• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

In retrospect here’s what DJ said about/ranked JH10 before the draft.
    Put Sewell headup vs Slater in the OK drill and Penei buries him into the turf 9 out of 10.
    Everyone should do their own scouting.

20) Justin Herbert, QB

School: Oregon | Year: Senior

Previous rank: 20

Herbert has exceptional size, mobility and arm strength. He has quick feet in his setup and he bounces on his toes once he gets to the top of his drop. His motion can be a little robotic at times, but the ball comes out tight with high RPMs. He has a big arm, but his placement is a little inconsistent. His front side flies open on some throws, impacting his accuracy. That can be corrected. He has shown the ability to touch up the ball underneath and makes some impressive throws on the run. He is a very good runner. He builds speed and he is effective on zone reads. The biggest area he needs to improve is his lack of anticipation. He waits too long to cut it loose. According to everyone at Oregon, his work ethic and character are off the charts. Overall, Herbert has some special physical tools, but he needs to play with less caution and learn to embrace an attacking mentality.
    Interesting...well, overall Jeremiah liked him, pointed out a few areas that needed correction...looks like Sewell is in good company...bottom line though, I don't think Sewell is there at #13 anyway, I don't want to trade the farm for him, but I'll take AVT gladly...

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting...well, overall Jeremiah liked him, pointed out a few areas that needed correction...looks like Sewell is in good company...bottom line though, I don't think Sewell is there at #13 anyway, I don't want to trade the farm for him, but I'll take AVT gladly...
      How many posters at TPB thinks AVT can hold up at OLT?

Here is the 2020 PAC-12 championship game where he gives up 7 pressures, 4 QB hits, 2 sacks.
      Thibodeaux is my #1 prospect going into 2022 but not all the pressure came from him.
      AVT is an OG who may eventually work into an NFL OT but not in year 1 or 2.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• JOJAX85
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Irmo, SC
        • Send PM

Here is the 2020 PAC-12 championship game where he gives up 7 pressures, 4 QB hits, 2 sacks.
        Thibodeaux is my #1 prospect going into 2022 but not all the pressure came from him.

I say Herbert goes in to Telesco's office and says, "Do you see that Left Tackle there? I want the one from the other team."

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          Think of the message you’re sending to Herbert if we made a bold move like that. That’s the kind of move that let’s Herbert know we’re investing in his blind side for the long term. A good friend who will be extra motivated to reach his ceiling to directly protect JH.
          2 potentially generational talents, tied by friendship working directly together towards a common goal.
          the only way it could be better is if Sewell played OC!

When it comes time to negotiate that second Herbert contract, good faith might be reciprocated. We already know Herbert is a loyal guy to his hometown of Oregon, I can see the same commitment to us, his first and last NFL team if we do things right.
          The problem - yes its a bold move but Telesco has to look at the BIGGER picture of the team
          Linval Joseph - last year of his deal
          Damion Square - free agent and I saw a decline last year
          Chris Harris and Casey Hayward - both in the last year of their contracts and its not guarantee Hayward is back this year
          Justin Jones - a free agent after this year
          Ingram - probably not coming back and he shouldn't
          Nwosu - last year of his deal

So, yes, we all know LT is a huge need but when I look at the roster - I also see needs at IDL, Edge, CB, and of course OT and another OL. If you trade for Sewell - you have so many other needs not filled for this year or the future. If he gets to 10 - maybe. But not from 13 to top 5.

So the Chargers really to me do not have the draft capital to spend away on Penei when they need to fill these other positions this year so the rookies can either take over this eyar or next year when a lot of these guys are gone.

Stay at 13 - stay the course - do your damn homework scouting and coaching. Find the right player - OT hopefully but OG in R1 works too.

Comment

• JOJAX85
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Irmo, SC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The problem - yes its a bold move but Telesco has to look at the BIGGER picture of the team
            Linval Joseph - last year of his deal
            Damion Square - free agent and I saw a decline last year
            Chris Harris and Casey Hayward - both in the last year of their contracts and its not guarantee Hayward is back this year
            Justin Jones - a free agent after this year
            Ingram - probably not coming back and he shouldn't
            Nwosu - last year of his deal

So, yes, we all know LT is a huge need but when I look at the roster - I also see needs at IDL, Edge, CB, and of course OT and another OL. If you trade for Sewell - you have so many other needs not filled for this year or the future. If he gets to 10 - maybe. But not from 13 to top 5.

