• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

My first round cluster. Taken from the latest PFF mock.
    2 guys. That's it. No trade down. No trade up. Just do it.

13.T RASHAWN SLATER, NORTHWESTERN

The Chargers should strive to find a new player at four of the five starting spots along the offensive line this offseason. There’s a debate as to whether Slater can hold up at tackle and should be played at guard at the next level — he doesn’t have the longest arms and is a bit undersized — but we believe he’ll hold up just fine at tackle.

From a technical and production standpoint, there’s nothing not to like with Slater. He performed at a high level at right tackle as an underclassman in 2017 and 2018, earning PFF grades of 75.0 and 76.6. He then moved over to left tackle for 2019 where he made his name known as one of the most polished tackles in the country, recording a 90.0 PFF grade with just five total pressures allowed across 355 pass-block snaps and 11 games.

19. T CHRISTIAN DARRISAW, VIRGINIA TECH

Darrisaw didn’t quite break Penei Sewell's record for the highest single-season PFF grade by a Power 5 tackle (95.8), but he certainly challenged it, and he did so despite going against far stiffer competition. Darrisaw led all Power 5 tackles in both pass- and run-blocking grade this year, culminating in a 95.6 PFF overall grade for the season. The Virginia Tech left tackle logged 293 pass-block snaps across 10 starts in 2020, yet he allowed just six pressures, all of which were hurries. He also notched the highest positively graded run-block rate in the Power 5 for his efforts as a people-mover in the Hokies' zone-rushing attack.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

2021 NFL Draft offensive tackle rankings

By Michael Renner, PFF
      Feb 19, 2021

After one of the best tackle classes in recent memory in terms of blue-chip talent, the 2021 tackle class brings unprecedented depth. As it stands, all 10 of the players below are among the top 55 on PFF’s draft board and eight are in the top 40. It’s a rare class where you won’t necessarily have to snag one early to get a quality player.

Superlatives

Best Feet: Rashawn Slater, Northwestern

Most Physical: Penei Sewell, Oregon

Best Pass Sets: Rashawn Slater, Northwestern

Best Gap Scheme: Penei Sewell, Oregon

Best Zone Scheme: Penei Sewell, Oregon

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon

Sewell’s dominance makes the above superlatives relatively boring. He’s a different breed of athlete than you almost ever see at the tackle position. And it pops on his tape play after play.

Sewell is rare in every sense of the word. It’s mind-blowing watching him move around the football field with such ease to know that he was listed as the heaviest tackle on this list. At 19 years old last season, Sewell tipped the scales at a hefty 330 pounds and put together the highest-graded season from a Power Five tackle in PFF college history. I think he might be good.

2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern

Slater is about as clean as it gets from a technical and consistency standpoint for an offensive line prospect. It’s why after two years of starting at right tackle, Slater allowed only five pressures on 355 pass-blocking snaps at left tackle in 2019 before opting out this past year. He handled Chase Young and the Ohio State defensive line as well as anyone else in the country that season.

He’s a super athlete capable of even the most difficult of cut-offs at the second level. The knocks against him are his arm length and play strength. For that reason, former Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa gave him the most fits in his college career. It’s why you’ll see many clamoring for Slater to move to guard. I’m of the opinion that it was so infrequently an issue that he at least deserves a shot at proving himself at the more valuable tackle position first.

3. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech

Darrisaw has arguably the most shock in his paws after top dog Penei Sewell in the draft class. When he punches guys in pass protection, they feel it.

It’s a big reason why he utterly dominated in a conference with some legit edge talent. His 95.6 overall grade this past season is the second-highest we’ve ever seen from a Power Five tackle, behind Penei Sewell’s 2019 campaign. He allowed zero sacks, zero hits and only six hurries all season.

If there is a knock against Darrisaw, it’s that Virginia Tech's offense did not resemble an NFL attack in terms of their pass-protection concepts. He had only 73 true pass sets all season long.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        My first round cluster. Taken from the latest PFF mock.
        2 guys. That's it. No trade down. No trade up. Just do it.

13.T RASHAWN SLATER, NORTHWESTERN

The Chargers should strive to find a new player at four of the five starting spots along the offensive line this offseason. There’s a debate as to whether Slater can hold up at tackle and should be played at guard at the next level — he doesn’t have the longest arms and is a bit undersized — but we believe he’ll hold up just fine at tackle.

From a technical and production standpoint, there’s nothing not to like with Slater. He performed at a high level at right tackle as an underclassman in 2017 and 2018, earning PFF grades of 75.0 and 76.6. He then moved over to left tackle for 2019 where he made his name known as one of the most polished tackles in the country, recording a 90.0 PFF grade with just five total pressures allowed across 355 pass-block snaps and 11 games.

