly at #60?
          "Sauce" Gardner may be available at 17 I'd probably take him. But without knowing the actual choices that will be on the board, it's a solid maybe.
          Talent is 1st consideration at pick 17, position decides close evaluations. Sauce is currently ranked as the 20 - 22 best player in the draft.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

"True shut sown corner" isn't real until it happens. We're just guessing.
            Then there's who comes off the board. Again we're just guessing. Like Herbert at #6? DJ at 17? Adderly at #60?
            "Sauce" Gardner may be available at 17 I'd probably take him. But without knowing the actual choices that will be on the board, it's a solid maybe.
            Talent is 1st consideration at pick 17, position decides close evaluations. Sauce is currently ranked as the 20 - 22 best player in the draft.
            But the guess has to be based on reasonable expectations: i.e., the type of corner that typically gets picked around #17.
            Corners with elite traits and consistently outstanding tape go quickly and typically do not make it to #17.

Could the Chargers draft a 'shutdown' corner at #17 - sure! However, it isn't likely.
            There will be a handful of choices: often the raw guy with elite traits, or the guy with certain un-measurable qualities who both turn into studs are not selected at #17

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
              Day One...
              • Mar 2019
              • Brentwood, 94513
              • Send PM

I like the idea of getting two to three corners in the draft. We need more talent on special teams and still bring talent to secondary.

RT is still my wish for the 1st round. But we need to see how the board falls to us, so we can’t be locked in.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

My mock of the day. I couldn't pass up Jones and those 36" arms in the 5th.

draft 020722.PNG
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Jones is the ideal developmental OT. Has frame, length and feet. Very intelligent, well spoken and teammate. Who displays growth in his game and willingness to work for more gains/polish.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Just from my mock drafts, the 2nd looks like a great place to get IDL. The 1st is too early (IMO) and they're gone by the 3rd.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Is there any DT in this year's draft that is anywhere near quick and dynamic as Donald?

We should consider adding help at DE and NT (both are interior DL positions), but there isn't anyone in this draft as quick and who creates penetration inside anything like Chris Jones and Aaron Donald.

There are a number of power players who can create some penetration, but let's not confuse them with the same level of performance as Jones and Donald.
                      Devonte Wyatt is DT1 in this class. Highest pass rush grade @ the Senior Bowl in one on one's and 7 on 7 drills according to PFF 94.8%.

Aaron Donald 6010 285lbs 32 5/8" arms 9 7/8" hands

Devonte Wyatt 6026 307lbs 33" arms 9 7/8" hands

Wait for combine to get rest of numbers, no way Wyatt is Donald explosive 4.68 40 or 35 reps but who is? Still a decent comp to model your game after.

There isn't a CB in this draft, who will be available #17 that I would take over him. Day one starter.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                        Wait for combine to get rest of numbers, no way Wyatt is Donald explosive 4.68 40 or 35 reps but who is? Still a decent comp to model your game after.
                        That would be the point, although the measurables you point to don't prove either is explosive. just saying. Donald is incredibly quick and has explosiveness, but there is no really good measure of it that I am aware of. There are not many guys who are as explosive as Donald, and too many people convince themself that a good player at the right position can have the same impact as a great player (at that same position) can.

Aaron Donald is among the top 5 players in the NFL at any position, and given his unusual size and abilities, he is pretty much a unique player. So the idea of finding comps for him is kinda silly.

Wyatt is not Aaron Donald and anyone who projects him to be the next Aaron Donald is simply kidding themselves.

This has nothing to do with Wyatt not being a good player, I think he may be a great player and is actually one of the players I hope we can get, but any thought of Aaron Donald as a comp is absurd.

There are literally dozens of college football DT every year going back as long as they have been doing this (and a lot longer really) with similar physical measurables to Aaron Donald who will never, ever be considered to be NFL players (for good reason). His measurables really have nothing to do with why Donald is a good player. They simply can't play like him. Div II and III are full of guys his size and guys who can run a 40 similar to him. They just cannot play football like him. If you want to find a similar player to Aaron Donald, you actually have to do the dirty work and watch guys play football. This idea of finding comps is nice in theory, but there is no replacement to actually watching them play.

What is there to learn about Wyatt in the combine that you don't already know?

As fans we don't get a chance to sit in the individual meetings, and they aren't going to release his medicals to the public. You know what you know about his game by watching him play. He is also a goodish athlete, so there is nothing to answer there. That is it. Anyone who is going to radically change their view of a player like Wyatt at the Underwear Olympics is simply stupid. He needs to go to the combine to do the interviews and medicals, and I hope he does the drills, but I don't see how it would change what I think of him as a player.

There are a few guys who may answer a few unanswered questions in Indy, that may sway people, but all of Wyatt's questions are still going to be there, and how he uses his physical talents is what is important, not what he does in spandex.
                        Last edited by Steve; 02-08-2022, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

I have seen nobody close to the prospects that were Chris Jones and Jeffrey Simmons.....i loved Chris Jones coming out of Mississippi State.
                          I was disappointed when the Chargers selected Henry.

The resurrection of the Charger D will not come thru superior DT play next year: find another position for that.
                          They certainly need to get solid play from that position.
                          Chris Jones was one of the guys I liked, but honestly, there are guys like him every year who don't pan out. I actually liked the Henry pick.

At some point we need more help on the DL, so we need to draft a DT. If there is a NT there, fine. We could also use a DE (they are a DT really). If there is someone like Devonte Wyatt, I think he could be a very good player, and I think he has some similarities to Jones. I also wouldn't mind bringing back Linval Joseph, if the price is right. We need a 3rd DT to rotate with Jones (who we might also lose) and Tillery (assuming he develops), so a high pick isn't a bad idea even if both Jones and Tillery finally play up to their potential, which they haven't. Covington is a nice depth guy, but he is a guy we need to upgrade over, although as a 4th DT he is OK.

We do have other needs on D (CB, S, ILB, OLB), so I am not totally sold on DL, but if the right guy is there, we need one no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                          X