So the Chargers really to me do not have the draft capital to spend away on Penei when they need to fill these other positions this year so the rookies can either take over this eyar or next year when a lot of these guys are gone.

Stay at 13 - stay the course - do your damn homework scouting and coaching. Find the right player - OT hopefully but OG in R1 works too.
            I do understand looking at the big picture. My thoughts are this. We aren't Winning the Super Bowl NEXT year. But we could in 2 years. So the way I see it, we have 2 FA periods & 2 drafts to get that done. Get Sewell now, because I don't think there will be a LT coming out next year that has a ceiling as high as his. And even if there is, we'll have to trade up to get him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I do understand looking at the big picture. My thoughts are this. We aren't Winning the Super Bowl NEXT year. But we could in 2 years. So the way I see it, we have 2 FA periods & 2 drafts to get that done. Get Sewell now, because I don't think there will be a LT coming out next year that has a ceiling as high as his. And even if there is, we'll have to trade up to get him.
              If anything - I want Telesco to be less aggressive this draft class. No trading up losing draft picks; no Sammie Small school projects - meaning trying for the Grand Slam. I will take a bunch of doubles. If the guy isn't there at 13 and there is a chance to trade back to get another 3rd rounder - I am for that

I think the Chargers could really get some good draft picks with this core they have four the next four years - that making sure you address the major needs (OL, DL, CB) plus fixing Special Teams in free agency - they could really be much better over trading a lot of draft capital for Sewell.

Comment

• eaterfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

I agree with you for the most part. I do think the Chargers could contend next year. If the coaching is really good, this team could compete!

But some of the needs he pointed out are coming up after next season. You are exactly right, we have 2 drafts and 2 free agent periods to fix those. We also don't have to fill all those with premier talent. Fill premium positions with premium talent. LT, pass rusher, and pass rusher should be the priority over those periods. Get acceptable talent at the other spots and the team should be okay. I think this team will fill one or two of those holes in free agency this year before the draft. It's difficult to project how many holes we'll have heading into the draft.

I wouldn't trade to 3 to get Sewell, but if he makes it past the Bengals then I start making serious calls.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  JH3 and Me
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Shaddup, yes we are!

Trade next years first and go get him, because it’s a Rd2 pick. We will win the SB by so much that NFL officially designates Pick #32 as the first pick of the 2nd round to calm the nationwide jeers to “BREAK THEM UP!”
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Shaddup, yes we are!

Trade next years first and go get him, because it’s a Rd2 pick. We will win the SB by so much that NFL officially designates Pick #32 as the first pick of the 2nd round to calm the nationwide jeers to “BREAK THEM UP!”
                    I would be more inclined trading next years first than losing draft capital this year.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      JH3 and Me
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would be more inclined trading next years first than losing draft capital this year.
                      I kind of hate future mortgages because I’m still scarred by the Beathard years when he systematically destroyed the roster.

I of course jest we’ll win a blowout SB next year but hey, who really knows. i get bored with all of the negative Nancy’s predicting gloom in mid February. I offer the following philosophy for life to my dour amigos

- You gotta believe something; believe the best possible version until reality proves otherwise. You will be happier more of the time
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Ninja, on that sack AVT allowed at 4:17, AVT had his man boxed out at one point, but looked to me he needed a bit more punch to keep him away longer. What's your take on that?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I kind of hate future mortgages because I’m still scarred by the Beathard years when he systematically destroyed the roster.

I of course jest we’ll win a blowout SB next year but hey, who really knows. i get bored with all of the negative Nancy’s predicting gloom in mid February. I offer the following philosophy for life to my dour amigos

- You gotta believe something; believe the best possible version until reality proves otherwise. You will be happier more of the time
                          Me too. And I also not that enamored with the players Telesco has both traded up for and his sammie small schools. Thats a lot of wasted draft capital. Kenneth Murray is still tbd.

I think the Chargers have their stars in Herbert, Bosa, Allen, maybe James. Yes, they need LT and Edge Rusher. But McNeill was a 2nd round pick. There are good players out there. Telesco just needs to skip the love of the small school boom or bust; not trade up and maybe not pick a ND guy just to see the results

And better coaching and player development might help too!

Comment

Working...
                          X