19. T CHRISTIAN DARRISAW, VIRGINIA TECH

Darrisaw didn’t quite break Penei Sewell's record for the highest single-season PFF grade by a Power 5 tackle (95.8), but he certainly challenged it, and he did so despite going against far stiffer competition. Darrisaw led all Power 5 tackles in both pass- and run-blocking grade this year, culminating in a 95.6 PFF overall grade for the season. The Virginia Tech left tackle logged 293 pass-block snaps across 10 starts in 2020, yet he allowed just six pressures, all of which were hurries. He also notched the highest positively graded run-block rate in the Power 5 for his efforts as a people-mover in the Hokies' zone-rushing attack.
        I probably am not taking the 19th best player on the board at 13 - granted, who knows where Telesco ranks them. In the first round, picking 13, I do think the talent needs to meet the draft slot. Now if you tell me the Chargers trade down to say 16 and get another pick or two - that makes more sense.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

2021 NFL Draft offensive tackle rankings

By Michael Renner, PFF
          Feb 19, 2021

After one of the best tackle classes in recent memory in terms of blue-chip talent, the 2021 tackle class brings unprecedented depth. As it stands, all 10 of the players below are among the top 55 on PFF’s draft board and eight are in the top 40. It’s a rare class where you won’t necessarily have to snag one early to get a quality player.

Superlatives

Best Feet: Rashawn Slater, Northwestern

Most Physical: Penei Sewell, Oregon

Best Pass Sets: Rashawn Slater, Northwestern

Best Gap Scheme: Penei Sewell, Oregon

Best Zone Scheme: Penei Sewell, Oregon

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon

Sewell’s dominance makes the above superlatives relatively boring. He’s a different breed of athlete than you almost ever see at the tackle position. And it pops on his tape play after play.

Sewell is rare in every sense of the word. It’s mind-blowing watching him move around the football field with such ease to know that he was listed as the heaviest tackle on this list. At 19 years old last season, Sewell tipped the scales at a hefty 330 pounds and put together the highest-graded season from a Power Five tackle in PFF college history. I think he might be good.

2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern

Slater is about as clean as it gets from a technical and consistency standpoint for an offensive line prospect. It’s why after two years of starting at right tackle, Slater allowed only five pressures on 355 pass-blocking snaps at left tackle in 2019 before opting out this past year. He handled Chase Young and the Ohio State defensive line as well as anyone else in the country that season.

He’s a super athlete capable of even the most difficult of cut-offs at the second level. The knocks against him are his arm length and play strength. For that reason, former Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa gave him the most fits in his college career. It’s why you’ll see many clamoring for Slater to move to guard. I’m of the opinion that it was so infrequently an issue that he at least deserves a shot at proving himself at the more valuable tackle position first.

3. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech

Darrisaw has arguably the most shock in his paws after top dog Penei Sewell in the draft class. When he punches guys in pass protection, they feel it.

It’s a big reason why he utterly dominated in a conference with some legit edge talent. His 95.6 overall grade this past season is the second-highest we’ve ever seen from a Power Five tackle, behind Penei Sewell’s 2019 campaign. He allowed zero sacks, zero hits and only six hurries all season.

If there is a knock against Darrisaw, it’s that Virginia Tech's offense did not resemble an NFL attack in terms of their pass-protection concepts. He had only 73 true pass sets all season long.
          Big ? There.

He is a 3rd/4th round prospect for me.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I probably am not taking the 19th best player on the board at 13 - granted, who knows where Telesco ranks them. In the first round, picking 13, I do think the talent needs to meet the draft slot. Now if you tell me the Chargers trade down to say 16 and get another pick or two - that makes more sense.
            I believe many overestimate the talent level difference between the 13th and 19th picks. Those are just numbers. Both are quality first round picks.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I also believe that Slater will be gone by 13. So determining who the 3rd OLT is is a legitimate question.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

I believe many overestimate the talent level difference between the 13th and 19th picks. Those are just numbers. Both are quality first round picks.
                And again, those are not Telesco's rankings - he might have them closer. If the player is a good player, doesn't matter. Only if he is not a good player

But I think the gap between player 13 and player 19 in the first round is larger than say in R2 and later in the draft.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Yep....if you will pick him at 16, you can pick him at 13. Depends on how much you like them and in our case, how much TT and Staley like them. However, im not a fan of Darrisaw so im passing in the first round for him.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Another legitimate question is why pick the 3rd best OT (who can't play LT)
                    when possibly the best DT or Safety is there at 13 ?

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                      Another legitimate question is why pick the 3rd best OT (who can't play LT)
                      when possibly the best DT or Safety is there at 13 ?
                      Because we have exactly zero quality offensive linemen.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Because we have exactly zero quality offensive linemen.
                        And no safety is worth 13 this year....or DT for that matter.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2020
                          • Send PM

Brevin Jordon looks to be an undersized TE who is a solid athlete and offers a diverse route tree range. He is also a decent blocker. If HH is not kept, he might be a guy to target around the 3rd and 4th round.

2021 NFL Draft prospect profile: Brevin Jordan, TE, Miami - Big Blue View

Comment

Working...
                          X