• Show
Clear All
  • JOJAX85
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Irmo, SC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No way id take Rousseau over Surtain or Parsons. For me, with Rouseau on the board and those two gone and Slater gone, its trade down instead of drafting him. Thats me though.
    Guess between those 3 it'd come down to who Staley thinks would be a better fit for his system.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Also don't really need OLineman in the 1st round unless this player has pro bowl potential for the next 5 years in failing that,,,,,, look what the pats did with their Oline when they were winning ... I don't believe they had many 1st round Olineman period. You can get solid olineman in every round of the draft if you have the right skill players.
      "Potential" isn't a high bar to clear, it just depends on whose opinion you value most. It's just a guess.
      The best performing rookie OT last year, Becton, was the 3rd OT taken with pick #11.
      I agree in principal with what you say (kinda). I also fully believe:
      1. Chargers need OL improvement. NOW. Priority #1.
      2. Draft is the best resource.
      3. Odds of getting an impact OL are better early.
      4. Fail to draft a quality OL and LAC's draft team has taken a dump and forced Herbert to wallow in it.
      Last edited by sonorajim; 02-02-2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

According to R. Wilson of CBS ...

5 QBs will be picked in the top 8
        2 OT top 5
        1st def player at 9

I will be very surprised if all that arrive.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Also don't really need OLineman in the 1st round unless this player has pro bowl potential for the next 5 years in failing that,,,,,, look what the pats did with their Oline when they were winning ... I don't believe they had many 1st round Olineman period. You can get solid olineman in every round of the draft if you have the right skill players.
          That's exactly the thinking that got us this wonderful OL we have now.
          Also, you're wrong about the Pats, they have spent a lot of their early picks on the OL.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            That's exactly the thinking that got us this wonderful OL we have now.
            Also, you're wrong about the Pats, they have spent a lot of their early picks on the OL.
            Agree. Let’s prioritize the OL this draft. If we lose JH early by not protecting him similar to Burrow, I don’t think we will be able to go far even with a stellar D. Watching low scoring games is never fun.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
              According to R. Wilson of CBS ...

5 QBs will be picked in the top 8
              2 OT top 5
              1st def player at 9

I will be very surprised if all that arrive.
              I've been saying for a while now, the OTs will rise up the boards in this draft just like most drafts. You have to overdraft them to get them. We have to get one at pick one, at pick two, all potential early starters may well be gone.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Agree. Let’s prioritize the OL this draft. If we lose JH early by not protecting him similar to Burrow, I don’t think we will be able to go far even with a stellar D. Watching low scoring games is never fun.
                I like watching us shut the opponent down. We can't just leave the D out there though. Our O has to make drives, convert good field position to points.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I've been saying for a while now, the OTs will rise up the boards in this draft just like most drafts. You have to overdraft them to get them. We have to get one at pick one, at pick two, all potential early starters may well be gone.
                  We’re in a unique situation where starting 3 or more rookies my be an upgrade
                  typically you don’t want more than 1 or 2 but I really wouldn’t mind seeing us go rounds 1-3 all OL if we don’t go the trade or FA route
                  sorry D, you guys have a genius on your side, do something smart.
                  Darius "4.36" Davis
                  top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

typically you don’t want more than 1 or 2 but I really wouldn’t mind seeing us go rounds 1-3 all OL if we don’t go the trade or FA route
                    Im hoping for a quality UDFA C, a 1st round OLT and young, talented guys to compete for jobs. Replacing two starters should make a big difference.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

The key is making sure we research them extremely well and clearly separate the OT's who should be taken in round one from ones who are clearly a step or more lower.... especially if there is only one or a few who should be able to start as rookies? if there is only one worthy of starting right away or maybe there are 3 or 5? Im no OL expert, but from his film it does appear to me that Sewell looks like a pretty good OT.... and maybe worth trading up for..... all depends on what we do in FA and how many other starters we let go?...

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Excellent point. A solid LT is always at a premium, so grab one at #13 when we have the chance...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

We have plenty of picks in the mid and late rounds to spend on D...I want TWO O-linemen in the first 3 rounds, please...and one decent non-Sammie Small School project or steal in the mid to late rounds...

Comment

Working...
                          X