• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HotOffTheWire
    RSS Feeds
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers' legendary tight end Antonio Gates announces retirement

Antonio Gates is calling it a career. On Tuesday, the Chargers' legendary tight end announced his retirement from the NFL. “I never dreamed that I would play this game of football so long or how fortunate I would be to play it with just one organization,” he said. “I want to thank the Chargers organization, the National Football League, Dean Spanos and the Spanos family for the opportunity to live out a dream and play the game I love.” Gates, 39, did not suit up this season. Before that, he spent 16 consecutive seasons with the Chargers and built a reputation as one of the league’s most dangerous tight ends. Between 2004-11, Gates racked up eight straight Pro Bowl selections and three First-Team All-Pro selections. He topped 1,100 receiving yards twice (2005 and 2009) and flirted with the 1,000-yard mark in 2004, 2006 and 2007. He gave opposing defenses fits in his 30s, too. In 2013, in his age-33 season, he caught 77 passes for 872 yards. Gates was a star on Kent State’s basketball team, but did not play fo

More...
Working...
X