• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

My preference would be to deep dive and answer this question, which prospect(s) improve this roster most going forward in descending order? At least that’s how I would construct the Chargers Big Board.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Ask just about every player entering the draft, they will tell you they can play everything. This time of year, if he is trying to get drafted high, he isn't going to say no to any position.

That being said, I agree, he can play OLB. He is a 43 OLB for Penn State. He also plays the MLB spot fo them. And he will play on the edge vs 2 TE sets, and comes off the edge in short yardage sets. So, he can do all 3 true LB spots in the 43. Most guys who can do that, will also be solid Mike or Mack LB in the 34.

Eventually, I think he would be a pretty good edge rusher but that is mostly based on the fact that he is a good athlete with all the physical skills. He has just a smidge of experience in college as a pass rusher. It think it is silly to think he is going to dominate right out of the gate against NFL OL at something he is going to be learning to do. He

Parsons was used extensively as a blitzer, and he is reallly good at it. He is good at timing his rush, and he understands what the other guys on the stunts are doing, so he finds the gaps and can come through untouched, either because he has timed the rush and the OL has gone to block somone else, or he has just confused the OL and then he can run past them. In the NFL, he is going to have a much tougher job of doing that. Add to it that he doesn't use his hands well. And the Penn State D is schemed totally around what he is doing and he usually has a DL lining up over the nearest OL, so he hasn't had to beat blockers force on force.

It is just he would be a much bigger impact playing ILB, a position he has played in the last few years, against college competition, vs being an edge rusher. He can certainly develop into an OLB, but he shows little in the way of having the skills to do it right now.

If I had Parsons, I would line him up at ILB and if I wanted to use him as a rusher, I would blitz him and game him. Put Bosa and Nwosu outside, and it will give him room to stunt and run games with the edge guys. Parsons is great at attacking down the line, and while he isn't asked to read and shuffle down the line, he flashes enough of that he looks like he would excell there too. I think he will eventually develop into a pretty good coverage guy. He is pretty ordinary at it now, but he hasn't been playing ILB that much, and is usually asked to blitz in the Penn State D, so like most college LB, he should develop as a coverage guy, it will take some time. He is a solid guy now, but once he improves his technique and reads, I think he may excel at it. But he is going to be like Murray, in that he has the tools, but hasn't been asked to cover much, so he could be better at it.
      Actually he has played LB for only two years as he opted out of last season. I read a coach for Penn st say they were planning on using him more on the Edge this season but he opted out.

Id love to have him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
        My preference would be to deep dive and answer this question, which prospect(s) improve this roster most going forward in descending order? At least that’s how I would construct the Chargers Big Board.
        LT -only say that as right now the Left Tackle on the roster is Pipkins or Storm Norton. So its the biggest need and would also enhance the roster the most as it affects a lot of what is done on offense

CB - they really don't have a "boundary" corner back opposite Davis

Safety - might actually put this higher than Edge because with Bosa - they have an Edge, plus many pieces on the DLine and LBs in place, a Safety next to DJ33 is a need - just not sure where the safeties rank in the draft

depth at OL, Edge and TE still needed

Comment

• eaterfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
          I think it depends on your definition of going forward. Are we talking next year, two years or five years down the road? If it's next year we can look at the holes currently on the roster. If it's two years we can evaluate using the current roster. 5 years is basically asking who is the best player available in our opinion. Also, are we looking at who would improve it the most and only allowing ourselves to evaluate using this draft to improve this roster? Can we imagine future drafts and FA periods. For example, Slater may end up being a top 10 OT in the league. That would improve the OL. Parsons may be 3rd best off ball linebacker. That would greatly improve the team, but I think we could get a top 10 off ball linebacker in FA in one of the next 3 years. I don't think we'll ever get the chance to get a top 10 LT for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I think it depends on your definition of going forward. Are we talking next year, two years or five years down the road? If it's next year we can look at the holes currently on the roster. If it's two years we can evaluate using the current roster. 5 years is basically asking who is the best player available in our opinion. Also, are we looking at who would improve it the most and only allowing ourselves to evaluate using this draft to improve this roster? Can we imagine future drafts and FA periods. For example, Slater may end up being a top 10 OT in the league. That would improve the OL. Parsons may be 3rd best off ball linebacker. That would greatly improve the team, but I think we could get a top 10 off ball linebacker in FA in one of the next 3 years. I don't think we'll ever get the chance to get a top 10 LT for the foreseeable future.
            You just defined why we have had a poor OL - we passed on several chances to add a solid OT and yet there are many who are enamored of players at other positions because it's easy to see they will be impact players and it's a bit harder to see that an OT will be an impact player.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

You just defined why we have had a poor OL - we passed on several chances to add a solid OT and yet there are many who are enamored of players at other positions because it's easy to see they will be impact players and it's a bit harder to see that an OT will be an impact player.
              There is zero doubt to me that adding a top flight OT will fill both the biggest need and add the most value to the team.

Just when picking 13 - still have to take into account are you not drafting top flight talent to fill a need. At present-- maybe Jaycee Horn is the only other player at 13 that might be taken ahead of OT (all things equal, talent, ranking on the board, etc)

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

There is zero doubt to me that adding a top flight OT will fill both the biggest need and add the most value to the team.

Just when picking 13 - still have to take into account are you not drafting top flight talent to fill a need. At present-- maybe Jaycee Horn is the only other player at 13 that might be taken ahead of OT (all things equal, talent, ranking on the board, etc)
                This is difficult for me to say but I recognize that as things are right now, the for a CB is probably as big as the need at OT.

Look at the first round picks by TT in the last few years -
                Fluker, Verrett, Gordon, Bosa, M Will, Tillery, Herbert

It looks to me like he drafts for PON in the first round. If he continues that trend, we can expect an LOT or a CB this year.
                The year he took Fluker he really stretched it to get his PON guy - all the best OT's were already off the board by our pick and he should have gone BPA, but he went PON even then.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Parsons, Surtain, Horn for me. But if that player is Slater thats a tough choice. But i have taken those guys in Sims over Slater knowing i can likely get Little later but that dont always happen. But the Sims arent that realistic imo. Somtimes i take Slater over one or two of those guys.

Parsons been falling to me often lately. But again, those Simualtors dont make me think thats is going to happen.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                    Hate to burst your bubble guys, but neither Patrick Surtain nor Micah Parsons are making it to #13.

I don't see how either make it passed DAL or NYG.
                    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Because they’ll both take OTs.
                    I doubt it. Sewell will be long gone. Slater...? Maybe one of them.

But Dallas has lots of money tied up in Smith and Collins. They need both a SLB and a CB.
                    The Giants just drafted Thomas last year and still have Solder (no cap savings if cut this year). ILB Reggie Ragland ($1.1 mil) seems the guy to replace.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

This is big for us. Good or bad is yet to be determined.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        This is big for us. Good or bad is yet to be determined.

Wow. Put Miami down for an OLT at 12. Or maybe they trade down a few spots with The Cheats and pick up a few more picks.

And for SF, they are after the 3rd best qb? Risky for the price they paid.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Wow. Put Miami down for an OLT at 12. Or maybe they trade down a few spots with The Cheats and pick up a few more picks.

And for SF, they are after the 3rd best qb? Risky for the price they paid.
                          Miami is picking 6th. They traded back up w/ Philly....who is now picking 12th. I dont think a OT is what they are looking for. Wow cant think of a huge tarde going on this early before.

Comment

Working...
                          X